Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

WH Giles Wingtube

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:00 AM
sschwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WH Giles Wingtube

Tom,

I have a Giles with about 15 flights on it. It seems that either the wing tube is shrinking or the phenolic is getting bigger beccause the tube is no longer snug in the phenolic and it is shifting during flight. I marked the tube to be sure it is centered when I install the wing. After flying I carefully slide one wing off enough to inspect the tube while being sure not to pull on the tube. The tube is clearly shifting to one side or another as much as 1/4 or more of its length after only a few flights. I'm assuming that the aluminum is wearing down because I'm getting a lot of black residue on my hands every time I handle it. Any suggestions?

Your help is most appreciated.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:21 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WH Giles Wingtube

A hose clamp around the tube in the fuse will hold it in place. So will a small sheet metal screw through the wing bottom into the end of the aluminum tube. Never drill into the wing tube near the middle, but you can drill maybe 1" from either end without affecting strength.

Another idea that came from a customer, make a small block of wood, maybe 3/4" square with one face rounded (concave) so that it fits snugly against a motorbox side and on the wing tube sleeve in the fuse.

Glue it in place against the sleeve. When the glue is dry, drill a 3/16" hole through the block into the paper sleeve (but not into the aluminum tube.). Thread this hole for 1/4-20 threads.

Now when you put the wing tube into the plane you can screw a 1/4-20 nylon screw into the block and tighten against the wing tube to hold it in place.

TF
Old 09-06-2005, 01:00 PM
sschwell

Thanks Tom and thanks again for those Dubro control horns for my rudder.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Munchee
My Feedback: (36)

My WH Giles has had the wingtube shrinkwrapped with the shrinkwrap you would use on your battery packs.

It seems to be working fine so far.