Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

New 35% Edge

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Ruski31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 35% Edge

Thats funny we must think alike cause thats what I did moved it up about 1 1/2" and I followed the wing to stab incidence . But thats okay won't make it fly any better. Thanks for your help you got me motivated again. Oh yeah some more pics would be great and eventually some video would be cool too.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I have for a video camera is a still image camera that has some light video capabilities. I've taken video but having Yahoo stops me from uploading anything of any size. You have to be able to upload more than 5 seconds of video for it to be useful at all.

With luck and a cooperating physical condition it will fly this weekend. I'll see if RTK can bring a video camera and be able to upload. Be advised I haven't flown for various reasons since about last September. It could be pretty ugly
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Ruski31

Ugly, I doubt it. Its just like riding a bicycle.... right? It would be nice to finally see it in another dimension. Well good luck hope all cooperates this weekend, have fun. We might actually see 60 degrees this weekend if the snow melts I'll get to bang the Suk around alittle....ya right.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Ruski31

Hey T.O.M. , soooo did ya fly it this weekend?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Tired Old Man

Flew the new one today but didn't get any flight pics. It's time I cleared the Air about something. I haven't flown since last September because I came home from the last trip overseas with a nasty bug that nobody should ever have to endure. Today was the first I've felt that I might be able to fly, but even then I felt I was pushing things a bit. I've had to learn how to do all the basic things that everyone takes for granted all over again and it's going a bit slow... So no hard knocks about my wiring I was lucky to be using my hands when this one got assembled

In any case, we re-checked the c/g again and it was dead on the center of the wing tube. At this location the plane still retains a small amount of nose weight that enhances stability but there is no negative effect on 3D flight. An inverted 45 degree upline and hands off had the plane initiating a gradual nose over descent, so it's not yet at the tail heavy point. The plane holds a line very well too. Pitch coupling with K/E flight was very, very small. I didn't try to do any mixing yet since I need to get lower for the next couple of flights to accurately judge it and develop a mix. It won't be much.

First flight required 2 clicks of right aileron trim and from there it was hands off. This plane flies much too slow if you want it too. Anything much above idle will keep it in the air and approaches for the landing are deceiving becasue of this. If you carry power to the runway you'll be going too fast to land. Speaking of landing, this is the easiest plane to land I've ever flown. Using the tube center c/g, just fly the approach to a position over the runway you want and cut the power. It lands itself from there.

The DL 100 seems to be stronger engine than the RCGF 100, and it holds an idle much better while it's new. No dead sticks and no threats of the engine stopping in flight at all.

Here's a couple of pics of where the equipment is at and one with RTK doing the honors of holding the tail at the field.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50489.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1153220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99296.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1153221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23011.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1153222  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
nitro wing

Sorry to hear about the Illness.Hope you can completley shake it soon.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Ruski31

Hey T.O.M. thanks for the reply sounds like she's a keeper. Hope you shake that bug and get back to your "OLD" self real soon.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

My wife thinks Ralph looks like Jack Nicholson and my twin 3-year old boys want to know what happened to the pilot and the "pants-wheels"!

The plane looks great Pat. For the life of me I don't know why these are not more popular. It oozes quality like all of the Wild Hare planes!

I hope you are feeling better soon btw.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Tired Old Man

RTK is just as ornry as Nicholson I don't fly IMAC so a pilot or panel for me is wasted weight and effort. Had I used pants on this one I would have filled one of them with mud today. I sorta ran off the edge of the runway on the first landing while groping for a mode rate switch.... Too long without a radio in my hands Then again, the first thing I usually hit when carrying a plane from hither to yon is the wheel pants, so leaving them off is a defensive measure[8D]

Thanks for the thoughts about my health. It will be some time yet to get out from under the bug but it's going rather well.

BTerry;

The quality is definately there. Great parts fit and easy assembly. Someone that has normal control of their hands could have this plane together in 12 hours or less if they worked at it. The hinging is done, the canopy/hatch is done, and the servo fit in the pockets is pretty good. If you use a DA or DL 100 you don't even have to do much for centering the engine since it comes with a template. At least most of the time. Once in awhile one gets out without the template. I'm pretty sure that if the TOC 106 works out there will be a template for that.

It's absolutely a keeper. The prototype I had was probably the best flying plane I've ever had, and there have been quite a few planes over the years. This one flys so close to the same that I can't tell the difference. Perhaps a little better since the balance is about 1/2" more aft than I had the prototype set at. It's just soooooo easy to fly and hard for anyone with even a little bit of experience to get into trouble with. Oh yea, rolls on a vertical upline did not exhibit the usual corkscrewing off to one side like one would usually expect. The only other plane that I have flown that performed vertical rolls without veering off to a side (no mixing) has been a 3.1m Comp Arf Super Extra. So this Edge flys with the big boys in performance.

