Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Large Glow Engines in 28%

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:16 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Large Glow Engines in 28%

Has anyone used a Moki 2.10, MDS 2.18, or ST3250 or 4500 in one of the Wild Hare Extras?

Would like to know how the much lighter glow engines work and how much weight you have ended up with.

Also, do you have enough power for IMAC and freestyle work?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Large Glow Engines in 28%

It's been done and documented here in this forum, but with some extravagant fuel costs. The Scandinavian importer of the W/H planes ran one of the Moki's and posted here, so a search will likely find it.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:00 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wouldent take long for the glow fuel cost to add up to a quality gas engine in a plane of this size.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:22 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to a guy a few days ago who had put a Moki 2.10 on an Edge and was quite happy with the results. I have no other real world feedback, sorry.

TF
Old 05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
kregan

A guy at our field flies a Moki 2.10 on his Edge. He let me fly it
for a minute befor I had ever flown mine. It seemed to fly fine,
although he said it would not hald a hover. I think it might have
been a prop issue. I know he sure did down the fuel fast!!!

Old 05-11-2005, 10:33 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my moki is almost broken in and it uses 1.5 oz per min.that is why i fly my 3w's so much
Old 05-12-2005, 08:40 AM
mikeboyd

Thanks Guys, I'll look for that thread. I can get glow fuel for around $10.00 a gallon. I can also make it much cheaper than that. The price difference between a Moki and a DA50 was about $300.00, so that would be about 30 gallons of glow fuel. So if we average about 5 flights per gallon we are only getting about 150 free flights out of the airplane. Since I have a pretty good running MDS already, I may just try it and let everyone know how it works. It should be about the same power as a Moki 2.10. I could always get another engine cowl and switch to gas later. We don't have many of these plane here in San Antonio yet, so if my project works well, we may be generating another good market for Wild Hare here. Most of us are flying 33% and larger planes, but all agree that they can be a hassle to transport.

We also have allot of new guys, that want to get bigger, but the high cost of the light 50's, scares them off. With lighter and quieter glow engines, it becomes viable opportunity to go bigger.

I think we all agree, that the more modelers we have buying products, keeps the market competitive and the prices down.

Again, thanks for everyone's inputs. I'll do some more research and post the results.