Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

88" Edge maiden

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 88" Edge maiden

Tom,

Finally got the Edge up in the air this past Saturday at our clubs Giant Scale fly in. Since I've been flying the GP Ultimate as my "big" plane, this one took me a little by surprise. The agility and control authority was more than I expected. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] That DLE just purrs along and pulls like a horse. Most of the flight I had to keep telling myself to back the throttle down. I kept wanting to push the stick like I usually do with the bipe. The HD 9150 servos did a good job for me too. All in all, I'm about as happy as can be right now!

Thanks,
Paul
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 88

great! nice looking bird with the right colors[8D]
Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Just gotta chime in here...

Paul, you did a fantastic job on the installation and setup of that airplane!  A picture of craftsmanship! 

Having gotten my hands on the sticks for just a few moments, I can absolutely say that the airplane rises to WH's normal standards.  Flies great, light as a feather, and should bring Paul many years of enjoyment.  Made me want one of my own to replace my old V1.  *lol*

Old 08-09-2010, 10:19 AM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: gboulton

Just gotta chime in here...Paul, you did a fantastic job on the installation and setup of that airplane! A picture of craftsmanship!
Thanks Gordon. Had a couple fine teachers. [sm=49_49.gif]
Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 AM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

great! nice looking bird with the right colors[8D]
Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't sure about the color scheme at first but it got better each time I looked at it. It's kind of grown on me now and it's pretty easy to see in the air so it's all good.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM
pdm52956

Well, took the new Edge out today again. First flight went good. Did some more trimming and just flew it around. The plane almost lands by itself.

Second flight of the day, I lost a servo on the right elevator. It must have partially defelcted up because the plane just wanted to keep a steady nose up attitude. Managed to get it leveled off and headed for the approached end of the runway to land and see what was going on. As I was lining up, it started to dive so I pulled up elevator to bring it back level and all I can remember telling my spotter was "that's full up" and it just wouldn't fully pull out.

It did manage to level off just about the time it went into the "rough" off the end of the runway and that was a good thing. The plane pancaked in to some grass/weeds that must be about 8 foot tall. No damage, not even a hole in the covering. Everything was intact. We horsed it back to the pits and checked everything out. All the surfaces moved with the exception of the right elevator. Nothing. With the plane and radio on, the elevator felt really stiff but would move both directions with some pushing. Turned the plane off and it was no different. Obviously the servo is toast.

I won't be flying the plane again until I change out all the servos. First time I've used the Power HD 9150 and I won't be going back to them. I can't trust them.

I'll say one thing about the plane though, it's an awesome flying plane and I would recommend it to anyone. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] Just not the HD servos.

Paul
Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 PM
krayzc-RCU

wow what servos are u going with next?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 AM
pdm52956

wow what servos are u going with next?
Well, right now I figure I'll use the Hitec 7955. Have more research to do yet. Before I decided to go with the HD9150 I had thought about the Spektrum A6030. Might have another look at them but since I would kind of be in the same boat not knowing anyone that's had experience with the Spektrums, I lean towards the Hitec.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:10 AM
gboulton

Y'all....I'm the other part of the "we" that "horsed it back to the pits" and I gotta tell ya...

Damnedest thing I ever saw.

That airplane must have eyes...because it found THE safest possible spot to come down...might as well have been a big pile of cotton.  Paul did a whale of a job staying with the airplane, and giving it the best possible chance to survive, and it paid off. 

As for the servos, Paul, you know my recommendation.  I've had HiTecs on every gas powered airplane I've ever owned, save for the Aeromaster, and many of the glow/electrics too.  Never, not once, had a problem with any of them.  Not only is the Yak almost all HiTec, but all but one of them came off the Edge..so you KNOW how much abuse they've seen.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:15 AM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: gboulton

As for the servos, Paul, you know my recommendation. I've had HiTecs on every gas powered airplane I've ever owned, save for the Aeromaster, and many of the glow/electrics too. Never, not once, had a problem with any of them. Not only is the Yak almost all HiTec, but all but one of them came off the Edge..so you KNOW how much abuse they've seen.
Yeah, more I think about it this morning, the more convinced I am that skimping just don't get it here. Figure I'll go with the 7955 and quit messing with it.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:13 AM
gboulton

I approve of the attitude...servos are not a place to skimp, to be sure.

However, I must admit...I DO think the 7955's are overkill on a 50cc plane.  Not that they won't work, but remember...they're enough to 3D 100cc birds...that's what I'm running in my Yak.

IMO, 5645's will do the job VERY nicely, at about half the price.  I've run them in several 50cc birds with great results.  Metal gears, 160 ozin of torque, well above the 120 WH calls for everywhere but the rudder.  Go with a 7955TG on the rudder, and you're home.

