Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

35% Sukhoi Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:10 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 35% Sukhoi Question

From what I can tell, the control horns supplied with this plane are like most other ARF's these days.
It looks like they don't extend over the hinge line.
Every time I buy a new or used plane, I wind up spending $60 TO $70 on DuBro hardware that I don't need just to get the longer horns.
Maybe it's just me, but I like the pivot point over the hinge line.
No differential, and easier to set up.
I asked DuBro if they would sell me just the horns and they said no.
Does anyone have a source or tip to buying or making these longer horns?

WHY do suppliers and manufaturers keep giving us this crap?

Sorry, just venting I guess...
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Unfortunately, I did not get the hardware that came with this ARF. I used H9 Titanium Pro-Links and Dubro 866 horns. The dubros centered right on the hinge line.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
bob_nj

pretty much what I wind up doing.
It's just a shame to have to spend another $70~80 on harware even if you do get the supplied stuff.

Take care
Bob
Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

HA!....Wow.....i haven't visited this forum in a while.....I didn't know the 102" Sukhoi was dis-continued. I have had mine for close to 3 years and never did finish it until now. I got busy with other planes and other stuff besides RC , and just never finished it. Bob , I know you stated having a DA-100 on the front and had a little bit of a hard time getting it to balance just right.......Makes me wonder if my motor choice on this thing is even going to work. I strapped a Kroma 100 on the front ( which comes in about 6.2lbs.....about 1lb heavier than the DA-100. Hmmm??.....maybe i'll have to sell the Kroma after all.

BTW.....I think mine should maiden here within the next couple weeks as well. She's about done , and ready to go up.....but i need to finish a few things first on it and see if it'll even balance with that boat anchor up front.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your Kroma is 6.2 pound complete then it's about the same as a DA-100. The old DA-100 is 5.9 lbs without ignition and mufflers, new one is slightly lighter but not much.

TF
Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

The 6.2lbs was with ign , prop washer and bolts and mufflers ( I think?). I guess i'm spoiled by the weights of my BME's.....and then picking up the Kroma makes me cringe hehe.

Tom....what was the reason you stopped making the 102" Sukhoi? Probably selling more extra's and edges? either way , it'll be a lot of fun maidening the big Suk after so long. I feel guilty having it just sit there that long , but at least she'll be able to finally fly.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 PM
K-Bob

Mine is the original DA100 so going by Tom's numbers you should be good to go. Just don't mount it out too far and put your batteries back as far as you can. You're going to love how it flies. I've been practicing a little IMAC with mine and it tracks very well.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bob_nj

From what I can tell, the control horns supplied with this plane are like most other ARF's these days.
It looks like they don't extend over the hinge line.
Every time I buy a new or used plane, I wind up spending $60 TO $70 on DuBro hardware that I don't need just to get the longer horns.
Maybe it's just me, but I like the pivot point over the hinge line.
No differential, and easier to set up.
I asked DuBro if they would sell me just the horns and they said no.
Does anyone have a source or tip to buying or making these longer horns?

WHY do suppliers and manufaturers keep giving us this crap?

Sorry, just venting I guess...
The better horn designs (nelson) were discontinued. Not enough sales with all the competition from product copies, along with worn out tooling that would have cost more to correct than sales would have covered. The rudder horns should make it over the hinge line using Dubro stuff. You just have to drill them for the right length. Not the best product design though. Using an "offset" rudder tiller at the rudder servo(s) takes care of any pivot geometry issues.

The elevators and aileron linkage locations do not make much of a difference. Most will dial in a little bit of aileron differential with most any plane so the benefit of a centered hinge line went out the window with differential.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 AM
bob_nj

Most will dial in a little bit of aileron differential with most any plane so the benefit of a centered hinge line went out the window with differential.
That may be so, but what you get may not be exactly what you want depending on if you have a centered hinge line, or a top hinge line like Comp Arf and some others.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a degree gauge on all my stuff when setting things up. If using percentages I do the math to obtain the degrees desired after establishing baselines. If I had 20* up and wanted 5 or 10% less down the results were pretty easy to obtain. The caveat is I use transmitters with quite a bit of versatility.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:01 AM
bob_nj

Sounds good!
Now let's go flyin
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
K-Bob

Agreed! I'm taking mine out in a few hours. Enjoy.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:33 AM
oldU/C

Hi,just picked up this W/H 35% Sukhoi, Auh she's a butte,but with a new cowl... she'd be the queen of the prom..anyone know where I might pick up one ? Thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 09:16 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one used/possibly slightly damaged one in stock, that's it. The one I have is in the red bull scheme.

TF