Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

50cc Giles not far away

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:39 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 50cc Giles not far away

Barry, you are correct. While I think the Red Bull color scheme is extremely attractive to the eye, I also can see how it would be difficult to see in the sky.

I also agree in using strongly contrasting colors and also in contrasting design schemes top to bottom.

I am very excited for this one to come out. I need a 50cc plane but the airframe sitting on my workbench.

Also in reference to my earlier comment regarding using Extra-style wings on the Giles fuse to make a pseudo MX2, I should note that the MX2 design has the fuse stretched slightly while the elevator hinge line remains in the same location. The result is the elevator hinge line lies a bit forward of the rudder hinge line, while they conincide on the Giles design. I guess this could be overcome by installing a second stab tube carrier a bit forward of the existing one. Save weight by allowing the builder to install only one carrier tube during assembly (one doesn't really "build" a Wild Hare plane, they are highly prefabricated out of the box and require minimal assembly).

Even better, I could just ignore the discrepancy and enjoy the plane as-is.

I am posting the pictures in the links I posted above. This is a simple, easy to see scheme.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73140.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1181500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83479.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1181501  
Old 04-16-2009, 04:12 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with the others on the contrasting top and bottom colors. I have the flame scheme on my 35% Extra and the whole bottom was white and sometimes hard to see, especally on a cloudy day. I added black stripes to the bottom and that helped a lot. I like the checkers on the schemes that BTerry offered, always hard to go wrong with those. T.O.M's ideas about the metalics and pearls would also be great.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK you caught me. Nobody usually looks at these details.

Technically speaking this plane started out as an MX2 and so it has the MX2 tail design, slightly modified by me for "zero wing rocking". The elevators are huge and you can see where the hinge line is. It was later converted to the Giles wing planform. I can make it an MX2 again just by changing the wings.

This Giles will not suffer from lack of elevator authority, even sitting still with the engine running there is sufficient authority to control the plane.

TF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19818.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1181513  
Old 04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
BTerry

Good job on the design, Tom. Sometimes I get stuck in the engineering mindset and fail to recognize the obvious things right in front of my face. I didn't notice that in the pictures. I always did like that arrangement on the Cap designs. It seems to add stability to high-alpha maneuvers and makes the rudder more effective, balancing the effectiveness with that of the elevator.

This is torture! I don't know if I can wait 3 months for this plane. I am eagerly awaiting more pictures and vids from the Texas 3D event (sorry can't remember the name) in a few weeks.

edit - moving the stab hinge line forward (or rather moving the rudder hinge line aft compared to the elevator hinge line) also helps in other ways. It will allow a plane to tumble like a shorter-coupled plane while giving the arrow-like yaw damping and tracking stability of a longer fuse plane, especially in knife edge, in rolling maneuvers and during snap recovery.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:10 PM
rctom

And you ought to see it do a harrier or elevator. It just locks in and sits there, descending vertically while sitting at about a 30 degree angle of attack. No wing rock, no loss of control, you can add a little throttle and drive it around with the rudder until you get bored.

It's a very cool flying plane.

TF
Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 AM
HISS

Have you gotten a feel for those HD servos. Are they the HD-9150 MG's? This is one great looking bird. Can't wait!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:12 AM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Well Tom has given us the choice of a forward stab or rearward one on the 50cc Sukhoi so it might work on this plane also I am sure he has thought about that too!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 AM
rctom

The forward stab works great, no need for another location on this one.

So far the HD servos are working great, but only a few flights so far.

TF
Old 04-17-2009, 02:03 PM
BTerry

I only mentioned the two stak locations because I didn't know the stab was already forward of the hinge line. This is perfect IMO because it minimizes interference between the elevators and the rudder, incorporates a few flight characteristic upgrades, and is visually more appealing (again, IMO).
Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone knows of a distributor that has a small model of the original Giles or a small one of the 202 would you let me know. I had a meet with part of the original Giles design team today and he would like to get his hands on one for his office.

If the elevator on this new plane is as effective as the one on the big Edge you definately don't need a dual location. My Edge lifted off the runway (holding to much elevator) from almost a dead stop in a 17kt wind and maintained enough control to set it down again without damage. Now that's elevator authority!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 PM
BTerry

Pat, I am sure Scale Craft could pull it off. http://www.scalecraft.com/index.asp?...on=Custom&ID=6 Price would "start at $229+ shipping" and would take 25-24 weeks. Custom carved out of mahogany.

