Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

TOC 53 update info

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:29 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TOC 53 update info

When the TOC-53 came out it had a nice muffler with a 24mm OD exhaust outlet. That muffler made excellent power, and combined with our hop-up kit the engine is a gem.

A few months ago 3MM began shipping engines with mufflers that have a smaller outlet, 20mm instead of 24. It sounds like a small difference, but this change reduces the area of the outlet by 1/3 and consequently reduces flow, increases back pressure and knocked power down by over 400 rpm. Since then I have been trying to get the factory to go back to the original design.

I am happy to announce that I now have a supply of engines with the larger outlet mufflers, plus a supply of mufflers to retrofit those engines we sold that had the smaller muffler. I believe there were about 25 of them, I have not been pushing the engine because of this because I was pretty sure people would be disappointed. Now we are back to having the best 50cc class engine on the market, especially with our proprietary hop-up kit installed.

So if you need a new engine you can be sure the ones I sell have the good exhaust. If you bought one of the ones from Wild Hare with the smaller muffler, and it's still in usable condition, I will be happy to exchange it for a new one with the larger outlet.

If you no longer have the small outlet muffler to exchange, or if you bought an engine from another source and want a new one I have them in stock for $50. I have a limited supply, so first priority is to our customers.

Contact me by phone or email to place an order.

Tom Fawcett
Old 10-18-2008, 11:39 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TOC 53 update info

kewl thx Tom for the update....
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Brunito
My Feedback: (10)

Tom nad Patty

As always a GREAT costumer service Thanks for take care of your costumers. Is almost imposible not to go back and order another airplane from you

Thanks again

Bruno E. Sandoval
Old 10-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Brunito

Hello Tom I received the Toc HOP-UP kit and I read and read the whole instruccion over and over and I am triying to undersatn where the small piece of tape has to go. Can you please tell me exactly where this piece of tape has to go what its the pum pulse pump

Thanks for you help

Bruno
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 PM
rctom

Call me
Old 10-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Brunito

Can I call you now ?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:34 AM
rctom

Looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83907.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1062845  
Old 10-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Brunito

Thank you Tom you are the BEST.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Brunito

A quick Updated on the TOC 53. I get from Tom my Hop Up kit and my muffler what a BIG difference I was getting from the engine 6700 rpm and after the kit and the big muffler I get 7220 rpm both days of the weekends what a diference

Thanks Tom for you research and your constatly research to find the best product.

Bruno Sandoval
Old 11-03-2008, 12:54 AM
exciter900rr

ORIGINAL: Brunito

A quick Updated on the TOC 53. I get from Tom my Hop Up kit and my muffler what a BIG difference I was getting from the engine 6700 rpm and after the kit and the big muffler I get 7220 rpm both days of the weekends what a diference

Thanks Tom for you research and your constatly research to find the best product.

Bruno Sandoval
I Know that altitude, pressure, prop size, octane, and MANY other factors contribute to the "final numbers", but if I may, What prop are you running to get these numbers? just curious as I am right around 7k at sea level and 29.89 in press. running a 22/8 jxf with a Bowman ring and the hop up kit... with a Bisson pitts muffler as well- For oil, I am running H1R belray at 50:1 in 91 pump gas.
I am not skeptical by any means, as I think this hop up kit turned the 3mm toc53 from a good engine to an exceptional one for sure. this thing is rock solid now!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 AM
rctom

RPM on an engine that's running at its peak can vary from 6400 all the way to 7400 deending on choice of prop. I've seen 7400 on a Vess 22-a and as little as 6400 from a Mejzlik 23-10. The thing to remember is that the engine should be running properly and you should look for what you want from the plane's performance, not the engine. I find the Vess props to not produce the flight performance that I like even though they make a lot of RPM.

Once it's tuned for optimum performance you should prop the engine for about 6700 rpm static on the ground, I find that this give me the best performance in the air. This usually results in something like a Bunny 23-8 or Menz 24-8, or one of our new graduated-pitch 23-8's which work very well.

TF
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Brunito

What prop are you running to get these numbers? just curious as I am right around 7k at sea level and 29.89 in press. running a 22/8 jxf with a Bowman ring and the hop up kit... with a Bisson pitts muffler as well- For oil, I am running H1R belray at 50:1 in 91 pump gas.
Exceter 900 I am running a 91 Octane fuel with the same oil as you H1R Belaray @ 50:1 and I am in New Orleans area so that mean I am almost below sea level the prop is a bunny prop from Wilf Hare 22X8 I also has one of those 22A bunny prop but I did not try it yet so I can give you a updated on that one. But I am pretty sure the muffler has a lot to do with the engine since you have the hop up kit and diferent muffler.
This is my first gas airplane so I am on a learnig curve about all this technicals issues
Hope this help
Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
exciter900rr

Thanks, Tom, and Brunito!
I know it has to do with the particular application, I was just curious- I just can't believe how well this engine runs right now.....

