Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

Canister and NEW Wild Hare 84" Extra Build and Flying Review!

Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Canister and NEW Wild Hare 84" Extra Build and Flying Review!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 05:57 AM
aeroboy1293

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Canister and NEW Wild Hare 84" Extra Build and Flying Review!

Flyintiger.

I have taken on board the vacuum tube idea around where the wires pass through the bulkhead. I have also wrapped them with 'spiwrap' to protect even further. The last thing I need is an ignition problem with chaffed wires.

I have used silver foil inside the canister tunnel that was stuck on when I fuel proofed with thinned down z-poxy wing skinning resin. I used it because it is light weight and a good insulator!! Oh and I don't use the bottom cowl fixing bolts as I have not cut the cowl ring.

Happy landings all.

Aeroboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 11:54 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aeroboy:

I want to advise you not to overthink this thing.

I build the ARF planes as they come out of the box with no modifications at all. I have never had any serious problems, if I did I would note it in the manual or change the plane.. You are solving problems that you do not have. Just go fly the thing.

TF
Old 01-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Greg Cothern
My Feedback: (8)

I agree with Tom, I built mine pretty much stock, did not deviate much from the WH suggestions and it has been awesome, and performing well. Here is a link to my build. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4474909/tm.htm
Old 01-19-2007, 02:15 AM
WhirlyGirl
My Feedback: (34)

The video is up!

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....25385f53d7e567

Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
aeroboy1293

Top vid WhirlyGirl.

I am now more eager than ever to test fly my Extra.
More like that one pleeeeeeease.

I'll keep you all posted on my trials and tribulations from across the pond. My Emcotec 'Gismo' should be here tomorrow,but, we have had gale force wind now for a week here and I'm not holding out much hope.

She ought to be airbourne within 2-3 weeks,which, is 2-3 weeks too long.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:42 PM
bgold

Flyingtiger: Did you just run each regulator the receiver or is there another oiece of equipment I can't see
Old 01-23-2007, 03:32 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Yep, I just ran the regulator output leads right to the receiver. I am using the JR 945S dual conversion PCM receiver, so it had just enough holes for everything. I figured it could handle the current from the one-servo-per-surface that I was running and so far no problems what so ever.

I personally think any expander or battshare device is unnecessary for a 50cc aircraft, not because of lack of safety either. When there are too many plugs or too much current then additional equipment is warranted.

Good luck with your build!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Mike_T5

Great to see another vid!!! The Waterfalls look absolutel awesome!!!!!! A friend of mine local to me has just uploaded a vid of his red/black/yellow one onto the Flying Giants website. I spoke to him today, and he reckons this is the most stable plane he has hovered, and by far the best plane he has ever flown! I should have mine back from Probuild all built and ready to fly next week with a little luck Can't wait!!!

Mike.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 AM
aeroboy1293

Well chap's it's finnished bar a couple of trivial bit's
Here are a couple of shot's with the Emcotec install. Extremely light 12.7oz and that includes all mounting hardware.

ENJOY!!.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60042.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	608206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35586.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	608207  
Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM
FlyinTiger

ORIGINAL: aeroboy1293

Well chap's it's finnished bar a couple of trivial bit's
Here are a couple of shot's with the Emcotec install. Extremely light 12.7oz and that includes all mounting hardware.

ENJOY!!.
Very NICE! I am glad your EMCOTEC system is so light. I like the way you isolated the vibration by using little fuel tubing standoffs...effective and cheap!

There are only a couple of things I would suggest, if you don't mind:

1. Put a piece of fuel tubing over the clevis on your throttle servo so it doesn't pop off. Just push it up the clevis until the small piece of fuel tubing is putting positive pressure in the closed direction on the clevis.

2. Watch your wires where you've taped them to the wood part of the airframe. As the single cylinder engine vibrates you might notice some wear on the wires if they are rubbing on the wood where it makes a corner. I've noticed this on my aircraft and had to correct it in a couple of places.

3. You might consider pinning your wing incidence dowls with a couple of hair pins as a back up. I've never had to rely on mine, but it sure is nice to know they are there in case the wing bolt were to come loose somehow or the head were to break off from over tightening (it could happen!).

Good luck and have fun flying your 'Hare!!![8D] Be ready to answer tons of questions at the flying field if you're the only one with one of these good looking birds...
Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 AM
aeroboy1293

Flyintiger.

Thank's for the tip's. I just have to get hold of some 'R' clips for the anti-rotation dowels to sort that one out.
I hadn't thought about using fuel tube on the throttle clevis to keep it closed but looking at it I think I'll be using some.
I ran the motor for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised at how easy and vice free the operation is.
I will have video of the maiden in a few days whick will be posted for viewing pleasure. My flying is not quite as good as your's and I can not 3D yet but I think i've got the perfect plane for the job..

