Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Big Yak

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Jecarte
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Yak

Tom,
Has anyone asked you about bringing a 40% Yak 55 to the bunny line up? I have a couple of friends that are dying to get big Yaks, plus the big Comp-Arf Yak is too big for some of the popular engines not to mention the price WOW. SD models (toc / aviation models) has a 37.5 Yak 54 but who knows how long that company will last until it changes its name again. The rumors are out there that Comp-Arf is going to come out with a 3m (smaller) version of the big Yak (3.3m). Also Aerotech has a kit for the 55 coming out with a couple of people building them on another web site. I think with the new henge system you have it would be a sweet plane to ARF, and your prices would wipe the competition clean.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Big Yak

Comp Arf came out with a smaller version of the 3.3m Yak a long time ago. It's 2.6m, I have one, and you're right, they are DAMNED expensive! You could prolly do four 50cc planes before you started to get close to the final all up cost of the Comp Arf, and more than 2 of the W/H 100cc planes.

As for W/H coming out with a 37-40% Yak? I think he would have to have 100 firm orders with big deposits in hand before he committed to that. My opinion is that the day of the Yak is shortly coming to an end. In competiton you only have a couple of selections at the moment. Any given flavor of Extra or the Yak. That HAS to change. When a few more of the 35% Sukhois start making it to the flying fields changes will start to occur, and a few more manufacturers will jump on the Sukhoi bandwagon. Just as they did with 50cc planes in general. It's a game of follow the leader, and when it comes to a lot of things in gassers, W/H is most definately a leader. From a commercial stand point I could see a 40% Sukhoi before another Yak.

I believe that two other planes W/H will be debuting shortly will fit the needs for those that have tired of the same old everyday planes. The new MX2 and the super sized 40% Giles will both be formidable contenders and not be the same ol', same ol' type of models. Better still, the 40% Giles will still fit in the bed of a pick up bed. Just barely, but it should fit.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does anybody think of the Yak 55SP. Easily the homeliest of the available aerobats, it's almost cute it's so ugly, but I hear they fly nice.

TF
Old 03-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Tired Old Man

That's the one I have. It's the only one I'd have. I met a full scale at an airshow once. What a slick little airplane! The 54 sucks.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

The 55SP flies way better than the 54 in my opinion, especially the 3.3m not that the 2.6 flies all that bad. I'd agree that doing a Compa-Arf of similiar size to a wood plane and you could do almost 2 of the wood plane by the time you are done with the Comp-Arf
Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Jecarte

I know it would be a big seller, the long fuse makes it a perfect IMAC plane, I had a 2.6 comp-arf Yak and it was a sweet plane, sold it to buy a 40%er.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I am yak'd out. What I would like to see is a 40% edge (single place) like the Hemple Edge in a Flame scheme , or a smidge smaller than 40%, like a 38% that is around 36-37lbs.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 PM
F1race79
My Feedback: (6)

The 40% is almost too big and slow...you almost need a 200 or bigger to fly IMAC with them. They are so slow they don't snap or spin well.
I have the 37% and it is too slow on the down lines sometimes. I think the 35% is perfect size, IMHO.
I must think like razback, a 37/38% Edge would be awesome................
Of course, Tom is coming out with the 35% Extra and that is going to be an awesome plane in it's size.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:34 AM
rcnutmd
My Feedback: (2)

i vote for a 40% yak 55 in an affordable price range and one that can fit either cannisters or full length pipes. john m
Old 03-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

To me, the Yak 55 is just butt-ugly.[:@]
Old 03-18-2007, 10:38 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Guys..........Since i have been into the flying thing , everything " I thought" i read always leaned towards the Yak 54 for serious 3-D , and that the yak 55 really didn't perform all that well at 3-D. I'm not sure about the IMAC stuff , but i have read the yak 55 performs really well in that type of flying. Personally , i haven't even been able to build my first Yak 54 (SD-Models) 33% yet , but I KNOW when i get ready to upsize to the 35% size i really like this WH Sukoi (which is my first choice) or a 35% 260 of some type. Also.......Just from what i saw at the Mollala imac/freestyle show this last summer , i totally agree with that the 40% just seem to slow. All the guys are saying "bigger fly's better" , well , that may be , but the looked really slow compared to some of the 35-37% size airplanes , that in my eye's , looked more responsive , cheaper to build ( a little) and flew great.

Like i said , i haven't even built my first yak , and i'm already yaked out! It seems like that's what everyone owns and i want something different that stands out in a crowd of yak 54's. When i build the 35% , i'm looking for something new , and that Sukoi i think would be my choice. I have seen all the pics and threads with SS and RIK with their's , and fitting it with a BME 115.......aaahhh , my dream plane!!

Jeff

Old 03-18-2007, 01:13 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: rctom

Yes, 40% size planes do seem slow, that's the whole idea.

Look at it from the pilots perspective. Trying to fly 3d or precision, either one requires lightning fast reactions (something I've never had). The faster the plane reacts/acts, the faster the required pilot reactions must be.

