Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Early Wren 44 EGT

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Early Wren 44 EGT

I have recently test run my Wren 44 (early manual start model) in an early BVM Sabre & noted the EGT at 680 deg at full throttle.

The pipe is the BVM dual walled unit supplied with the turbine conversion kit but I'm not using the BVM bypass duct. The engine was running with the hatch off so plenty of airflow.

My pipe spacing was 35mm from the exhaust nozzle, as recommended by BVM, but I changed that to 25mm on advice from a friend who uses 25mm spacing on Wren single wall pipes.

The engine runs & transitions fine.

Is this temp too high? - John.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Early Wren 44 EGT

Hi John,

First, make sure the temp reads correct ambient when the motor is cold. Calibration could be off.

Wren recommends 20 to 30 mm distance for the Wren augmented pipe.

Remember that the reading you see is a number that the ECU corresponds to. An old trick to lower the number is to simply pull the EGT probe back a bit in the tail cone so there is less of the tip feeling the heat. The EGT temp is still going to be what it is, regardless of what the HDT reads out!

I had an email a while back from a Wren owner stating that his motor had started to run hot. In the end, it was discovered that he had accidently bumped the EGT probe and it was inserted in the cone further that before, thus showing a higher temp...but in reality, the EGT was still the same.

Hope this helps
Old 10-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Early Wren 44 EGT

Thanks for the reply Ron. I'll check the distance the probe is into the exhaust.

It's a bit of a squeeze getting the engine into position, I may have bumped the probe.

John.