Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

Wren 160, Projet ECU and 3S A123 battery

Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Wren 160, Projet ECU and 3S A123 battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Couch Potato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wren 160, Projet ECU and 3S A123 battery

Hi,

Can I use a 3S A123 battery with the Projet ECU supplied with a Wren 160 (gas start) ?

Or am I stuck with using the supplied 2S Lipo only.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: Wren 160, Projet ECU and 3S A123 battery

Technically, the ProJet uses voltage outputs on everything (unlike the Fadec which uses battery percentages)...so the larger supply voltage should make no difference as long as it can make the current.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Couch Potato

Thanks Ron,

I'm trying to help my friend with an install on a Mig 29, CofG needs the batteries embedded, so considering A123s all round for ECU & Rx.
Don't want to charge LiPOs in the model.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

CP and Ron,

Just to confirm, I have successfully used 3S A123 on the ProJet with a Wren 160. Works perfect, just have to change the voltage limits with the ECU control box.

I did it for the same reason ... I had to "bury" the batteries, and I will not charge LiPos in the airplene .. so A123 or LiMg were the two choices. I really like the A123s .. very robust and can charge very fast.

Only downside for a 3S pack is you have to route the balance lead separately and access it for servicing. I used the FMA chargers that charge the cells independently. As you may know for the 2S A123s you can do it all with a standard radio connector.

Dave