RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   WildHare R/C Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/wildhare-r-c-support-355/)
-   -   Wing Bolt Problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/wildhare-r-c-support-355/3288956-wing-bolt-problem.html)

AU flyer 08-22-2005 08:06 PM

Wing Bolt Problem

Yesterday I must have crosstreaded the bolt which holds on the wing on my 28% Edge. When I tried to put the bolt in today, the blindnut was stripped out and would not hold the bolt. At this point I can either replace the blindnut, which does not seem like an easy task, or drill a new hole and thread it for a 1/4" nylon bolt. If I do this I will probably do both wings. I would do a little reinforcing in the area where I drill the new hole.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Ken Bryant 08-22-2005 09:45 PM

RE: Wing Bolt Problem

Actually I don't think it would be to hard to replce the blind nut. Just remove a section of the rib and swap the nut then epoxy it back in with a little fiberglass reinforcment. The only thing I would do is swap the blind nuts for a SAE thread instead of metric.

rctom 08-22-2005 10:37 PM

Noooo! Don't cut out the rib.

You can tunnel in from the bottom, just behind the root rib. Cut out about 1/4" x 1/2" of sheeting right under the blind nut, and use a screwdriver or something to dig out the foam. Then you can get to the blind nut and replace it.

To fix it just cover the hole with ultracote. No need to replace the sheeting, there is absolutely no stress in that location because the wing tube is supporting everything a foot farther out.

TF

Ken Bryant 08-23-2005 06:26 AM

Well, ther you have it a far better idea from the guy that makes these things. Great advise as always Tom!

RCNUTKNOY 08-23-2005 03:44 PM

If the T nut is still in place securly, you can simply tap the threads out to the next size larger and use a larger diameter socket head screw. This has worked for me for over a year.

Just a thought.

John

AU flyer 08-23-2005 11:13 PM

I thought about tapping it out to the next larger size but did not want two different size screws on the two wings. I went ahead and cut it out as Tom suggested and it worked fine. Took about 15 minutes. I had hesitated to do this originally because I hated to start cutting on it...you know, the old first scratch on the new car issue. Anyway, it looks fine now.

Thanks for your comments.

tr911 12-22-2011 09:25 AM

I recently purchased a airplane that one of the blind nuts had fell out of the wing. It was the one used to bolt the wing to the fuselage. So, I took a piece of nylon cord, about 200lb test, and a 1/2" flat washer. I dropped the nylon cord through the hole into the wing where the blind nut is suppose to fit. I fished the cord out through one of the vent holes and placed the blind nut on it with the teeth in the direction they needed to be. I then tied the 1/2' flat washer to my cord. I eased the cord up until the blind nut was snug to the wing panel. I made sure it was lined up with the hole and pulled it just hard enough to get the blind nut to stick into the wood. I then eased the string and washer back out and put the wing bolt in and tightened it up to pull the blind nut into the wood. After that I carefully let some thin ca run down to the blind nut to make sure it did not come loose again. Walla, job done and ready to go.

rctom 12-22-2011 09:12 PM

Great idea. When that happens to me I cut a small square of 1/4" lite ply and install a blind nut into it, then I glue it in place while securing it with the wing retainer bolt. Your string idea would have made it a little easier.