Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

New 35% Edge

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 35% Edge

Nothing to worry about Pat, just glad to hear that you're flying again! This plane sounds like something special, we would sure love to see some video. Ofcourse, that might hurt my bank account!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 PM
romeln

What are the ultracote #'s for the 35% edge in the gray and blue scheme?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cub yellow for certain on the yellow trim. Corsair blue for the blue, and I believe the grey is simply grey. Not numbers but I believe the color names to be correct.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, not Corsair blue. It's midnight blue.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Ruski31

Tom have you gotten instrument panels yet ? My pilot says he needs his dash done asap!
Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 PM
John2

Ok, ya'll have left us hanging for too long. Give us some updates and more flight reports. Where's the video? I'm interested in moving up from 50cc and this plane has my attention.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Tired Old Man

I don't do videos. Someone else has to do them. I haven't yet figured out how to get a video more than 3 seconds long to upload through Yahoo.

I just got back from putting the 13th flight (2 gallons through the DL 100) on mine and all I can say is it's stupid easy to fly. I just finished the basic flight trimming and at the center of the wing tube for c/g there is no noticable pitch or roll coupling in l to r, canopy to you, K/E. There is a very slight amount in r to l. Perhaps requiring a 2% rudder/elevator mix. In high alpha K/E, using about 43 degrees of rudder, there is no roll or pitch coupling in l to r K/E. In r to l it takes about a 5% rudder/elev mix to tame the small amount of pitch coupling present. There is a slight amount of roll, needing less that a 2% aileron mix to eliminate it. You just don't need more than 45 degrees of rudder on this plane. 45 degrees of elevator is plenty. I'm using 35 degrees for high rate aileron and I don't feel any need for more.

The plane flys effectively at about 1/4 throttle. Just a few clicks of idle trim will keep it in the air. Wing rock is zero. Altavillan flew it today and wondered where the wing rock was that many planes have. If you have any it's because you're holding some aileron in the harrier. You can drive around all day in a harrier and never feel uncomfortable. I'm still a little touchy on my elevators at low rates, using about 18 degrees each way and 35% expo. For those that like to fly lots of 3d the plane is quite stable when flown completely in high rates. K/E spins wind up pretty tight if you want them to. Very easy to enter and exit. Safe steering is maintained at absolutely minimum flight speeds. I'm using 70 and 75% for high rate expos. 70 on the rudder and 75 for everything else.

Tumbles are pretty fun, as well as tight and easy. For a fast and clean waterfall pull up in high rates using a little right rudder and as it comes over the top go to a little left rudder. Just a tiny bit of rudder each way and she stays super straight through the waterfall. Multiple vertical snaps are a piece of cake and still maintains a good upline. Point rolls are very nice. All the usual maneuvers require little effort. There is no tail wag with this Edge at any flight speed.

Oh yea, using rubber bonded washers on the H-stab retention screws eliminates the need for any Locktite in that area. Mine have not loosened at all since they were installed. I really like using 10-32 nylon hex head screws on the hatch. They don't loosen up until you take them out. Completely eliminates all those times a 4 or 6-32 hatch screw backs out and falls away into never-never land.

The only negative I have is that the hatch could have the yellow covering re-shaped to better match a true Red Bull plane but that's easy to correct if desired.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Tired Old Man

For thos that might be wondering about c/g loacdtion and the ability to move things around a little for different types of flying.

As previously noted mine is balanced at the center of the wing tube. That balance point requires that the elevator have a little up trim input. For those not familiar with the 9303 tx I'm using, JR uses a function known as "trim step" where the lowest trim step number, or 1, equals the finest, as lowest possible amount of surface movement for each "beep" of the trim button. A "10" setting is the most coarse setting and generates the largest amount of surface movement for each "beep" of the trim button.

I initially trimmed my plane out using a trim step of 4, or on the slightly fine side of course. After the initial trim flights the trim steps were adjusted to 1 for finer adjustments. The ailerons and rudder are dead neutral, with the elevators trimmed at the "1" trim step setting of two "beeps" of up trim. That alludes that there is still a little room to move the c/g aft for a true neutral trim. Not very much room though! At this trim position and c/g the plane requires a very slight amount of down elevator to hold straight and level when inverted. A neutral elevator trim position would have the plane on a very slight upline if the elevator stick was left untouched when flying inverted. Trims were established at a constant medium flight speed since the plane never requires anywhere close to full power to fly straight and level.

Originally I had though that I had a little too much down thrust on the engine since it would pitch up a little with large throttle reductions. That was using a relatively coarse trim setting of 4. Every time I tried adjusting the pitch trim, one beep of trim either way would generate a slight pitch up or down in level flight, but with those small pitch changes coinciding with throttle changes in level flight. Changing to a finer trim step corrected the pitch trim and removed any doubts I had about the engine thrust line. The engine down thrust on mine is just right as it came out of the box.