The only hard part is getting the engine to warm up when flying. I don't think I spent more than a total of a couple of minutes spanning a couple of flights at more tha 1/3 throttle. It takes very little power to do anything. Now I need to set up the Extra wings to try the psuedo Slick 540 set up. Tom likes his more than the Edge wings but he doesn't do 3D.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 AM
RTK

HOly cow I'm bald! and ugly too, must be the glasses

Yes, the plane flies very well
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Pat...glad to hear that your health issues are getting better!
This plane sure looks like a real winner! I'll be curious to see how you like it with the Extra wings. It would be great to have a great 3d plane, then switch wings and have an pure IMAC plane.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Tired Old Man

Not quite, just a "retreating" hairline

Switches:

Note the switch position over the back of the wing in the picture where Ralph is holding the plane. This is an important area to pay attention too. If you are using a larger switch, such as a DSC switch, the opening in the fuselage has to be enlarged to fit the switch. You must make opening modifications upwards and rearwards on the fuselage for a good fit. If you take the opening forward and/or lower on the fuse the switch will interfere with the seating of the wing. I found that out with the prototype and had a fit issue. Assembling the production plane with that fore knowledge permitted the hole re-sizing without any associated wing interference.

For anyone interested, there were no additional support or strengthening items added anywhere on the plane. There was and is no need.

Tom:

Regardless of my signature line, you know you always have my blanket permission to use any photos or text in any way you have a need or desire.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Ruski31

Hey T.O.M., what are you using the matchbox for?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Tired Old Man

Elevators

I have a bunch of them and it's faster (for me) to set one up than it is to sync them through a Tx. Better match points too.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Ruski31

Got a question about the DL100. One of the spark plug boots has a coiled up spring inside and the other one doesn't. Did one fall out or does it only need one and having spings inside both would be redundant? I imagine it's there for grounding?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find them a nuisance and pulled them out of mine, seems to work fine.

TF
Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 PM
RTK

Isn't that spring supposed to come in contact with the top of the spark plug?? If it is gone the spark might have to arc to the plug cause problems.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Tired Old Man

Yes and no.

There's two springs in each cap, small upper and large lower. The lower springs in the twin RC Exl CM-6 caps are part of the grounding arrangement. It's possible to have an incomplete ground without them. However, if one elects to modify the caps to where a pipe clamp can be used to tighten down the cap you can do away with the lower springs. If the cap won't move on the plug you will have a good ground. I had a long discussion about this with Terry at CH a few weeks ago.

You modify the cap by grinding part of the two outer ridges off so the clamp can make a good fit. I noted this modification un the gas engine forum a couple of months back and caugt a lot of grief about it not being necessary. I'm still looking for one of the springs that shot out of the cap when it was removed from a plug.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:47 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

Looking good Tire old man,,,

ohh man i haven't been arround here or anywhere forever I bearly post anymore or even fly I Moved down to Uruguay South America back in November and I still got my 35% Edge boxd up in a crate I guess I'll be the first one to gly the WH Edge here in the South ehh???

Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Tired Old Man

What brought about such a drastic relocation? I'd beed wondering why you'd been so quiet of late. Good to see your still around.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:22 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

well im originnaly from down here and i lived in the states since 97 we been thinking in moving back before getting too old to start over so we left alll the good staff of the US to come closer to family,,we sort of traded good steady income for not so good income or not at all but closer to family.
I now only get online when I walk 700 meters to a nearby hotel where they got wireless interent.
We also got tire of the rutine of going to work-home-work more work and paying bills and more bills.
Dont have much down here but its quieter and everything moves slower maybe im just getting old!!!!

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

What brought about such a drastic relocation? I'd beed wondering why you'd been so quiet of late. Good to see your still around.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Tired Old Man

I understand. I really do. There's much to be said about a simple life style that provides more time to live rather than giving up more that half of every day to make ends meet.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Tired Old Man

I've got 5 flights on the new Edge now. The DL 100 is definately enough engine for the plane but they are shakers compared to some other engines. More power than an RCGF 100 for sure. I've used a 26 and 27" BME laminated props on it with the 27" having better performance and reducing vibration a bit.

I'm using 25 degees for low rate rudder and 45 for high rate. In a low rate K/E pitch coupling is so slight that I don't notice it. In high rate K/E you're going to need a rudder/elevator mix. It's hard to have a plane throwing that much of a brake out into the wind not have pitch coupling at high rates. I did not notice any roll coupling in either high or low K/E. K/E spins are awesome!! So are waterfalls and tumbles. It K/E loops nicely using a single 7955 in pull-pull for the rudder.

The plane will fly effectively at 1/4 throttle and that is the only difficult part to get used to. It flies soooo slow and retains control authority it's scary. The approach angles used for a landing have to be considered to avoid gaining airspeed in the descent. Then again, you can harrier the thing down low then level off for a landing. So landings can be real short, even using a general descent profile. Oh yea, I have not had ANY wing rock in a harrier or ultra slow flight with either the prototype or this plane. She's rock solid!

I'll see what I can do to con RTK into catching some video of it. Just as long as he doesn't get any of me flying sitting down in a damn walker...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
RTK

You know that's not gonna happen
Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Tired Old Man

I was afraid of that. Bad enough I have to learn how to fly again so you'll hammer me with the indignity of sitting in a walker.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.