Brunito, Welcome to the "learning curve"! You are certainly in the right place, dealing with the right people to be new to gas! Thanks for the reply, and btw, I have been running the "bigger muffler" for a while before the pitts came in, and it was definitely a powerhouse! No real noticeble power loss/gain from the bisson muffler though fwiw- KM
Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
rctom

Big news!

I have located a source of less expensive canister mufflers. The price of the German made MTW and K&S canisters has made the canister kits very expensive.

I have found and tested a new canister that runs very well, is quiet, and has a 1 year warranty that is about half the price of the German units.

So we are lowering the price of the TOC-53 canister kit from $249 to $165. The kit includes a mount, teflon coupler, clamps, the header and the muffler.

I installed one of these in my 53cc powered test plane, it's turning a 23-8-GP Bunny prop at slightly over 7100 RPM on the ground. This engine has the hop-up kit installed, and this power output reflects the fact that the new muffler actually improves power slightly while lowering noise dramatically.

The canister muffler alone is $90.

TF
Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 PM
exciter900rr

did someone say, "more power"? Sounds good! I wonder what kind of pull that puppy has now? Already a stump puller in my book!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Obee

Tom,
I'm installing my new hop up kit and have the carb off. during my initial assembly I disabled the throttle return spring, today I noticed the throttle has what feels like a detent ball effecting its travel. Is this the case with this carb and if so is there a way of disabling the ball or should I not worry about it? I have heard of people machining the groove where the ball runs to reduce the detent effect and reduce strain on servos on the choke shaft. I'm running HS 425 on both the throttle and choke.
Thanks
Obee
Old 11-14-2008, 04:43 PM
rctom

There is no detent ball on the throttle, I sugges that something else is obstructing the throttle's smooth operation.

TF
Old 11-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Tom

I saw this update the day you put it up, but didnt pay it any mind thinking I had got my engine way before this happen, so I kept on flying my Suk. well untill yesterday a friend of mines bought a Suk. from another friend wich he had put together but never flew it. so when we got the plane we started checking it all over and proceded to cut the mufler outlet off. after coming home and looking at my muffler it called my attention so i got my cut of pipe and compared it with his and this is what i got (see Pics) His Package Deal was from the first batch wich was not hinge and mine is the #042 from the second batch wich is hinge. I flew my plane today and check the RPM and got 6,360 and finished the second galon of gas.
Do you have any "big" mufflers in stock ? or would you recomend the switch to the canister? noise is not a problem as we are in an open area.
Kenric Phillips

Name:	Ge96130.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1073436  
Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 PM
rctom

Either way will give you more power. I do have the larger mufflers in stock, contact me by email about it.

[email protected]

TF
Old 11-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you Tom Ill be calling you tomorrow (Monday)
Old 05-20-2009, 07:26 AM
rctom

As some of you know I've been out of the TOC-53 hop-up kits for a couple months. Iran into a supplier problem that took a while to resolve, but it's now in the past and we're back in business with the kits. I have everything in stock now except a couple small parts which are on the way and should be here within a week.

We're offering the original hop-up kit at $69 as before, this kit uses the stock carburetor and replaces the stock 2 petal flat reed valve with a 4 petal V-block reed valve, this gives 150-300 rpm improvement and also cleans up the mid-range a bit. Flying a kit-equipped TOC-53 is a noticeable improvement over the stock engine, and most people who buy the kit come back for another one if they have another engine.

I also have some new "level-2" hop up kits now for $99. This is the same reed valve but also gives you a larger Walbro carburetor which seems to increase RPManother 100 or so, so with this kit you are probably looking at a minimum increase of 250 rpm and a cleaner mid-range performance.

Please be aware that these numbers are achieved in an engine that is in good condition. Isee some engines that are mis-adjusted or have some other problem like broken ignition wires, bent mufflers, etc. Before you install a hop-up kit you should be sure your engine is in proper operating condition to get the most from the kit installation.

Tom Fawcett

Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 PM
RPool

Hop Up Kit questions...I didn't have instructions in my kit so I tried the install on my own. I have never touched a carb so I am flying blind. Everything seemed to make sense except I wasn't sure about the thick red gasket made out of plastic. Does this picture look like I stacked things right? Also, my kit didn't have a piece of tape as described in posts above. Lastly, the nipple on the reed box...what's that for? Is that for the same thing as putting a nipple on the pressure plate and running a piece of tubing to the fuse? Do I connect the two nipples?

Name:	Jh16299.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1503091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93707.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1503092  
Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 AM
rctom

I sent you the instructions by email, that should explain it. The red plastic spacer replaces the white one and the piece of tape is no longer needed.

TF