Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 01:52 PM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 260

Well, I recieved word last night from Patty (Man, you guys must really work late!) that my 260 should be shipped out today. Everything is falling into place quite nicely. After playing phone tag since Friday, I finally got to talk to Keith at BME today & there is a nice BME twin on its way to power this rascal with. I was going to look at cans for it but Keith said thet there are not currently headers available for his engines. Sooooo, I ordered standard mufflers. I am also working with Airgraphix to do up some real nice accents for the plane, I'll post some pictures when the time comes, it should really be nice. Friday I will be ordering Carbon fiber components for the plane, spinner, landing gear, tail wheel, wing tube, prop, the works. The servo's and batteries are already here, extensions & stuff like that. I may have to contact Tom for some of those trick connectors I saw on his web site to double up wing servos. I use Hitec and have the programmer so I won't need matchboxes or any of that stuff.

Have any of you used the Biela props? I think that prop would go well with the plane asthetically, but I don't want to sacrifice performance for looks.

I am optimistically shooting for a 22 lb plane but won't be hurt if it comes in around 23.5lbs. I ordered the Blue/Black & white one as I haven't seen any pictures of it other then on Tom's web site. Has anyone else built one of them? I liked the Patty Wagstaff version but I already have the Hanger 9 260 and that is close enough.

I'll be losing sleep until this stuff arrives!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Extra 260

At 23.5lbs it flies awesome. I know my last two weighed that Even with my "heavy" DA 100 it still floats when you chop the throttle.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:16 PM
cstevec

My Plane arrived last night to the forward air terminal & I picked it up today. The box had a few marks on it but nothing serious & as far as I can tell the plane came out unscathed. Good job of packing Tom, I think everything is OK. Right now I have the plane scattered all over the living room and there isn't room to assemble it for a picture but I am impressed. The Blue, Black & White color scheme is every bit as nice as I thought it would be and I didn't see any bubbles or sags to speak of. I ordered the accessory kit and the dash panel & I think that was a good decision, just about everything is stuff I would have ordered anyway. I will probably replace the wheels with 4" ones, and I didn't get a chance to look at the clevises yet but I may replace them as well because I usually use ball links, just a personal preference. The carbon fiber tube over 4-40 rod for pushrods is a good idea, I'm gonna go with that I'm sure. In the past I have used the stuff from Arts Hobbies but as Tom pointed out, a solid metal rod inside opposed to put together rods is less likely to fail. May weigh a couple of ounces more all total but I suppose the piece of mind is worth it.

One thing that amazes me is how thin the wings are on this plane. The root on my 30% Carden is significantly thicker then this plane & the wing panel of the Carden feels heavier then the bunny as well. I don't think 22lbs is out of reach with the BME at all based on what I have seen so far.

I am tempted to set everything else aside & start on this rascal but the BME isn't here yet & the decals aren't going to be here 'till next week either. I haven't ordered the carbon fiber stuff yet either, so I guess it just makes sense to wait. The real reason is time though. I am in the middle of a major rebuild of my Katana (new engine for more power & new covering scheme 'cause I just couldn't stand the workmanship on the wing skins any more. I started in on this two days before I ordered the bunny.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:31 AM
cstevec

My BME is on the UPS truck for delivery today & a Biela prop is on its way from Aircraft International. The Servos are here (I wound up ordering 6 more new ones) batteries, switches, Extensions, all that stuff. All I am waiting on now is the servo tray and servo arms from SWB & the spinner and wing tube. I think I am going to try and polish the landing gear that came with the plane & see if I can get a morror shine on it. The Extra 260 came with rounded landing gear & as near as I can tell, the gear TNT is selling for this plane is more like the Edge, straight with sharp angles. Not what I am looking for. If anyone has an idea of where I can get some correct looking CF gear for the 260 hows about letting me know.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:12 PM
airborneSGT

I think people have been using the Carden Edge 35% gear for Carbon. I also tried searching for carbon gear without much luck. The fiberglass are the best compromise giving you a lot of strength yet weigh less than the stock ones. They also look good in my opion. Be careful on which CF gear you do get. One rough landing equals a new set of CF landing gear.

The blue is a pretty color for sure!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:59 PM
goflyrc1

I found this out when I was looking at new gear for my 260 . The real 260 has straight gear not the bowed style. I was surprised to find that out.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:07 PM
cstevec

Funny, the one in the hanger at the airport has landing gear on it that look an awful lot like the ones that came with the kit. 'Course it is a 300S, not a 260. You might be right, but I like the rounded ones, & in my opinion they go better with the flowing lines of the plane.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:50 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are more or less correct. The full scale Extra 260 has straight legs on the gear, but it has some little covers that go over where the gear enters the fuse and these covers (don't know the proper name for them) give it the appearance of having a curve in the upper leg.

Without the covers the plane is hideous. We made a semi straight leg which is curved at the top and less so at the bottom to try to match the full scale appearance.

It's a compromise.

TF
Old 09-06-2005, 07:03 PM
goflyrc1

I have a pic of the real plane but I can't figure out how to post it.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM
airborneSGT

Click up post reply, then upload files
Old 09-06-2005, 08:28 PM
goflyrc1

Here it is.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83613.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	320684  
Old 09-06-2005, 08:42 PM
cstevec

This is what I consider to be the best looking gear. I know it is a 300s, but it is what I like. Consequently, its what I would prefer on my plane.

Name:	Da83468.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	320686  
Old 09-06-2005, 09:00 PM
cstevec

Here is a better view.