Just something to think about.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
krayzc-RCU

the good thing about those overkill servos they are very easy to sell or move up to a larger bird......
Old 08-12-2010, 10:35 AM
gboulton

the good thing about those overkill servos they are very easy to sell or move up to a larger bird......
True, true. Always a market or need for a good set of high torque TG servos.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:19 PM
pdm52956

Well, the plane has new servos. I've got a 7955 on the rudder. I was going to go with 5645s on both the elevators and the ailerons, but somehow my order got messed up and I didn't get everything I ordered so, I'll use the 5645 on the two elevators and some new 5625MG servos on the ailerons.

The 5625MG is rated for 130 torque @ 6 volts, but since I pretty much fly more of a sport style than a 3D (my brain and thumbs aren't nearly that coordinated), they should do what I need.

We'll see how it goes. If the weather cooperates, should be back up tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:12 PM
pdm52956

The weather was good, a little on the hot side again and perhaps 5 - 10 wind, but none the less a good flying day to take her back in the air.

The flight went good with the new servos. Plenty of responce, I had no doubt other than perhaps the ailerons, but they were plenty responsive for me. It had a little right roll to take out. I had our club president help me trim it and when I told him it rolled right and needed some left, he gave me a couple clicks. It didn't help much so I told him to put some more into it. All of a sudden it was banking right like nobody's business. Turns out he was giving me more RIGHT!

Seems to be a LOT more tail heavy then it was too. The first landing I had to abort because the nose didn't want to come down. It got a little hairy, but we did a go around. Gave it some nose down and the next approach was more managable. I'll have to see what I can do to lighten up the tail. There isn't anything back there but the two servos, and there isn't a lot to move up front. I'm thinking that although I would rather not, I'll have to add some weight up in the nose. Haven't figured out what it's going to take as of yet.

So anyway, it came home in one piece again today and that's the formula for a good day at the field! I love it.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

can you please post some pics of the bottom part of the cowl, where the cut outs are for the engine? and more pics with the plane it self. I might be buying one of there from friend that still has it NIB.
I would really appreciate it ,

thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: Kenrico

can you please post some pics of the bottom part of the cowl, where the cut outs are for the engine? and more pics with the plane it self. I might be buying one of there from friend that still has it NIB.
I would really appreciate it ,

thanks!

Sorry, better late than never I suppose. I'll try to get some more pictures of the plane together when I'm at the field next.

By the way, if you haven't already gotten the plane, I would if the price it right. Mine is finally set up pretty much for me and I know it can go a ton further. I love the plane, just need to get used to the responsiveness it has. Point and shoot!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ki18833.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	787.0 KB
ID:	1496269   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca80350.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	817.4 KB
ID:	1496270   Click image for larger version

Name:	db84987.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1496271  
Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Kenrico

Thanks! Paul,
I got the plane and got her build in 3 evenings, did the maiden yesterday plus 3 more flights. on the maiden I made 2 rounds for trimming and I could feel how good she flew, after the trimming I started doing some basic stuff like 4 point rolls, knife edge, inverter etc. let me say this planes flies alot better and more precise than the WildHare Sukhoi I had. well let me say since in the Hobby this is the first plane ever that I did anything other than trimming and straight and level flight on the Maiden, but I felt so confident with this planes that i couldn't resist it. I'll get some pics up later of the install.

Thanks!

Kenric P.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 PM
pdm52956

Very cool Kenric. It is really much more capable of a plane than I expected not having flown or owned a 50cc myself before. I think what surprised me more than anything was the elevator authority. Just a little pull on the elevator and it rockets. Ask me how I know.

I'll give the plane another thing.........it's actually built pretty strong for as light as it is. Yesterday a handed my radio to my friend while we were flying and the choke switch accidently got hit. Of course the engine died before we know it and we deadsticked in towards the runway. Not quite enough altitude or airspeed to quite make the runway so it ended up coming down in a little ditch just on the other side of the runway. Once again I thought the plane was probably hurt but when we got to it, turns out the prop was broken and the gear was pushed apart some but other than that, not a scratch!

Took the gear to work and straightened it out, put a new prop on the nose and she's ready to go. Reminds me, I'm going to order another prop and gear from Tom. I do like the bunny prop and just in case, the gear can hang in the trailer.

Anyway, enjoy it and happy flying!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 PM
skyesdad

that is why I have had 5 or 6 wild hare planes they are solid predictable and a lot of fun and they fly well
Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Kenrico

damn, sorry to hear that Paul, glad nothing else happen. good luck on the following flight.
BTW, do you guys know of anyone that make a graphics kit for the edge?
Thanks!

Kenric P.