Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

servo glitch

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 PM
dave de
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo glitch

Hey guys, I have wildhare edge 540 I got from Tom. First off, tom has been great with helping out with questions I had, & there were quite a few!!! I,m using a dx7 spectrum. I,m using a servo reverse y-harness on my elevators. The problem I'm having is after I get the plane trimmed out, on the ground, I notice one side of the elevator moves, sometimes more than an inch. I have called spectrum they replaced my receiver. I called HI-tec & they replaced my servo, because at one time it moved so radically back & forth it actually froze up. I have checked all my servo connections & replaced several of them. I cant figure out what to do......the servo reverser has a tiny little screw that when you turn it, the servo will move to trim, 5 minutes later it moves all by itself, can someone PLEASE help me.....thank you, Dave
Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Obee

Default RE: servo glitch

From what you have written it sounds as if th only thing you haven't replaced is the reversing Y. That may be your next move.
good luck
Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 PM
dave de

forgot to mention, I replaced that too.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dave de

Hey guys, I have wildhare edge 540 I got from Tom. First off, tom has been great with helping out with questions I had, & there were quite a few!!! I,m using a dx7 spectrum. I,m using a servo reverse y-harness on my elevators. The problem I'm having is after I get the plane trimmed out, on the ground, I notice one side of the elevator moves, sometimes more than an inch. I have called spectrum they replaced my receiver. I called HI-tec & they replaced my servo, because at one time it moved so radically back & forth it actually froze up. I have checked all my servo connections & replaced several of them. I cant figure out what to do......the servo reverser has a tiny little screw that when you turn it, the servo will move to trim, 5 minutes later it moves all by itself, can someone PLEASE help me.....thank you, Dave
You stopped asking questions too early, you should have asked me how to hook up the elevators, I would say NEVER use a reversing Y. Put the two servos on 2 channels, and put in a mix (use mix # 5 or 6 so the trim works). You can reverse one channel and adjust subtrim and end point to get them to work exactly the same, then go retest it. I'll bet your problem has gone away.

TF
Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 PM
dave de

tom, thanks again..... I went out and had my maiden flight this weekend. I sent the plane, got her airborn & just a little aileron trim & up elevator trim she flew very nice. Then one side of the elevator went down about an inch................ I was able to land her safely & softly, no damage!!!! Thanks for the info, I'll get busy. I,m also looking at the new 260 540 with the dl- 30 they look nice............Dave
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 AM
dave de

I,,m reading my manual, so I guess I would make elev my master & elev my slave...... is this correct? I then plugged one lead into receiver thats marked elev & the other lead into aux 2. will this work
Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 AM
SENZA

hi dave i found the spectrum set up confusing when i first used it ,in fact i am still learning.i started with futaba radios and i found them to be a bit more user friendly .but if you search their web they have all the answer for you.i found this one for you [link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1798]elev set up[/link] good luck ' another way you could go for more fine tuning is the smart fly equalizer II it will connect to the elevator channel and the two servos
Old 11-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Waynesworld

I totally agree with TOM they shouldnt even make servo reversers, they are totally useless. i had a couple on some of my smaller planes and ended up just mixing 2 channels in my radio and now the servo reversers are in the trash.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dave de

I,,m reading my manual, so I guess I would make elev my master & elev my slave...... is this correct? I then plugged one lead into receiver thats marked elev & the other lead into aux 2. will this work
No, if you want to use AUX2 then ELEV is the master and AUX2 is the slave. Mixing ELEV to ELEV won't do anything.

TF
Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 AM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

Here is the correct set-up. I've used it on all planes since I first set-up my WH YAk-54. Works great:
Dual ELEVATOR and DUAL Ailerons -

Posted by Mike McConville, Horizon Hobby, on RC Universe

( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5269071)

On set-up of models with 2 ail and 2 elev servos, I'd like to share the proper and fastest way to do this.

First, the rx connections:

1. Right side elevator into ELEV channel
2. Left Side elevator into AUX 2 channel
3. Right Side aileron into AIL channel
4. Left side aileron into FLAP (AUX 1) channel
5. Rudder and Throttle into the normal channels

TX program

1. Go into the Set-up mode (hold down scroll and select keys while turning on tx)
2. Scroll to the Input Select screen
3. Set Aux2 to INH, AUX2 TRIM to INH, FLAP to INH, FLAP TRIM to INH
This turns off both of these channels from the levers and switches. This is the proper way to do this, not using P-mixes or Travel adjust.
4. Scroll to Wing Type
5. Activate Flaperon

Elevator Set up
1. Power off tx and turn back on. Go to normal programming mode
2. Scroll to P-mix 6 (or Mix 5 - mix 5 and 6 "master" trim changes into both master and slave channel. Mixes 1 through 4 do NOT - editor). Set ELEV as master and AUX2 as slave.
3. Scroll to Sub Trim and set the neutral for the right side elevator with ELEV channel and the neutral for the left side elevator with AUX2.
4. Scroll to Travel Adjust. Set the desired travel for the right side elevator with the ELEV adjustment.
5. Scroll back to P-Mix 6 and tweak the travel of the left side elevator to match the right side with the mix values, for each stick direction.

Aileron Set-up
1. Go to normal programming mode
2. Scroll to Sub Trim and set the neutral for the right side aileron with AILE channel and the neutral for the left side aileron with FLAP channel.
3. Scroll to Travel Adjust. Set the desired travel for the right side aileron with the AILE adjustment.
4. Set the travel of the left side aileron to match the right in both stick directions with the FLAP channel in Travel Adjust.

From here forward everything will work as if the elevator and ailerons were off of one channel. i.e. DR, expo, p-mixing for pitch or roll coupling.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Just one other tidbit...

IF you find that after mixing aileron and elevator you're lacking some channels...say for smoke or what not...you can also use one of Smart Fly's Equalizer II boards for either aileron or elevator. I use them for both on my WH Edge, and they've worked flawlessly through 100+ flights. They're fairly inexpensive (< $50 iirc).

Personally, i also find the setup of them to be simpler and quicker than mixing in the DX7...but again, that's just subjective preference.

Nothing wrong at all with mixing in the radio, simply offering a different way to go about it, with its own benefits.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Walt and Sage

Dave,
If by chance you are using digital HiTec servos you reverse one with a programmer
or order one servo reversed... then a standard "Y"

Or two new servos, one reversed... ALWAYS need servos.... Walt
Old 11-05-2009, 03:02 PM
dave de

To all the guys who responded, a big thanks to you...... this site is the greatest!!!.I read up on mixing & much to my suprise I got it!!! Happy flying......Dave