Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

New Wild Hare G-202 35%

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:30 PM
texomalaser
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wild Hare G-202 35%

I just got a new Wild Hare G-202 this last weekend. I will be posting all the info and pics I can as I go along on this plane. So far its been one hell of a nice plane. Since we only live about 1 1.2 hrs away from Tom we picked up the plane in Flower Mound. Tom and his wife are great folks. Later that week my friend got him a 28% Edge also and we got to pick it up also,. We took the oppertunity to drill Tom on every questin we could think of and him and his wife were very helpful. If you see this post Tom Thanks. Ok. Back to the plane.

I am mounting a ZDZ-80 on her and that was the toughest part so far. Had to really cut a bit out of the fireall to get the carb to fit. But lining up the motor to the cowling was not an issuse if you take the carb. off. Very fast and precise of you do like the manual says to do. But its when you put the carb back on is when I started gritting teeth. But with a little dremeling it can be done. I elected to strenghten the firewall after I was done just because I know how this ZDZ is. Its a monster in power and it likes to vibrate a little more than most engines. So I strenghtend it just to make me feel better.

One thing that is really great is all the room inside the fuselage. The hatch is a monster and allows all kinds of access and is very light. I can put 2 24oz tanks side by side easily to run smoke. Im not going to do that yet until I get the pump but the potential is there.

Im gong to end this post until I get the pics up so I hope yall can use this and hope to get some tips and advise myself. See yu.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:01 AM
texomalaser

Default RE: New Wild Hare G-202 35%

Heres some pics of the engine mounting.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27089.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	448161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52785.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	448162  
Old 04-20-2006, 06:13 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Only thing I might see is a servo sticking up right behind the firewall. You could get a bad problem that close to the motor and electronic ignition. I always try to space my throttle and choke servos at least 10 inches away from the electronic ignition.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:41 PM
texomalaser

Thats true. On my Laser I had the choke servo on the same side as the ignition was which was seperated by 1/4 inch of plywood. It didnt like that at all. So I moved it to the other side of the box and it cured the problem. That gave it about 5 inches of distance. On the Giles there is about the same amount of distance from the ignition to any servos. So I am hoping that there will not be any interferance. If so..Plan B?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:30 PM
AirTom

See my engine mount:

The header had to be elongated, because we have to reduce the maximum power to a lower rpm-level (noise reduction on our airfield here in Germany). Now it is around 6200 rpm with a 26x10 Menz with unlimited vertical, still breakin' in. After breaking in we will mount a 27x12 Engel-Super -Silence as you can see in the next post (last photo). This combination is the best in peformance/silence/gas-consumption.
Besides, we use Bell Ray motor oil (tony-clark.com), reduces crud, increases power of the engine. We really noticed this!
To use D-Locks is very helpful, because the straining on the fuselage is reduced.

Name:	Jh15006.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	456947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87031.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	456948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16504.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	456949  
Old 05-06-2006, 04:38 PM
AirTom

See also the mounting of the equipment.

Let me know, if you want to see more photos of details. I will shoot them for you for support. Mine is flying very well, and want to help, even that I'm in Germany!

Name:	Db85554.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	456966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86136.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	456967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92924.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	456968  
Old 05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
texomalaser

Wow. Nice setup...One question... How did the motor work out on the cowling witht he engine turned that way? Did you have to cut out for it? I like the carbon stand-off plate too. Another question.. How much does the trumpet on the carb. help?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:16 PM
texomalaser

I put the first flight on my Gilles 5-4-06. All I can say is this is a wonderful plane. Very light wing loading and responsive. The ZDZ 80 is plenty of power. Snap rolls are very crip and stop immediatley. I do need a bigger fuel tank I think. I am using 24oz's and it sucks it up pretty fast. About 12 minutes and you better land. Knife edges are awesome. Very little coupling. The rudder is very effective and I dont have 3d throws in it yet because I need a bigger arm for the pull-pull. But up and down lines are effortless with just a little bit of rudder input...Ill post some more pics later of the insides......

Name:	Ig13841.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	457154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30946.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	457155  
Old 05-07-2006, 07:10 AM
AirTom

Thanks for your interrest.
The trumpet is removed at the moment, because I spoke to our ZDZ-dealer Mr. Amelung and he told me to do so. I asked him, how to leanen the motor in the midrange. It barbles all the time an needs plenty of gas. To remove the trumpet was the first item and the second was to bend the little fork under the carburator plate. I followed all the recommendations and at the moment I fly without the trumpet. The fuel consumption is still on a higher level than I expected, but im looking forward to adjust the little fork another time. When this works, I will reassemble the trumpet. The motor responses better and the fuel consumption will decrease.

For the cowl I have some fotos including the baffles:

Name:	Db86278.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	457323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52500.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	457324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64897.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	457325  
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 AM
thibor

Hey,

Since I heard nothing but good about the Giles, I'd Like to buy one. Just one problem.
I live in Belgium and at the moment I know of only one European distributer (Probuild) that sells this plane.
The price without shipping is $975 instead of the suggested $599, this is just a little to much for me...
Does anybody know where I can buy this plane around the suggested price??? I would like the Yellow/purple one.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:14 AM
ljones5000

Here are a couple pics of mine, I've had it for a few months. The plane is great but I'm still dealing with carb problem with the engine.

