Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Ordered my first Wildhare

Old 02-18-2005, 05:11 AM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered my first Wildhare

I finally got off my butt and ordered my first Wildhare 300LX today. Ordered the hardware package from them for it also. Now the hard part, waiting for it to show up at my door. I have been flying a older AW 29% Edge for a lil while, but I didnt have to assemble it. I bought it RTF. Hope the Wildhare is a easy build. How good are the instructions? I have a New Taurus TS52 to install on the nose. What size spinner am I gonna need for this plane? Should I break the engine in with a 22x8 prop then go bigger after a few gallons? Should I get the spinner cut for the bigger prop so I only need to do this once? I actually bought this engine for another plane but I would have had to hack it up to make it work so I searched and fell in love with Tom's red, white, and blue color scheme 300's. Then had to decide LX or Extra Special. I Would like to start gathering up some more goodies for it before it gets here. Should I use all 8611 servos on this plane or will the 5945mg's be good enough for it. I do know it is getting a 8611 on the rudder for sure. What length servo arms will I need for the control surfaces? Should I go with the H9 links for the surfaces also? If so anyone able to tell me what length to get for those and what to get for the ends? I am going to get the battery system from Fromeco for it. Prob the 4800 mah for the rx and the 2400 mah for ign. Should I get thier fancy switches or will I be ok with a MPI HD switch with the built in charge jack? Thinking about a TBM cf wing tube and maybe landing gear and tailwheel ass if I dont need the weight back there. Can anyone tell me how thier cg was using the standard gear? Well, sorry for all the questions, but if I missed anything important, guys jump in and give me some suggestions.
Thanks, Jeff
Old 02-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ordered my first Wildhare

Let's see if I can remember it all.

The 22-8 prop will probably be fine for most everything, break in and flying. Experimenting later never hurts at all.

All the servo arms should be 1-1/8" single arms.

Rudder arm is a 1-1/2" double arm. SWB has renamed their product descriptions, so that may be a little off, but the lengths are correct. I like the SWB due to the base clamp that they provide.

If you prefer Hitec products over JR, then they will work just fine, but staying with the 8611 on the rudder is a good idea. Very positive with a lot of torque and speed. I used all 8611's in mine, but it comes out a little pricey that way. Then again, I use all 8611's in anything large.

I would go with a 4.8 volt nicad for the ignition. 1,400mAh AA cells max.

Standard DSC super switches are fine. Cermark makes a very large percentage of the switches sold by the other companies for a lesser price. Their servo extensions are also excellent and inexpensive.

The Fromeco 4,800mAh battery is a good choice, tho the 2,400 would work as well. Since you will need a regulator anyway, the Super Reliaswitch would shave a couple of grams over a regular switch and has a built in failsafe. It failsafes to the "on" position should it fail.

You will need (2) 18" extensions for the elevator servos. (2) 12" extensions for the aileron servos.

And possibly 2 more 12" extensions for throttle and choke servo if you go that way.

Everything will balance quite easily with the standard gear, but I DO rather like the C/F wing tube. I'm not too keen on some of the carbon gears, tho.

I've been flying the same plane you selected for a year now, and I think you made an excellent decision. You're gonna love it!!

Pat
Old 02-19-2005, 04:00 PM
plainnnut

Have a question about the taurus engine.

I still debating whether to get the taurus or DA 50. Did you happend to weight the engine. What is the flying weight, that is everything, mounting bolts, mount, plug, ignition, plug, muffler, prop washer and prop nut, without battery and without prop?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:34 PM
blue ice

I have not had a chance to weight it. The reason I bought it was how it is constructed. I like the way the crankshaft is built. Suppose to be the smoothest running 50cc class engine on the market. Here is a link to Bill's website. http://www.taurus-engines.com/taurus_ts52.html
Old 02-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

I promise you one perfect thing..if you do buy the DA, you will never ever regret for a second buying the best engine in it's class, period. I have and love my Brison 3.2, won't sell it, but I bought it used for over 200 bucks less than my DA...but if I ever buy another new gasser, it will be DA every single time no matter what.
ORIGINAL: plainnnut

Have a question about the taurus engine.

I still debating whether to get the taurus or DA 50. Did you happend to weight the engine. What is the flying weight, that is everything, mounting bolts, mount, plug, ignition, plug, muffler, prop washer and prop nut, without battery and without prop?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:56 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's something important to know.

Engines with a piston port setup like the Taurus, and reed valve engines built from converted piston port cylinders like the BME 105 twin, have a limitation in their breathing.

The area where the piston port is eliminates the possibility of having a third bypass port.

The fuel air mixture first goes into the crankcase, then it must "bypass" thepiston to get into the cylinder. All engines have bypass ports front and back, but only purpose built engines like the DA, 3W, and the BME 110 also have bypass ports on the side. This is why the BME 110 puts out so much more power than the 105, it has 3 bypass ports instead of two.

And many engines claim to have 4 or 6 bypass ports. That's because they divide the primary bypass into two channels, so a 4 port is the same as 2 and 6 port is the same as 3.

The Taurus is a good engine but I believe it uses a Sachs cylinder with only front and rear bypass.

