Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

ball links hitech arms--WH Suhkette?

Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

ball links hitech arms--WH Suhkette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
draces1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball links hitech arms--WH Suhkette?

Is it ok for me to use the arms that come with the hitech servos along with the ball-links that come with the optional hardware kit or should I go with some aftermarket arms?

The hitech arms I'm referring to are the plastic ones that come with the 5955's and the 5645's.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ball links hitech arms--WH Suhkette?

After market is better but if you don't install the ball links way out on the arm you can get away with it for awhile. Just check them before every flying session for cracks. By way out I mean no farther out than 1-1/8" from the servo output shaft with 1" even better. Do not use them on a double arm for the rudder. I want to repeat the part about checking the arms before a flight session. Plastic twists under side loads, there's no way to avoid it so just keep track of their condition.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:06 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Pat the further out they go the less force they have to take. So the distance out actually helps if the mechanical ratio is the same or similar.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:38 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flatlandmike

Pat the further out they go the less force they have to take. So the distance out actually helps if the mechanical ratio is the same or similar.
Not to be too technical, you are correct about less force but the arm narrows so it's not as strong at the end as it is in the center, also there is more arm to twist.

I have used the Hitec black arms on many many planes with ball links and no trouble. However keep in mind that I go through planes like popeye goes through spinach, so I do not know what will happen after a couple hundred flights. I have never heard of a Hitecx black arm breaking.

TF
Old 03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

ok I can see that.

I have used the black arms for a few flights but only on my new planes ailerons since i needed longer arms on the ele to clear the surface I used some swb arms that were longer. Ill let ya know in the middle of summer how 3 hundred flights affect the hitec black arms.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Tired Old Man

It was the twist, not the torque, that generated my caution on linkaqge location.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

just make sure you use the Thick one, there is 2 sizes in the box.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:41 PM
RPool

I did this as the council I got said it was the safest bet. I figured I would take away as many failure points (other than pilot error) as possible...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97385.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	917093  
Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 PM
ottrod

ORIGINAL: draces1

Is it ok for me to use the arms that come with the hitech servos along with the ball-links that come with the optional hardware kit or should I go with some aftermarket arms?

The hitech arms I'm referring to are the plastic ones that come with the 5955's and the 5645's.

Thanks!
Go back to "The Hangar" and have George sell you some of those SWB or MPI aluminum arms that he has in stock. Then, you won't have to worry about them!! They're 'purdy to look at as well!! $50 is cheap insurance in the grand scheme of your beautiful new 50cc bird (JMHO).

Were you at The Hangar around noon today???

Keith
Old 03-30-2008, 03:58 PM
draces1

That was me. I was looking at your build thread earlier. Sweet. I must say, the pictures don't do it justice.

Can't wait to see yours (and mine) in the air!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Tired Old Man

Just to be sneaky, with the dual aileron servos on my 40% Giles I used two types of servo arms on each wing. One Htec plastic on the outer servo and an SWB on the inner servo. This is just a test of durability. Both are set up the same with ball links and 1-1/8" out from the output shaft. I figure if the plastic one fails the SWB will be enough to control the aileron until it lands. We'll see how time and use effect the plastic arms.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:17 PM
draces1

I'll be interested to see how that turns out. We'll all owe you for the experiment!