The firewall also has a couple degees of right thrust that probably works out for those that feel a need for it. Personally, I can't stand pre established engine thrust offsets in an arf and won't build it into a kit built plane. My personal preference is starting with everything zeroed for establishing trims and mixes. In this case the down thrust seems to have hit the mark dead on.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
flatspinjim

T.O.M it's really too bad that you can't get a video of this plane in flight. It sounds like an awesome plane but you don't hear a lot about it. I really don't need another 100cc plane, but your flight reports just get my heart racing!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM
rctom

I really don't need another 100cc plane!
Sure you do, you just don't want to admit it.

TF
Old 04-09-2009, 06:37 PM
flatspinjim

You're probably right Tom. I really love my 260 and I have it setup for IMAC but I'm thinking I need a 3d plane. I was going to order the 88" edge but that dang Pat keeps saying how well this thing flys!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Tired Old Man

If RTK would ever consider leaving his little private field almost next door to his house and come out to where the big boys play, he might get a video that he could upload Where he flys they don't permit twin cylinder engines.... Some wierd form of club politics You would still have to settle for my flying though, which at the moment is not as good as it could or should be.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:40 PM
flatspinjim

They don't allow twin cylinder engines? [X(] That would be enough for me to go someplace else!
I have no doubt your flying would be just fine. Hope you're feeling better!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Tired Old Man

That 88" Edge would be fun, but you'd always be telling yourself what you coulda, shoulda, and woulda done had you flown the bigger one. She's a real hoot for sure. Although she can be a 3d monster in talented hands she's also stable enough to do well in IMAC. I don't have the time, inclination, and disciplin for IMAC but I can recognize the ability when a plane has it.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

OK Tom, I want an Edge.

So what will it take to get a 100cc Edge but in the 88" color scheme? Prepay and wait is not a problem.

How about if I also order the 88" Edge?

Dan
Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 PM
flatspinjim

I second the 88" scheme, it's my favorite out of all your planes
Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: Airbike

OK Tom, I want an Edge.

So what will it take to get a 100cc Edge but in the 88" color scheme? Prepay and wait is not a problem.

How about if I also order the 88" Edge?

Dan
First, call me at 817-430-0107. This kind of thing is business and I don't do business in a public forum.

Second, you guys should be aware that I now have a few 35% Slick 540 conversions available. These are wings made to fit the Edge fuse but with double taper wings like an Extra, which is what a Slick 540 is. THey look like the photos below, the bottoms are the same as the Edge wings and tops are in a simple matching scheme. I can sell a plane as either Edge or Slick or both.

Finally, I am posting a photo of a slightly modified scheme, this is an electric that we will be selling, It uses the Edge 88 scheme but without the checkers. Let me know what you think.

TF

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58733.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1177113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48215.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1177114  
Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 PM
RTK

ORIGINAL: flatspinjim

They don't allow twin cylinder engines? [X(] That would be enough for me to go someplace else!
I have no doubt your flying would be just fine. Hope you're feeling better!
Yep, unfortunately the board wanted to keep a couple of idiots from flying there. It worked, now they are out of the club and I am pushing to have the rules revised. Fortunately I have four other locations to fly, but this one is only two miles from my house.
T.O.M.You and Alt are lucky, you don't have kids any longer taking up valuale flying time.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
flatspinjim

Kids take up a lot of time and money, but worth it! My field is only a couple miles away too, so I understand.
It's too bad that there is always one or two guys that mess everything up for others. I hope you get your rules revised
Old 04-10-2009, 01:59 PM
RTK

Yes, children are worth it. What I said didn't sound right. But the teenage years are giving me gray hair, what is left of it
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM
flatspinjim

Join the club!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:06 PM
John2

Thanks for the updates Tired Old Man. Care to compare the Edge to the Wild Hare Sukhoi. Just reading back through some of the threads it sounded like you liked it alot also. If you could only have one for 3D fun flying, which one would it be?

Tom @ Wild Hare............I'm just like some of the others, when I get ready to order the 35% Edge I want the color scheme that is on the new 88" Edge.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Tired Old Man

For straight 3d? The 102" Edge imo. The Sukhoi does both IMAC and 3d real well, with the Edge having it's stongest virtues leaning towards 3d and great maneuvering at ultra low speeds. The Edge runs fast and true but you'll never be doing any hard pulls or large deflection stuff at max speeds. You don't need to go fast to do anything and there would be such a large change in flight speeds that it would not be as fun.

To my knowledge there have not been any of the 102" Edges made with the 88" color schemes. I can't speak for Tom but I would think the factory would require a call for 25 to 50 of them before they would make them without tagging on a demand for more money. So far it looks like the count is up to 3.

RTK,

When that club was founded it immediately kept two people from flying big planes there. You and me. As I recall two of the people that were involved in the process had a bit of an attitude with me for sure, and you possibly. The only people that pair would ever pay attention to was each other
Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
RTK

Believe it or not, there were actually two bigger idiots than us

Hopefully I will be able to sneak away Saturday, and if you are kind, will let me have a turn on the sticks of your edge again. Weather permitting.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:25 PM
altavillan

Weather permitting? Your yearly excuse quota was used up about a month ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.