Larry

Name:	Ge96640.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	459224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78409.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	459225  
Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 PM
AirTom

Hi thibor,

You are right, the plane is great!

There is one dealer in Germany (www.engelmt.de). These models are called "perfect models". I puchased a Giles 202 from him and got a wild hare. I think it had been sent to the wrong dealer. Normally his models don't have the bunnies. They have a logo of engels modellbau perfect models. But the models are the same as wildharerc's.

The price is 649.- Euro plus 149.- Euro for the assessoires profi set, including the carbon spinner.

Thomas / Germany

Name:	Jg14084.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	459331  
Old 05-10-2006, 02:04 PM
AirTom

Hi texomalaser,

To install the motor this way (so I heard) should reduce shaking the rudder surfaces. Installing it horizontal will shake the rudder, vertical will shake the elevator and airlions. So, in this position, that I have it installed, the force on all rudder surfaces is reduced, because the piston won't work in the direction of movement.
Even the header fits perfect under the cowling. The additional hole in the cowl was for the old, short header, that leads direct into the canister. But the length was too short, to get power in the lower 6000 rpms. Now the ZDZ 80 turns the 27x12 engel-super-silence with 6150! What power, unlimited vertical without any noise.

Name:	Wu59490.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	459343  
Old 05-11-2006, 01:36 AM
thibor

Hi Airtom,

Thank you verry much!!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:33 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Larry,

Is that a FPE I spy on that Giles? How is the field up there doing? I really do miss the Piedmont Aeromodelers field. I really think its the best in that area. I never did manage to find the field in Kernersville but its supposed to be a pfc so. I go back to FL and the field here is all about little planes and nothing over 35% is allowed there. Complete opposite from the Piedmont field.

Nice looking Giles!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:10 AM
ljones5000

Hello, Sarge...yeah, it's a FPE 4.2 and plenty of power for the Giles, especially the way I fly. I don't do 3D but I guess the engine would be up for it. The FPE only has maybe a couple gallons through it and there have been some issues that prevented my flying it much. The ignition has been back to CH twice (about a 3 week turnaround from NC) and I have had problems with turbulence around the carb causing it to go rich in the air. However, good news! I finally soldered a brass tube on the backplate of the carb and ran a flexible tube I bought at AutoZone into the fuse. If you are familiar with this WildHare Giles, it has 3 openings in the engine box that is forward of the first bulkhead/former. Air can go inside the plane when you fly; I have never seen a plane constructed this way. Anyway, I took lite ply and made covers for all the holes and closed inside the fuse to outside air.

I got the ignition back last week and yesterday was the first opportunity I have had to fly the plane. It ran strong and flew great, in spite of a very hefty wind yesterday. But I had to fly her because I'm leaving tomorrow for Disneyworld with the grandkids; otherwise, it would be ten more days before I could fly her. I'm tickled to death the way it ran/flew because I've been tempted a time or two to throw the dang thing in the Cape Fear River. By the way, I also have a FPE 3.2 on a Sig Sundancer and it runs just great, never misses a beat and is very powerful.

Appreciate the kind words about our field and it's in good shape now. We just started having it mowed weekly last week, we've been creeping up on it gradually. I'll be honest with you, I have been around to a number of fields over the years and it's hard to find one better than ours in terms of wide open space without obstructions. I don't know where there is a field at Kernersville but know where it is...halfway between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. The flying field shouldn't be hard to find. Anyway, just come on back up here and fly with us!

Good to hear from you!

Larry
Old 05-18-2006, 09:24 PM
texomalaser

Well i took the GIles to Little ROck Arkansas IMAC and got 6th place in Sportsman. This plane flys like its on rails....I luv It!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Bobby Folsom

I remember that plane and piliot!! It looked like it flew well. As to my ranking in sportsman, alas, I came in last - again.

Bobby
Old 06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
marshallcowboy
My Feedback: (14)

Scott,
Sorry for your loss. The giles was a sweet plane. Figured out a replacement yet?
Jarrod
Old 06-07-2006, 04:51 PM
texomalaser

Thanks Jarrod... It sucked....Im 99% sure what happened to it...The anttenae vibrating itself out of the reciever. I will no longer be running JUST one receiver for now on...[]
My replacement plane will be in my living room next week. I cant wait... Im getting the proto-type MX2 from Wild Hare. The ZDZ80 should power it well. I think the pictures of it are in this section of the forum. Ill write a new post on it as soon as i get it going....[8D]
Old 06-07-2006, 04:56 PM
texomalaser

Yep..I remember you Bobby. I called for you and kept messing up sometimes. Hows the new Extra 260 going? Sure looked nice on its maiden flight....
Old 06-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Redneck Shaun
My Feedback: (1)

Scott, you make dang sure you call me for the maiden of the MX2. I've been keeping a eye on that one.
Shaun