Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Smoke for canisters

Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smoke for canisters

There has been a problem for a long time putting smoke on an engine running canister mufflers.

With stainless steel headers there is no real good place to install a smoke fitting. Some canisters come with a smoke inlet fitting, but when you introduce the smoke oil into the muffler you've lost a lot of the heat that makes the oil smoke, and from what I understand it can develop into a gooey mess inside the muffler.

I asked a machinist friend to make up some 3/8" thick aluminum flanges that are the shape of the exhaust port, we did it for the TOC-53/TMM-106 and also for DA-50 size ports.

Now, here is the embarrassing part. Somebody called me a couple days ago and I told him about this and he wanted one. The problem is he caught me while I was on my way somewhere and I failed to write it down. I have no idea who it was.

So if the guy who asked for a smoke flange reads this, please call me back.

TF
Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
tomriddle
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smoke for canisters

Tom,

What causes the stainless steel header not to be a good place to install the smoke fitting?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: tomriddle

Tom,

What causes the stainless steel header not to be a good place to install the smoke fitting?
The walls are very thin, the fitting will almost certainly strip out in very short order.

TF
Old 04-26-2009, 01:41 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the cure might be to weld a boss on the outside of the can that will accept threading?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:35 AM
rctom

If you inject the oil into the canister you don't get the high heat levels that you get at the exhaust port, that's the whole point of this thread.

TF
Old 04-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Tired Old Man

Sorry, I meant the pipe....
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Sorry, I meant the pipe....
So what's harder, finding someone to TIG weld a plate onto paper-thin stainless steel or bolting a flange in between the geader and the exhaust port?

TF
Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Tired Old Man

I'll take the flange any day. I have a few of them 1/2" thick for some mufflers when they don't drop far enough to clear a firewall. Keeping the smoke inlet closer to the the exhaust port by having the inlet in the spacer/flange does produce better smoke than having the inlet farther out on the extended muffler. Bisson mufflers makes them for various versions of their muffler products. Drilled and tapped for a fitting.