Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

28% Edge 540T *RIP*

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Cappy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28% Edge 540T *RIP*

Well....I hate to say it, but after 2 full seasons and nearly 400 flights, my Edge finally met it's maker on Friday, June 7th around 3pm. She was a great bird. With all that time on it, she only had a few minor bruises and some REALLY close calls close to the ground......several of which SHOULD have been her demise pulling some lucky saves out of my *****. Ironically, one of which was the same day, but earlier. She went in immediately following a pretty violent waterfall.....all of a sudden I had nothing in the way of control. It appears that during this, my battery tray which I had made and that was screwed in place behind the hatch in the turtle deck ripped free which was actually checked during my pre-flight. The battery was connected with Deans ultra plugs and zip tied together, but from the force I guess it actually broke the zip tie. It took about 2 hours to actually find the plane because at the end of our runway is a marsh area and corn fields. It actually went in in the marsh...of course. I had to wade about waist high to a tall section of reeds to retrieve it. Luckily the only part that was in the water and mud was the motor. The tall reeds helped me there. All electronics survived but will be thoroughly checked or replaced. The motor and carb was promptly disassembled, cleaned and saturated with ATF (trans fluid) to prevent corrosion. Other than that the motor is fine. It is definitely no fun for those few helpless seconds when all you can do is watch it go in. But I have no hard feelings toward her as she served me well. Now the only question I have left is which Hare is next......how 'bout a Cap? Sounds good to me.

Cap

Old 07-15-2006, 07:12 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 28% Edge 540T *RIP*

If you had 400 flights on it then it was time for a new adventure anyway.

The Cap is nice, different from the edge. What engine did you have?

TF
Old 07-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Cappy69

No doubt Tom. The first 6 months I had it I was unemployed. I flew it about 4-5 days a weeks depending on the weather....needless to say, that didn't go over too well with the misses. Honestly, the last couple of weeks I was thinking about retiring it anyway and keeping it as a spare airframe and going bigger. But right now...since my wife is resigning from her job, money will be a bit tight so I am going to stay in the 50cc class and put something bigger together over the winter. The motor that was in it was a Brison 3.2....and a very strong one at that. Even with the amount of fuel through it, it's still is like new. No leaks.....bearings good.etc. I tore it down once prior to putting the Edge in and was amazed at how clean it looked on the inside. VERY minimal carbon buildup. Been using Mobil1 MX2T (now Synthetic 2T) 80:1 from the first drop of fuel in it. I have been eyeing the cap for a while, but am looking for something a bit more capable 3D and all around. I know the Edge was a capable airframe....god knows I put it through it's paces. The posts on the cap seem to tell me this, but what is your honest opinion (I know....this is a loaded question )

Cap
Old 07-15-2006, 10:16 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no better 3d plane than a Cap. It does everything well. People say the Ultimate is our best 3d plane, but I think the Cap is at or near the top for 3d and it makes a good IMAC plane as well.

TF
Old 07-15-2006, 02:20 PM
AeroDave

Cap,
you owe it to yourself to get the CAP. The videos poeple have posted of it are really cool and well done, But I must say nobody has gotten its 3D side on video yet. I'd like to but don't have the video capability. Anyway, all I can tell you is what I've found in mine. Take it for what its worth, just a report. Best HAKE ive every seen. NO wing rock in harrier. Easy rolling harrier, and my CG isn't even on the money yet. TR's are good, but I'm not happy with my stock G62 on this plane. So with the excess weight I'm not getting the hover pullout I'd like. So even though I can keep it in a TR forever (really, I can) Its always about 50 feet up instead of on the deck. I've harriered it both upright and inverted quite low. With a lighter motor like your Brison this thing would be a dream. I tried to get a friend to take some still shots of mine in a low wall a couple of weeks ago. But he was standing too close to the plane. So I'd come by, nice and low and pull into a wall with the airplane stopping in a hover about 10 ft off the deck. The guy would take the pic, but he was standing right next to it so it looked like photos of a Cap's butt at close range. Oh well.....