Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

BME 50 Wildhare Ultimate Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

BME 50 Wildhare Ultimate Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:13 AM
tomriddle
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME 50 Wildhare Ultimate Build Thread

RCTom,

Will the aileron control horn mounting technique used in the CAP manual work for the Ultimate as well (or do you recommend leaving the head of the bolt on the upper side of the aileron)?

v/r

tom
Old 05-16-2006, 04:43 PM
RCMDLR-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Tom,

Not to worry, believe me I know all about hectic... Thanks for the suggestion, my hope was to hear from others who have basically the same set-up, and what they are/have used or use.

For instance, I tried 5 different kinds of props of the same length for my U-Can-Do .40 before I found the right one for me. Just fishin a bit for any available info.

Good luck with your new position...

Greg
Old 05-16-2006, 06:53 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

re: aileron horns

No, you can't use the same technique with the Ultimate ailerons that you use with a Cap. The Cap has dowel type hard points, the Ulti uses ply inserts. You will need to have the heads on top.

TF
Old 05-16-2006, 06:57 PM
tomriddle

RCTom,

Perfect! Thank you.

v/r

tom
Old 05-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom Riddle,

I don't know what you were referring to when you had previously noted being "turned down". However, if you were referring to what I do for a living, look at the Insitugroup.com website. They may have what you are looking for.

I would have sent this as a pm but the system I am using at the moment will not permit any type of private conversations.

Regarding the BME 50 or 55 prop selections, start out with a Menz 22-8 ultra prop and work out from there. I'd avoid any 10" pitch props unless a step up in diameter also took place.

Go fly and enjoy that thing! I'm really jealous of all you guys that can get out and play right now.

Pat
Old 05-18-2006, 01:29 AM
bluemagic98

ORIGINAL: RCMDLR-RCU

Perhaps you guys might offer some suggestions,

I am currently running a 3W 22-8 wood. It seems to me to be loading it down a bit too much. I must admit I have not taken any RPM figures yet and of course the engine is not broken in. But my "ear" tells me its not quite right. At $25.00 a "try" it gets expensive....
Real world suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Greg

Ive ran the DA-50 on a menz 22-8 and a NX- 23-8 and a friend of mine usses a NX- 24-8 the NX loads the engine more but out pulls the menz Ive been very happy with the NX 23-8 turns roughly 6700 rpm's
Old 05-26-2006, 08:37 PM
tomriddle

Alrighty, then; welcome back to the thread that is in first place for the longest ever to complete a Wildhare ship; Author's disclaimer: my slothfulness should not be construed in any way against Wildhare or its affiliates -- any inability to stay on task is purely my own!

On the bright side, over the last week I had a great time seeing Mom and 3 brothers again in California...first time we have all been together since my Dad passed away in 2002.

Anyway, back to building...I've been wondering how to get the aileron drilled reliably, so that the hole for the control horn is perpendicular to the wing. Then it hit me - use the incidendence meter to provide a guide! The way the Robart sets up, it will identify the line through the center of the wing - all I have to do is to stay relatively parallel to the edge of the incidence meter body!

Oh yah, use a clamp to hold the aileron in line with the rest of the wing.

I elected to drill by hand using the extension that I had on hand (that I also used to drill the wing strut tabs). The extension acted like a big pin drill - no problem at all.

I also used a speed square the first time...I did not use it on subsequent efforts as the incidence meter was good enough as a reference in both axes.

After drilling the holes for the Robart heavy duty control horns, I strengthened the holes with CA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29075.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	467033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80819.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	467034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69905.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	467035  
Old 05-26-2006, 08:43 PM
tomriddle

I looked at the hardware that I purchased with the kit, but it seemed to place the control stud too close to the hinge line for my liking. I elected to use Robart heavy duty control arms since they permitted me to adjust the hinge point by drilling and trimming the hinge arm. There was a minor gap left on the bottom of the aluminum nut once it was snugged down, but with a dab of locktite, that should not be a problem.

Name:	Ay75479.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	467036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92780.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	467037   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27184.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	467038  
Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 PM
tomriddle

The kit comes with a nice set of fiberglass hollow rod and 4-40 threaded rod for the control horns - works great for a sturdy linkage that is easy to adjust.

I guess my skills focusing the camera leave something to be desired...

Name:	Fd92078.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	467045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68238.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	467046  
Old 05-26-2006, 08:59 PM
tomriddle

Pat,

Thanks for the link - please safe and sane and thanks for all that you are doing flying the 'serious' RCAVs.

v/r

tom
Old 05-27-2006, 10:38 AM
tomriddle

Elevator and rudder next. Pretty straight-forward; kudos again for the hardware kit that Tom sells - everything is right there.

Name:	Av69269.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	467225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95256.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	467226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25378.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	467227  
Old 05-27-2006, 10:56 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

I thought the gold AirWild arms were for Multiplex servos?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:27 AM
tomriddle

Ben,

Sharp spotting. Yah...lesson learned...on the Airwild site there is a dialog regarding HiTec servos that don't have a 'cross' on the servo output shaft; for those, Airwild recommends the gold arms. My HiTecs didn't have the cross but the gold arms are definitely not the right choice - the splines are too wide. I tried one of the red arms that I had on hand - perfect fit. New (red) arms are on order. I'm smarter (again).

tom
Old 05-30-2006, 04:38 PM
RCMDLR-RCU

FYI

The carb modification to the BME did not work as expected. Preliminary running seemed good, but after a few laps around,the engine quit on a throttle up from a low pass. Subsiquent tries accomplished the same result. End result was that the tube connecting the pump side to the intake airflow did not have the same effect as on my G-62. After removing the joining tube, the engine ran better, but kept quitting from fuel starvation (no fuel in the line). I can only assume that the upset in air balance must have bent the little tiller arm that controls the main flow needle. It was not opening at all or very little because the engine would only run on the choke, then quit.
At that point I brought it home and took the carb off, removed the adjustable needles, flow control needle ect...I do not have a solid definition or position as to where the flow needle should be, except that my experience has provided me with a working feel for it. I do believe there is a measurement, perhaps someone else can enlighten us all??

