Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

How is Wren doing in 2017

Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

How is Wren doing in 2017

Old 04-16-2017, 06:55 AM
Josh_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is Wren doing in 2017

Hi guys. I am interested in finding a used mw 44. The 10 pound version and just wanted to know the how Wren is supporting there products today. Not really interested in owning a used orphan engine.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 AM
RBallard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't believe that Mike Murphy is the owner anymore, I understand that he is now an employee and that some other company has taken over. His wife Leonie is leaving the company, for a job elsewhere.
I had the utmost respect for that company until they did what they did to me and my customers. There are many choices out there and most company owners don't $h1T on there partners and shareholders, or default on a signed contract. (20,000 GBP loan never repaid, and I lost 43% shareholding)
If I sound bitter...I am....8 years of investments and tens of thousands of dollars invested....It was all gone in less than 24 hours...and they were back up and running in less than 1 week under a new name.
I believe that all things in life come full circle....and I hope I'm around to witness it.
Good luck on your choices.
Ron Ballard
(Former Wren Turbines USA owner)

If the moderators don't like this reply...that is fine by me...but PLEASE remove the Wren Turbines USA from the turbine forum. It's been closed for nearly two years!!!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RBallard
I don't believe that Mike Murphy is the owner anymore, I understand that he is now an employee and that some other company has taken over. His wife Leonie is leaving the company, for a job elsewhere.
I had the utmost respect for that company until they did what they did to me and my customers. There are many choices out there and most company owners don't $h1T on there partners and shareholders, or default on a signed contract. (20,000 GBP loan never repaid, and I lost 43% shareholding)
If I sound bitter...I am....8 years of investments and tens of thousands of dollars invested....It was all gone in less than 24 hours...and they were back up and running in less than 1 week under a new name.
I believe that all things in life come full circle....and I hope I'm around to witness it.
Ron Ballard

If the moderators don't like this reply...that is fine by me...but PLEASE remove the Wren Turbines USA from the turbine forum. It's been closed for nearly two years!!!
so what you are saying in those 8 years you never made any money?
i feel worse for those suppliers of parts that never got paid....
your "loss" can be tax deducted , you may not made as much (- the money you invested).

i always had one thing learned in this business i own for 25 years now , you cant have more then one captain on a ship.
wren had more owners then employees , wrong purchase channels , paid to much for parts and where extreme stoburn..
Old 04-22-2017, 04:21 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by digitech
so what you are saying in those 8 years you never made any money?
i feel worse for those suppliers of parts that never got paid....
your "loss" can be tax deducted , you may not made as much (- the money you invested).

i always had one thing learned in this business i own for 25 years now , you cant have more then one captain on a ship.
wren had more owners then employees , wrong purchase channels , paid to much for parts and where extreme stoburn..
First.......

A deduction isn't NOT getting your investments back. And it's not 1:1.

Second....

The company F-ed Ron by (on paper) closing down, and reopening.

Third....

They F-ed their customers with engines like the 160, and destroying any hope of a USA service point.

If there was a legitimate realignment, or reorganization in the company, they would have worked with Ron to try to keep the USA side going. But, they didn't. So, my advice to the OP... just find some other engine. Kingtech has good customer service, as does JetCentral. AND... if you need a small engine... the new Jet Munt 70 is starting to ship, and Gaspar is a great guy to deal with.

FYI... I still have a wren 44, and I will run it this summer, and then replace it with a M70. (The Kingtech 45 is a little bigger)
Old 04-22-2017, 04:39 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron Ballard

Ron Sorry you got screwed so bad. You were always very good to me. I am still flying the last engine I bought from you just before Wren pulled there move. I guess when it needs work I can not repair I will through it in the trash. Thanks George
Old 05-01-2017, 12:22 AM
Nige321

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron Ballard

Or maybe, just maybe, there's a different side to the story...
Old 05-05-2017, 04:01 AM
Old NEET

Sounding there is no Wren distributers in the states anymore, right?
As an owner of Wren turbine, only UK is the service location and for future owners, only Wren UK is the shopping window?
This is an obvious withdraw for us in the states practically.
Am I understanding the situation correctly?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:01 AM
Josh_K

Guys. I am sorry to I didn't make my question more clear. My real question was about Wren U.K. Are they doing well and going to be around to service there product?. I now realize that this forum is Wren USA and that is gone.