Thankyou for all youre honest and very helpful advice once again.

James.....
Old 01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
FlyinTiger

Your welcome. I didn't have anyone to look over my plane when I was ready to maiden my first gasser. People here on RCU and other forums were able to help me out by looking at pictures of all my different assemblies and let me know what needed improvement and what was already well put together. I have the forums to thank for the knowledge I've gained so far.

Long after the maiden on my first gasser I was able to travel to fly with some R/C pilots who flew large planes (33 and 40% mostly) and they taught me even more about the details. I am still learning and welcome any tips people have for me...I suppose that is my alterior motive for doing a build review here on RCU, I can learn a great deal from other people's inputs too!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:32 PM
aeroboy1293

Flyintiger.

Sucessful test flight's today.

Couple of issues to discuss though.

1) Even at 12 deg of elevator and the CG set at 3.5" from the le at tip the model is VERY tail happy not to the point of unstability. I know you mentioned that youre model has the CG at 3" from the le at tip. Does it seem slightly more stable there ?

2) I fly from a tarmac runway so landing can turn into a bit of a walk sometimes. The model has a very nose up attitude when trying to slow it down enough almost as though it doesent want to land. Could this also be linked with the tail happiness and would a shift in the CG to 3" from le sort this out maybe?.

These are not in anyway negatives about the model as I'd only had the chance of 2 flights today and any answers to the above would help me with trimming out.

Note to RCTOM WOW What a fantastic model. May need a tad more expo on elevator just untill I get used to it. It is by far the best flying model of mine to date. You were right !! just get out and fly it !!
Only problem is now I want another one 102" sukhoi perhaps.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Greg Cothern
My Feedback: (8)

Aeroboy1293, I would like to sneak in on this conversation and say that the Extra is a big time floater and will keep flying and flying and flying....What you experienced on landing sounds very normal to this bird, mine has made its best when slightly nose high and a bit of wind helps too..
I have my CG at the recommended 3.5" and in inverted flight needs a wee bit of down elevator to keep level, at this range she still has a potent tail but stable as a rock!!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 AM
rctom

On landing learn to wiggle the rudder, that will scrub off speed faster than anything.

TF
Old 02-04-2007, 08:59 AM
aeroboy1293

Cheers for the tip's chap's

Yes the plane is rock stable in flight and yes it floats on and on even at idle. Next time I get out with it i'll try the rudder technique on landing. Once the motor has a few more tank's through I can settle the idle a bit more. At the moment it's a bit rich low to mid range so I've deliberatly set the idle a touch high.

RCTOM. I chose this model based on my eye's and heart. I love the shape of the extra,and, when the model is out on the flight line she shines way out there. I would like to dabble a bit with this 3D style of flying now ,and, I think This extra is just the ticket.
Nice one TOM.
Oh just a small note. When the model was weighed with proper scales she came out at 17.6 lbs. With the extra bulk of the 3W and canister I am chuffed to bit's at this figure. When I can afford to I will splash out on some trick carbon goodies,but, untill then I can't wait to fly it again and again.

Now all is finnished and she has flown can I say a big THANKYOU to all who contributed and gave help and advice to me. Believe me I have taken all on board and now feel more confident and able.

James..
Old 02-04-2007, 09:17 AM
rctom

Oh just a small note. When the model was weighed with proper scales she came out at 17.6 lbs. With the extra bulk of the 3W and canister I am chuffed to bit's at this figure.
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm still learning English. Is "chuffed to bits" good or bad?

TF
Old 02-04-2007, 12:37 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Aeroboy1293.
Great looking plane. Thanks for the English lesson. I too am Chuffed with my Extra and now my new Sukhoi which I have yet to fly.

One the subject of weight reduction, I think you can easily take a full 16-18 ounces out of you plane even with the 3W and canaster system. My extra 300 built stock with a DA50 on stock pipe was right at 16 lbs three ounces. I now have the weight just a touch over 15 lbs. Here are the pieces that saved all the weight:
1; Carbon wing tube about 3-4 ounces savings
2; Carbon elevator tube a little less than an ounce
3; Titanium tail wheel (from a Chip Hyde Double vision) a bout 1 1/2 ounce savings
4; Carbon main gear (TNT I think), Psp titanium axles and Kavan light wheels, 7 full ounces savings
5, No wheel pants which won't fit the wider Kavan wheels anyway, 3 ounces
6; Esprit fibergass 4 inch spinner. I couldn't believe it but saved 2 1/2 onces over the True turn spinner and was half the price.

That all added up to about 18 ounces of reduction so you have lots of room to work with.