End of story, the intake manifold tube is still on, I installed a baffle in front of it to divert direct turbulance. The pump side has a nipple soldered to it with a very short lenght of fuel line formed in a "U" to prevent disturbance there. Everything is back together and it again runs extremely well on the ground, it will be next weekend before I can try it again.

GH
Old 06-04-2006, 07:50 PM
tomriddle

And...? Did it work??

Airwild order should be here any day now...onward and upward!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:59 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: tomriddle

Ben,

Sharp spotting. Yah...lesson learned...on the Airwild site there is a dialog regarding HiTec servos that don't have a 'cross' on the servo output shaft; for those, Airwild recommends the gold arms. My HiTecs didn't have the cross but the gold arms are definitely not the right choice - the splines are too wide. I tried one of the red arms that I had on hand - perfect fit. New (red) arms are on order. I'm smarter (again).

tom
I tried one of the red arms on one an old 5945 that I have, but it wouldn't work. Futaba arms slips right on with a little force though.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:48 AM
RCMDLR-RCU

[&:] The main field I fly at is part of flood control operated by the Army Corp of Engineers. As of two weeks ago the runway was under 15-20 feet of water, the other club I belong to is in good shape, but it has again rained all weekend and I am on the road this week...

Maybe next weekend[][][]
Old 06-05-2006, 10:13 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tomriddle,

As you stated in the other post – you were right I was earlier don then you. but I had the advantage to know where everything goes.

Well the maiden flight was done Saturday around 11am. She went up and I had one click up elevator and two clicks left aileron to get the plane straight.

This airframe fly way (WAY!) better the other one. The total was three flights – first was 10 minutes followed by a nice landing. Half of fuel tank used (24oz). The second flight was a little longer and I checked all connections and wiring.

Now the third flight was unfortunately not as good as the two before. Around 5 minutes into the flight I lost the spinner cone in a straight level, half throttle pass. I saw something coming off so I made a closer pass to see what happened. I spotted the missing cone and turned around to get this plane down. In the turn to the crosswind leg the motor quit; - I got her in a dive to maintain speed and control. My decision was to set her down next to the paved runway in the grass.

Make a long story short – a bended landing gear and broken prop. After inspection of the plane= the bold of the spinner cone lost the head and while get ripped of the connecting rod bended sideways and unbalanced the engine. As soon I throttled back to idle in the turn the engine stopped.

Without any engine input the Ultimate loses altitude very fast. I’m very glad I did not lost my cool and panicked – these parts are easy to replace and most important nobody got hurt.

To make this experience right in the third flight is pretty early. But now I know how she handles with the engine out.

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 07-02-2006, 10:58 PM
tomriddle

Okay, just when you all thought it was safe, I get the 4th of July weekend off!! Time to play...red airwild arms fit perfectly on the HiTechs, so they are on. Sealed the hinges. Pinned the firewall. Installed the fuel tank. Re-mounted the engine and started working the connections to the carb. Mounted the ignition module and the switch. Used some Ernst charge jacks for the connection point for the upper aileron servo leads where they come into the fuse. Mounted the choke and throttle servos. Good day!

Name:	Vt57542.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	486097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19285.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	486098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18723.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	486099  
Old 07-02-2006, 11:01 PM
tomriddle

And for the required bit of whimsy, I finally convinced my 'Quality Control' supervisor that it was time to get into the cockpit....

Name:	Xv65429.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	486100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83959.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	486101  
Old 07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: tomriddle

And for the required bit of whimsy, I finally convinced my 'Quality Control' supervisor that it was time to get into the cockpit....

COOL
Old 07-04-2006, 04:41 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Hurry up so we can see that Ultimate flying. Got a few photos today. Shot two videos of mainly low harriers and hovers with some rolling harriers also. I mixed out the knife edge tendancies and also tunned the DA 50 nicely. By the end of the day I was dragging the rudder on the ground in harriers.

Name:	Jg14281.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	487068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23037.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	487069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28770.jpg
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	487070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72658.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	487071  
Old 07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
bluemagic98

Awsome job
Old 07-07-2006, 09:39 PM
tomriddle

Grrrrr! The Army seems to think that now they have promoted me that I should work longer AND harder! I know, I know - pitiful excuses...thanks for the photos - very inspirational (I'm jealous). Our new field is opening tomorrow (the old one now has a really ugly set of power lines right across the southern end of the field...serious lack of motivation to fly there) but I agreed to take my high school buddy ( http://www.ferraripaint.com/ ) who is in DC visiting with his wife and son on a tour of Gettysburg tomorrow.....is that dedication or what?? Seriously though he is a great guy and he used to fly R/C aircraft...he wants to switch to R/C boats....I'm trying to wean him back to the light.

[pleading for some minor understanding]

v/r

tom
Old 07-07-2006, 11:02 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Excuses!! Just kidding. For some reason I think I had more time to fly when I was in the Army then now. I messed with the video I shot but only captured small parts. For some reason it seems jumpy on the laptop so I will capture it on a faster desktop machine with firewire to get rid of bandwith issues. Other than that its bout 15 mins worth of harriers an hovers and such. Do at least one tail touch from a wall / elevator. Rained today and forecast for a rainy weekend so no flying. On a positive note it gives me plenty of time for editing and such.

You will enjoy this plane a lot. It really makes 3D easy. Mixing was really minimal.

Just tell your friend to get a float plane and he can have both!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.