Sorry I brought this up. I didn't mean to upset any one.

Also as a side note the forum name should be changed from Wren USA to just Wren. Clearly Ron is out of the picture and I understand.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:24 AM
Nige321

Guys. I am sorry to I didn't make my question more clear. My real question was about Wren U.K. Are they doing well and going to be around to service there product?. I now realize that this forum is Wren USA and that is gone.
Sorry I brought this up. I didn't mean to upset any one.
Also as a side note the forum name should be changed from Wren USA to just Wren. Clearly Ron is out of the picture and I understand.
I conversed with Mike this week.
Wren are in fine health with a good order and service book.
A new management team is in place for the business, leaving Mike busy doing what he does best, working with current and new products.
Why not just give them a call...??
Old 05-05-2017, 05:34 AM
Josh_K

Originally Posted by Nige321
I conversed with Mike this week.
Wren are in fine health with a good order and service book.
A new management team is in place for the business, leaving Mike busy doing what he does best, working with current and new products.
Why not just give them a call...??

Well. In the beginning, I didn't realize that I would be pooking a hornets nest. A phone call would have been simpler. And I wanted some current customer feed back on there current condition.

Any way way since I posted I have found a 44 gold that was close to nib and I have purchased it. I am going to put it in a early Byron mig 15 that is still nib.

✌️
Old 05-05-2017, 05:41 AM
Old NEET

I understand "RC Universe" is international forum but as an American hobbyist, I would like to know how they are going to do in the states.
The turbines are costing nearly a good motorcycle and demand periodical service and maintenance as we all know.
I would like to comment local (at least domestic country boundary) contact point is a key to choose the product.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:53 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sold all my Wrens.

Wren UK haven't been on these forums since Sara left so there wouldn't be much traffic in a Wren UK forum.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Nige321

Originally Posted by siclick33
there wouldn't be much traffic in a Wren UK forum.
Really? What about all the happy customers out there currently flying Wren turbines??
Old 05-07-2017, 11:04 AM
siclick33

Sorry, my post was a little ambiguous.

This section of RCU was originally for Manufacturer Direct Support.

Aside from Sara, Wren UK have never been very active on the forums (indicated by the fact that this is the Wren USA section and there is no Wren UK section) . You would certainly get help from like minded Wren owners and experienced jet operators but you could also use the main forum for this.

I should have said that there would not be much traffic from Wren themselves.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Nige321

Bar one or two here, Wren have a lot of support. They are doing well now, and long may it last...
Old 05-07-2017, 09:38 PM
NZjet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nige321
Bar one or two here, Wren have a lot of support. They are doing well now, and long may it last...
No support from me as a 160 customer. I hope they go broke again.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:22 AM
Nige321

Originally Posted by NZjet
I hope they go broke again.
See. Nice...
Old 05-16-2017, 04:05 PM
stegl

Default Wren

couple of months ago I picked up a refurbished Wren 44 TP to 2017 specs for a descent price from Wren UK . Happy with the service.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:14 PM
I-NAV
My Feedback: (3)

Default Wren Service

I sent my Supersport in for a routine bearing change last winter. For some unexplained reason Wren elected to only changed the front bearing claiming the rear was fine even though it had 50 plus hours on it. Wanted $150 to disassemble the engine and replace it. On flight five, a screw fell out of the front case inside the FOD screen and trashed the compressor. I sent it back to England (another $70) and they "fixed it". The engine now sputters and stalls if you set the accell/deceleration delays below 40 (terrible lag) and fuel consumption is very high. The engine sputters and sounds "wet" at idle and throttle up. I suspect the oil restrictor to the bearings was left off. Anyone know how to check?

Not it a great experience.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:08 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

The purpose of this group of forums is to provide support to a particular family of turbines.

As Ron formally of Wren Turbines USA no longer supports this sub forum and Wren Turbines USA has closed it seems appropriate to lock this forum.

Wren are still in business and their new web site is Home
Old 07-22-2017, 06:09 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

The purpose of this group of forums is to provide support to a particular family of turbines.

As Ron formally of Wren Turbines USA no longer supports this sub forum and Wren Turbines USA has closed it seems appropriate to lock this forum.

Wren are still in business and their new web site is Home