Now to sort of echo what Tom said, just fly the plane and have fun. Even before I took the extra weight out of mine it flew light as a feather to me and had more than unlimited vertical. I know my power to weight and wing loading figures are better now, but I am not the greatest 3D pilot in the world so I am not sure the money spent on all the goodies was needed. If you absoulutely have to lighten the plane I would suggest the wing tube as that makes the plane stronger and I really like keeping the weight off of the nose so would go with the spinner.

Good Luck
Sailing1
Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 AM
FlyinTiger

Looks like everyone is having a ball flying their Wild Hare Extras. Mine is flying great, everyone says it flies bigger than it is. Yes, after running through the trimming sequence I found the CG at 3" aft of the leading edge at the wing tips. On a 45 degree upline this made my aircraft just barely start to fall.

Remember: Each person will need to trim their own individual aircraft to fly exactly how they want it to. The target CG is just to get you safely flying. The 45 upline and amount of push on an inverted pass are two tell-tale signs as to where the CG is and if you like it there or not.

A nose heavy plane is going to land FAST! A few guys at my field this weekend were complaining that their planes would not slow down on landing...it turns out they had followed the manual on where to put the CG for the maiden flight, but they never trimmed their plane. Knife edge coupling was horrendous as well as the plane needing gobs of elevator to do anything...rudder also seemed not very effective.

A tailheavy plane will balloon on landing and be very pitch sensitive. The plane might even climb slightly when rolled inverted. Usually this is due to the down elevator trim that is in to make it fly level while upright.

Lightening the plane is definitely doable. Just replacing the stock aluminum tube with a carbon fiber tube will allow anyone to put on a lightweight composite spinner and still balance on the same CG. One ounce way out on the tail seems to be the same as the 3 oz. saved on the spinner.

Good luck and keep 'em flyin'!
Old 02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
aeroboy1293

RCTOM.

'Chuffed to bit's' is GOOD in a very good way!!

I love it !!.

I have to start the trimming now. Found a good link to a chart at troy built models.

Only thing to put a dampener on my day is the leaky crank case on the 3W.

I will add some carbon goodies later but for now I am having a ball with it. Awseome model Tom!!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Mike_T5

Well... picked up my Extra from Probuild on Friday. Have spent a most of this afternoon and this eve setting up the radio, and installing the two Li-ion packs in the tail (3w-56i twin up front). She is now ready to go, and I am hoping to maiden tomorrow morning if all goes to plan. I will post pics, and maybe some video as soon as I can

Mike.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
FlyinTiger

SWEET! I am really interested in seeing pics of the 56 twin installed in the 84" WH Extra! Don't forget to post those pics! I know a lot of people would love to see how that worked out for you.

If you can get a video of the plane flying, complete with the sound of the motor, that would be awesome![8D]
Old 02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
rctom

I agree, I'd like to see/hear that too.

TF
Old 02-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Mike_T5

Well guys... maidened the Extra today, and loved it! Flew beautifully, with CG at 3" (2400 Li-Ions x 2 in tail), but no additional weight. No trim was needed at all. First landing, I caught a rope that ran across the field, and the plane flipped over landing in the canopy. Canopy pulled away from it's ply frame, but otherwise perfect. Second flight was perfect, with the softest landing ever! A word of warning though!... this plane is big, so if you've never flown big planes before, remember that it is much further away than it looks! In short, on the approach of the third landing, I thought I had flown over some trees, and descended. Then... 'Crash'!... and through the tree came the plane! The engine cut, and the plane nose dived. I managed to pull full up, and pancaked very softly! The plane has a couple of very minor bruises to the leading edge of one wing, and two of the balsa stringers in the fuse cracked, with U/C flattened. Otherwise... the plane was completely unscathed!!! (Did the same thing with my DP Extra last Summer)

Other than that... had it hovering (at some height) on the first flight. She is incredibly stable in the hover! Control authority is awesome!!! Upright harriers are sweet, and inverted harriers are unbelievably solid! Pulled an inverted elevator too, and she descended soooo slow, and kept perfectly flat with virtually no aileron or rudder input... unreal!

As for the engine... my first gasser. But, Probuild built this in such a way that the engine is mounted on a ply plate, which is in turn mounted to rubber cotton-reel mount which are fixed to the firewall. The rear end of the silencers are also rubber mounted. The result is an engine which in unbelievably quiet and smooth... in fact, too quiet when anyone else is flying, as you simply can't hear it at all if anything else is in the air! Transition is really fast and smooth, and pull-out power is awesome! The plug caps protrude just a couple of millimeters on each side of the cowl.

Took a couple of pics, all of which I have just tried uploading (to no avail). He was hovering so low, and leaning into the wind a little, that when he went to pull out, the elevator hit him on the side of his head!

Mike.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:31 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

glad you got away with the minor repairs! Toms birds are built tough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.