RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   WildHare R/C Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/wildhare-r-c-support-355/)
-   -   New Wild Hare Sukhoi ready to fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/wildhare-r-c-support-355/4613960-new-wild-hare-sukhoi-ready-fly.html)

rctom 08-12-2006 11:10 AM

New Wild Hare Sukhoi ready to fly

1 Attachment(s)

Hello all:

Followers of this forum know that we have been working hard on a new 100cc Sukhoi.

Here it is ready for its maiden flight.

I've included a few photos of the canister installation, it's very clean and easy to do, the plane is designed with integrated tunnel and room for either two medium cans (100cc twin) or one big one (75-90cc single). This isntallation is with a DA-100.

The plane weighs 26 lb. 14 oz. ready to fly as shown. I plan to make some changes to the wings to take off maybe 4 ounces on each side, removing another half pound.

As you may be able to see, we are using the same pocket hinging on all surfaces that we did on the 41% Extra 300. No hinging required, and it flies so much better this way.

If flight testing goes smoothly we should have them available before the Xmas holidays.

Tom Fawcett

crhammond 08-12-2006 04:13 PM

RE: New Wild Hare Sukhoi ready to fly

SOLD - where do I send the cheque!!! Seriously Tom - you should take deposits, it looks FANTASTIC. I want one!!!

Chris.

ORIGINAL: rctom

Hello all:

Followers of this forum know that we have been working hard on a new 100cc Sukhoi.

Here it is ready for its maiden flight.

I've included a few photos of the canister installation, it's very clean and easy to do, the plane is designed with integrated tunnel and room for either two medium cans (100cc twin) or one big one (75-90cc single). This isntallation is with a DA-100.

The plane weighs 26 lb. 14 oz. ready to fly as shown. I plan to make some changes to the wings to take off maybe 4 ounces on each side, removing another half pound.

As you may be able to see, we are using the same pocket hinging on all surfaces that we did on the 41% Extra 300. No hinging required, and it flies so much better this way.

If flight testing goes smoothly we should have them available before the Xmas holidays.

Tom Fawcett

rctom 08-12-2006 04:15 PM

Gotta see if it flies, first. BUt thanks for the encouragement.

TF

Tired Old Man 08-12-2006 04:32 PM

If anyone sees one of these floating around for sale anywhere, it's a stolen plane. Let Tom, Greyhound, or myself know where you saw it.

Tom,

If it had made the trip I would have beat you into the air, you turkey. Let me know how she works if you would.

Cannisters??? Don't need no heavy, hot cannisters. I'll beat you on the weight by a pound easy:D

gixxer01 08-12-2006 09:10 PM

...DROOL... pleaseflygreatpleaseflygreat...

Oh Tom?? One small thing. Could you show a pic of the rear exit canisters coming out of the fuse? Is it one big hole for ventilation, or 2 small ones for the discreet look?

why_fly_high 08-12-2006 09:23 PM

The plane and scheme look great!

Dan

rctom 08-13-2006 04:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: gixxer01

...DROOL... pleaseflygreatpleaseflygreat...

Oh Tom?? One small thing. Could you show a pic of the rear exit canisters coming out of the fuse? Is it one big hole for ventilation, or 2 small ones for the discreet look?
Two holes for the discreet look. The can setup just came out so nice, ran the engine today and it's just a whisper.

I have a MSC 26-10 prop that I have never used because it's so big at the hub no spinner I have will fit it. Since the real Sukhoi does not use a spinner maybe this is a good chance to reduce sound even more.

TF

Tired Old Man 08-13-2006 10:50 AM

Tom,

I didn't much care for the performance of the 26-10 on my 6.4. It tended to hold down the rpm too much without a gain in thrust to offset.. I ended up doing some expensive experimenting going up the size ladder with Menz and Biela props. I have a hunch you'll end up with a 27 or 28" prop when you get to the sweet spot.