A bigger, slower plane gives a pilot a bit more margin, sort of like making your reactions faster relative to what must be done.

For example, look at a snap roll. The faster theplane rolls, the more difficult it is to judge the exact time when the snap should be stopped. A big plane that does the snap more slowly give the pilot a better chance of getting the exact spot.

I do agree that 35% planes in some cases can be more fun to watch, but pilots tend to like a plane that reacts more slowly.

TF
Old 03-18-2007, 01:13 PM
rctom

Yes, 40% size planes do seem slow, that's the whole idea.

Look at it from the pilots perspective. Trying to fly 3d or precision, either one requires lightning fast reactions (something I've never had). The faster the plane reacts/acts, the faster the required pilot reactions must be.

A bigger, slower plane gives a pilot a bit more margin, sort of like making your reactions faster relative to what must be done.

For example, look at a snap roll. The faster theplane rolls, the more difficult it is to judge the exact time when the snap should be stopped. A big plane that does the snap more slowly give the pilot a better chance of getting the exact spot.

I do agree that 35% planes in some cases can be more fun to watch, but pilots tend to like a plane that reacts more slowly.

TF
Old 03-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Jecarte

The request for the Yak 55 wasn't for a 3D plane, but for IMAC mostly, everyone who has see and flown the Comp-ARF 3.3 meter knows how sweet it is. The problem with it is the price and the need of a $2000 engine to power it. You cannot compare the Yak-55 to the YaK-54 they are different in many ways. Plus if anyone is sick of something, I'm sick of hearing people saying they are YAKed out. Until you have flown a YAK 55 you can't even comment on it. Another reason I brought this up was because I wanted Tom to know many comments have been made by IMAC guys saying they wished there was a YAK 55 out there for a DA150 size that didn't cost a arm and legg. Oh and if you want a 40% 540 start your own thread, I'm Edged out LOL
Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 PM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Jecarte

The request for the Yak 55 wasn't for a 3D plane, but for IMAC mostly, everyone who has see and flown the Comp-ARF 3.3 meter knows how sweet it is. The problem with it is the price and the need of a $2000 engine to power it. You cannot compare the Yak-55 to the YaK-54 they are different in many ways. Plus if anyone is sick of something, I'm sick of hearing people saying they are YAKed out. Until you have flown a YAK 55 you can't even comment on it. Another reason I brought this up was because I wanted Tom to know many comments have been made by IMAC guys saying they wished there was a YAK 55 out there for a DA150 size that didn't cost a arm and legg. Oh and if you want a 40% 540 start your own thread, I'm Edged out LOL

Jecarte ,......what i was trying to say , is that i am "yak 54" Yak'd out. I didn't and wasn't inplying anything about the yak 55. There are very few yak 55's out there.......the more the better i think , so don't take that the wrong way. I think if tom has enough of a demand to make one , i'm sure he will give it some thought , but only he can answer that one.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Tired Old Man

The Yak 55 is a sweet flying plane in all respects. At 102"" it's a 33% plane that would handle a 100cc engine just fine. It looks bigger than 33% at 102" though.

One of the composite versions with color will set you back almost $1,800.00 for the plane alone by the time it makes it to your door. There's really no reason for that other than the limited number of suppliers on the market and the "dealer reps" in the middle of a Comp Arf sale. If someone was to come out with a 55 in a 100cc size, that came in fairly light, and sold for under $900.00 it would move pretty well. If the average modeler was able to use the assembly skills they already possessed, and not be required to learn or understand techniques particular to fibergalss and carbon fiber, it would be better still. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for high quality epoxies and milled fiber to dry? Then add in the number of assembly steps you get to do. Lot's of time expended that's not going to be with a standard construction plane.

The 55-SP looks and flys better than a 54.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:06 AM
Jecarte

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

The Yak 55 is a sweet flying plane in all respects. At 102"" it's a 33% plane that would handle a 100cc engine just fine. It looks bigger than 33% at 102" though.

One of the composite versions with color will set you back almost $1,800.00 for the plane alone by the time it makes it to your door. There's really no reason for that other than the limited number of suppliers on the market. If someone was to come out with a 55 in a 100cc size, that came in fairly light, and sold for under $900.00 it would move pretty well. If the average modeler was able to use the assembly skills they already possessed, and not be required to learn or understand techniques particular to fibergalss and carbon fiber, it would be better still. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for high quality epoxies and milled fiber to dry? Then add in the number of assembly steps you get to do. Lot's of time expended that's not going to be with a standard construction plane.

The 55-SP looks and flys better than a 54.

I had a 2.6 Comp-ARF Yak and its a 35%
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45901.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	645178  
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Tired Old Man

I have one too, and not to argue, there's been some dispute between those that like to nit pick between it being a 33 or 35%. To me it doesn't matter, it's BIG and flys great. If it is indeed 35% so much the better for the number crunchers.