TF
Old 02-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

i ordered myself an edge tonite also cant wait to get it its gonna be nice going to gas engines
Old 02-22-2005, 04:00 PM
tacoma

I just order my edge last friday.and I have almost new G62 engine
and I don't know what to do?
if get the electronic ignition for it.
or wait and ge DA 50 engine
only one thing ..the egde 540 is a great airplane I saw Bill Hemple flying
nomatter who you are but that plane is going to make everybody like a professional pilot..
Take care everyone.. and enjoy it.....
Vic
Old 02-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Tired Old Man

Tacoma,

If you have Ralph at RC Ignition do one of his ignition conversions on your G-62 you won't be the least bit sorry. There will be no need at all to purchase another engine for the plane. A G-62 with ignition instead of a magneto is an excellent engine and is a fine powerplant for the plane.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

true, i've seen one of these Wh's fly w/G-62, at sea level with no problems whatsoever, it had the Ralph Cunningham ignition, started easily and flew out of a hover with authority.
Great budget way to get into entry level gassers.
Please don't skimp on the servos, get the best that you can afford.
you can get this bird in the air near 1,400 bucks all in all done w/G-62.
Smokin' hot deal on a terrific plane....
ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Tacoma,

If you have Ralph at RC Ignition do one of his ignition conversions on your G-62 you won't be the least bit sorry. There will be no need at all to purchase another engine for the plane. A G-62 with ignition instead of a magneto is an excellent engine and is a fine powerplant for the plane.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:47 AM
blue ice

Silversurfer, I will be ordering 1.25 SWB servo arms for elevators and ailerons and the rudder will get the 1.50 full arm. Sound right? Also, what size spinner do I need. Got to get these parts lined up. The wait is killing me.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:36 AM
serge1

I am finishing to install the taurus 52 in my 300 LX. I have not weighted the plane yet. I have the DA 50 and the taurus 52 with 10 gallon of fuel in each engines. I can tell you one thing so far: Never underestimate a taurus 52. A very strong engine believe me. Pull easely as much as my DA 50 and run smoother. The DA 50 connecting rod has been changed at 6 gallon. I doubt it will be the case with the Taurus. Here is a pic:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48053.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	233557  
Old 02-23-2005, 02:41 PM
blue ice

serge, thanks for the pic of the engine mounting. It answers a couple of things I was wondering about. Have you done any balancing of your plane yet or are you not that far yet?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:11 PM
serge1

ORIGINAL: blue ice

serge, thanks for the pic of the engine mounting. It answers a couple of things I was wondering about. Have you done any balancing of your plane yet or are you not that far yet?

I am not that far yet. I am working on another plane at the same time. Here is a pic of the engine mount I did with 1/4 plywoods.

Name:	Om33475.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	233681  
Old 02-23-2005, 03:14 PM
serge1

Another..

Name:	Xv63799.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	233683  
Old 02-23-2005, 03:24 PM
serge1

That 22X10 Bolly prop produce awesome thrust on the taurus 52.

Name:	Qn38193.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	233691  
Old 02-23-2005, 03:28 PM
serge1

Tail set up with hinges gap sealed.

Name:	Qo39397.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	233693  
Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 PM
blue ice

Nice pics serge. How thick did you have to make your stand off? I am going to make mine out of aluminum round stock. I noticed you didnt go pull-pull on the rudder. I thought most people that didnt use a G62 needed pull-pull to help in the balancing. I have not decided on the prop yet for sure. Was going to try a 22x8 first, then maybe a 23x8. I wont spend the money on a bolly till I find the right prop size for the engine. You know you are teasing me with all these pics.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:27 PM
serge1

Sorry for teasing you...

Stand off is 1' 5/16. I am not a ''pull pull guy'' so I went with the rudder servos in the tail. I will use the 6 V battery pack and smoke system to achieve balance. The 22X8 is a nice choice for break in. I like the bolly 22X10 for 3D. incredible pull out! The bolly 23X8 wood is a nice choice also after break in.

Some more just for teasing..

As you may notice on the pics below there is absolutely no wing/stab gaps.

Name:	Hf98293.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	233748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25507.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	233749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56839.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	233750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91356.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	233751  
Old 02-23-2005, 04:29 PM
serge1

More teasing...

Name:	Bz79033.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	233752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10802.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	233753  
Old 02-23-2005, 04:46 PM
blue ice

Serge, you know you could just send me your LX and I wouldn't have to wait for 1 any longer. You wouldn't miss 1 little plane in that nice looking hanger of yours. All kidding aside, thanks for all the info and pics. I sure am glad RCU reopened this part of the forum for people like me to get plenty of info from people all around the world. It sure is great having all this info just a few clicks away. Keep an eye on my thread serge, I know I will need more info in the future. I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has, and who will, post replies to my thread.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Tired Old Man

Blue Ice,

The spinner will need to be a 3-1/2" of whatever type you choose. The "Ultimate" designs look real good up on the front. Tom sells a Dave Brown spinner for the planes. I kinda like the Kangke "Revolution" line of spinners, available through Brison Engines. World Models makes some reasonably light and highly polished spinners that are generally inexpensive.

I also installed the rudder servo in the tail, but I'm using a Brison 3.2 for the pulling power.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Serge,

I love your garage. If you're looking to adopt a 40 year old son let me know.

I'll even fly with you to show my love.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

I have to get one of these WHs. My wife tells me to order the setup but the thought of $1800 in the air makes me VERY shakey.

Tax time is coming soon, so I have to make that leap of faith.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:52 AM
blue ice

Silversurfer, thanks for the size and the info on getting the ultimate spinner. I am prob going to order a Tru Turn.
Serge, what did you do for your choke? Did you hook it up to a servo somehow or ran a link outside of the cowl? You didn't show that side of your cowl to me in your pics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.