Or this company: http://www.mahoganymodels.com/new75240.html Absolutely beautiful work. My Dad has one on his desk (Piper Seneca IV).
Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Tired Old Man

Thanks, I'll pass that on to him.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 PM
BTerry

Back to the 50cc Giles, it was announced 5 days ago and I am like a 7 year-old waiting for Christmas. I hope I can make it 3 months! I am getting antsy now. I haven't been this excited about a plane in many years.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:39 AM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that gets excited about new planes!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 PM
roboto65

I am stocking up on gifts for my wife already and working on my forgive me speech. As one great Man said it is better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:03 PM
rctom

Today I went flying with two of my associates and we wrung the new Giles out as much as possible. This one is equipped with a TOC-53 with stock muffler, 5 HD Power servos, and a single A123 pack powering the whole thing. I haven't weighed it yet but it feels like its weight is a little more than an Edge and a little less than a Sukhoi.

I have to say that this Giles is the best flying 50cc plane that I have ever had. It's incredibly stable and forgiving yet is as good as the Edge at 3D, maybe better. It does things so slowly and predictably that even I, the worlds worst 3D pilot, was able to do some impressive things.

Inverted flat spins and blenders are so easy, gentle and stable it looks effortless. And waterfalls with this plane (like the bigger Giles) are really a snap. Since the Giles wing is directionally stable doing repeated waterfall loops is just as easy as can be.

And I don't ever want to hear from anyone that Giles' are unpredictable landing. This plane is so easy to land anybody that can fly it can land it. Totally controllable all the way to walking speed.

And the plane is rugged. LG is a little heavier than the Edge/Extras, the LG mount is very sturdy. I just can't say enough good things about this plane.

It will be worth the wait.

TF

Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 PM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

Tom did you ever get any video of this plane with Kyle flying?

Rich
Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: cmircman

Tom did you ever get any video of this plane with Kyle flying?

Rich
No. The weather was so bad that the deal with Kyle fell apart. He left early and so did I.

TF
Old 05-02-2009, 11:25 AM
roboto65

So how is the HD servo testing going are they working out and will they be availible when the Giles comes out working on the package for when the Giles shows up. Working on talking the wife into preordering the Giles that is LOL
Old 05-02-2009, 12:11 PM
rctom

So far they work fine and I plan to get some into stock. I'm very happy with them.

TF
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Tired Old Man

I sure hope it flys as good or better than the 28% Edge. I made the mistake of providing a price today when someone asked and the next thing I knew my little Edge suddenly belonged to someone else.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
roboto65

Oh I am on the list as soon as it comes out cannot wait have been waiting for Tom to do the Giles in 50cc come on Summer LOL Love my Sukhoi too !!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:33 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I sure hope it flys as good or better than the 28% Edge. I made the mistake of providing a price today when someone asked and the next thing I knew my little Edge suddenly belonged to someone else.
It's as good or better, but different. I know that Pat already knows this.

A Giles is a more stable plane than an Edge or even an Extra. The wing design does this. I really can't understand why people say they are unstable, we've had 3 of them and they are all solid as a rock. Somebody somewere must have really put out a turkey.

The Giles design requires larger control surfaces, particularly elevators, to do the same 3D stuff that an Edge does. But when equipped with larger than scale elevators and adequate throws and servo power it's every bit as agile as any other plane while still retaining the stability. It's really the best of both worlds.

It had been a long time since I flew one. I love this plane.

TF
Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Tired Old Man

I needed to make a hole in the hanger for another plane in any case. My wife mentioned the other day that we didn't need to build a garage as much as we did a hanger..... Still don't know why I let the little Edge go though. Must have had a weak moment for a flyer that had never flown gas before. He's ruined now though

I agree completely about the stability. The most nerve wracking flight experiences I ever had were with two planes. One was an old pure scale 72" Sukhoi ARC kit by soem maker I can't remember and the other was an old glow powered 60" span Giles by someone. Both were absolutely terrible planes to fly. The Suk was a control handful and the Giles was so heavy it needed a larger engine to fly than suggested. That made it heavier still with too little wing area. Combine that with a manufacturer suggested CG that was much too much forward and it woud stall out in a 60 mph landing flare.

I have both the 35 and 40% Giles and they are some of the easiest planes to fly you can get your hands on.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 PM
rctom

I have both the 35 and 40% Giles and they are some of the easiest planes to fly you can get your hands on.
Here's the thing about the new one. It is only 5 inches smaller wing span and weighs about 8-9 pounds less. When you put it together it almost seems the same size as the original.

TF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.