Nice looking, well designed graphics on yours. I presume those are graphics? Well done.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Jecarte

Yes I designed them myself, but I sold this plane to a man in South FL. I've moved up to the bigger planes.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

What is the difference between this Yak and the big WH Sukhoi. They look a lot alike to me.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
bubbagates

As usual, Silver makes some excellent points. I'm like him as my reactions have slowed down. Nice big planes make it easy for me to handle the plane as it all seems to happen slower. Sorta like when you take a student up on a trainer, seems kind slow doesn't it??? Can you remember far back enough to when you thought that plane was haulin???

Let's take Tom's 33% Edge which I own and compare it to his 28% Edge (Version One) which I have flown several times for a club member.

Both fly equally well, both do incredible KE spins, upright and inverted flat spins, but the 28% winds up a bit tighter in the KE spins and I have more throw on the 33%. Now I know weight/surface area means a lot because you have to get that mass moving but the 33% still winds up right on the wing tube, it just doesn't look like it's gong as fast and does not lose altitude near as quickly which gives me more time to pull it out where I want it.

Both planes are powered in a similar fashion (power to weight). The 28% has a Da50 at 17.5lbs and the 33% has a 3W80XI-CS at 22lbs but to me the 33% is easier to land. I can land the 28% just fine but the bigger one seems to slow down much better. Downlines on the big one are slower, uplines are just perfect. The snaps are nice and tight with a very noticeable break on the bigger one where as the snaps on the 28% can be fast and much harder to stop where you want it.

I can remember when no one wanted a Sukhoi (I actually prefer a Sukhoi to a Yak. I wish the Sukhoi was ready when I had bought my 50cc Yak), no one liked them, now look at Tom and see what he has done for that plane. My guess is the same thing would happen to the 55SP if he did one
Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Tired Old Man

A little background first.

The Sukhoi was originally designed to better compete against our Pitts Specials, the Extras, and the Laser 200 in FAI fullscale aerobatic competition. It has proven to be an excellent design for it's purpose and will soundly trounce those that fly against it when it's flown by a capable pilot. The Sukhoi is VERY expensive to produce and purchase, which was the reason for the creation of the Yak 55. The Yak costs a competitor about 70-80% of what a Sukhoi would, and will ALMOST equal the Sukhoi in performance, making the win or lose difference between the two planes generally come down to differences in skill between the respective pilots.

There are actually quite a few differences between the full scale Sukhoi and the Yak 55-SP. One is the 55 rudder shape and depth. It drops below the bottom of the fuselage in a rounded shape and is narrower at the top. Looks cool! The Yak cowl is a bit smaller in diameter and fits tighter to the engine. The visual distance from the front of the wing to the front of the cowl is much shorter on the Yak 55. The tip shape of the main wing on the Yak pulls back a little more at the trailing edge. The fuselage is narrower, but is flatter and a little higher behind the canopy. The Yak has wheel spats, the Sukhoi typically has none. The Sukhoi sits higher on it's gear than the Yak. The gear on the 55-SP is significantly different from just about any other plane. It's made from tubes rather than flat stock, and the legs are straight. And finally the Yak 55 is overall a bit smaller than a Sukhoi. Side by side the differences between the two planes is quite apparent.

The performance of either plane is best described as--- WOW!!! Funny thing about either plane. Both have been severly under represented in model aviation. The Sukhoi has had a much better showing, but for the most part has always been shorted in design and poorly proportioned when done as a model. The small ones were always a bit of a handfull. That changed with the introduction of the W/H 35% Sukhoi!! The Yak 55-SP has been done almost not at all with the exception of Comp Arf, with the emphasis going to the Yak 54, which does not perform nearly as well. The 54 is much easier to produce as a kit due to it's basic shape, wing planform, and landing gear. Want to be different at the field? Want to fly the tails off the Extras? A 55-SP or Sukhoi would usually be the only one there, and kick some serious butt.

As far as Yaks go, I aways thought that the 54 was butt ugly. That's why I never got one. OTH, the looks of the 55-SP kinda tickles my fancy[8D]

Tom, it's all on you now The basics are already there with the Sukhoi. Some mods in the front, re-position the wing, the gear, the horizontal stabs, and the rudder would be all it takes to bring one to market. I think it would move rather well in 35%, and do so-so in 40% simply because of the lower number of people that purchase 40% planes. Not everyone has, needs, or wants a trailer to get their planes to the field.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:21 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer
The performance of either plane is best described as--- WOW!!!
AHMEN!!! I tend to like the Sukhoi's lines better, Tom will be getting a call from me for one of the Sukhoi's shortly and if he does do a Yak 55 I'll get one of those as well.

Dang bunny planes are multiplying again....
Old 03-19-2007, 04:28 PM
sailing1

Thanks Silversurfer

If the 55 will fly as well as my new 35% Sukhoi then it will be a real winner. I can sure echo what Bubbagates has said about the way the bigger planes fly. The Sukhoi is my first 35% plane and I am probalby spoiled forever because of it.

Sailing1
Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
sailing1

Thanks Silversurfer

If the 55 will fly as well as my new 35% Sukhoi then it will be a real winner. I can sure echo what Bubbagates has said about the way the bigger planes fly. The Sukhoi is my first 35% plane and I am probalby spoiled forever because of it.

Sailing1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.