Jecarte 08-13-2006 04:11 PM

That is sweet!!:D

Ken Bryant 08-13-2006 06:53 PM

I love the looks of that plane in the Redbull scheme. But I do have to ask a dumb question. Is that cowl just a bit on the big size?

rctom 08-13-2006 07:01 PM

It may seem large, but it is quite to scale. The full scale Sukhois use the Vedeneyev radial engine and have a huge cowl.

This makes for a nice model because there's lots of room for whatever engine you might want and it has excellent downline braking, almost like flying a biplane.

TF

Tired Old Man 08-13-2006 07:20 PM

If I may, what were the distances from the servo arm clevis/ball link attachment to the attachment hole of the aileron horns? The same question again for the elevators if you don't object.

charrua 08-13-2006 07:30 PM

Tom Fawcett
[/quote]

sorry for asking but what's the pocket huinging??? is it kind of like the composites planes???? what's the wingspan???? is it a 35%????

By the way it looks pretty cool

Tired Old Man 08-13-2006 07:38 PM

35%. About 102". A lot like the Comp Arf hinging.

charrua 08-13-2006 07:40 PM

wow,,,that's pretty cool then alsmot no gap or no gap at all right????,,,,is it elev rudder and aileron same way????

Tired Old Man 08-13-2006 08:23 PM

Tom will have to answer the last part since I have not seen it yet.

badfish 08-13-2006 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this plane has been my screen saver for a few months. maybe fate? lol. looks good. here's a few pics of the full scale version.

japan3d 08-13-2006 09:17 PM

Cool, I'll get to see the full scale sukhoi in the red bull scheme here in november.

rctom 08-13-2006 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pocket hinging is similar to what Comp-arf uses on elevators and rudder, except we do it on ailerons as well.

The fixed surface (e.g. the wing) has small pocket built into the trailing edge. Spaced along inside that pocket are phenolic tabs that act is the fixed part of the hinge. the moving surface (aileron) fits into the pocket with the phenolic tabs going inside the surface through a small slit.

Then a CF tube is inserted through the whole length.

TF

SKYPILOT 08-13-2006 09:33 PM

Call me crazy Tom,

But those kinda look like spinners on those full scale pics [X(]:):D:D

Your prototype looks GREAT BTW [sm=thumbup.gif]

rctom 08-13-2006 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: SKYPILOT

Call me crazy Tom,

But those kinda look like spinners on those full scale pics [X(]:):D:D

Your prototype looks GREAT BTW [sm=thumbup.gif]
I stand corrected, the SU-26 does use a spinner. I will correct as required.

The question was asked "is it a 35% scale?".

The plane will have a wingspan of 105". Full scale sukhoi is 307", 307x.35=107.45.

But I'd say it's close enough, yes it's a 35%.

TF

Tired Old Man 08-13-2006 10:00 PM

Looking at the full scale pics, a 3 blade Biela would be a perfect match for a scale look. But the spinner you would have to use to maintain that scale look would probably not have any "base" left on it after cutting for the prop blades. I hate trade offs;) 105", well it's a bit larger than I thought. Super!:D

why_fly_high 08-14-2006 02:57 AM

If you look at the third picture in post 17 you will see that they are running different spinners. I don't think they run spinners on the original Russian boat paddle looking props. Most have gone to other props and are using spinners.

Dan

G-Pete 08-14-2006 07:55 AM

HHMMMMMMM……I was eyeballing the Extra 260 for next year to stepp up in the 30% ++ class.
Now this!:)

When this plane flies like it looks…I have to rethink. The hinging make sense and guarantee a nice air flow over the surfaces. I like the round corners on the end of the wings

The only thing which I would change is the addition of the rock guard, here in the picture below.

Other then that the plane is just fine – fine enough to reconsider…:eek:

Tom, good luck with the maiden flight!;)

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
http://photos.imageevent.com/germanp...ebsize/SU-.jpg

texomalaser 08-14-2006 08:45 AM

This is my next plane for sure..100 % for sure. I had a ultimate sport Sukhoi 26 a long time ago with a Quadra on it and it was a blast. Now I will have one with a ZDZ Super 80 on pipe...Cat wait....:D