Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

Wren 44 Heli V 50i heli engine diferences

Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Wren 44 Heli V 50i heli engine diferences

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:19 PM
cmilner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wren 44 Heli V 50i heli engine diferences

I have owned a Wren 44 heli engine for a number of years now. It has operated perfectly. I purchased a Wren 50i engine just before they went into liquidation recently. It is not a happy engine - neither am I.

Does any one know what the differences are between the 2 engines?

My reason for asking is that my 50i is very prone to 'compressor stall?' accelerating at the lower end (1/3) of the RPM range (as you would expect). Evidenced by blue flame exiting the exhaust with a loud roaring sound - Ng decreases. Acceleration delay is now 80. The engine operates perfectly once it is above ~1/2 power.

By chance today I discovered that the problem wouldn't occur if I flew my MD500 without the front canopy fitted. Lots of cool air to the engine. If I fit the canopy - problems. I have operated this body for years with the wren 44 without issue. All of the side door windows are open, and the exhausts exit the fuselage through short extensions. Could the 'compressor stalling?' be caused by warm(er) air from the engine entering the engine inlet??

I would appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Craig
in warm Adelaide SA
Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 AM
Nige321

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Email Paul at Turbine Solutions...
[email protected]

He's taken over the Wren assets...
Old 06-17-2019, 05:07 AM
pimpmycnc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As bad as it sounds but you have to raise the delay. The wrens often shoot blue flames and if they do, you only can raise delay. There won't be flames no more. Don't ask me why, even Mike Murphy couldn't help then.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:05 AM
mlmflip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmilner
I have owned a Wren 44 heli engine for a number of years now. It has operated perfectly. I purchased a Wren 50i engine just before they went into liquidation recently. It is not a happy engine - neither am I.

Does any one know what the differences are between the 2 engines?

My reason for asking is that my 50i is very prone to 'compressor stall?' accelerating at the lower end (1/3) of the RPM range (as you would expect). Evidenced by blue flame exiting the exhaust with a loud roaring sound - Ng decreases. Acceleration delay is now 80. The engine operates perfectly once it is above ~1/2 power.

By chance today I discovered that the problem wouldn't occur if I flew my MD500 without the front canopy fitted. Lots of cool air to the engine. If I fit the canopy - problems. I have operated this body for years with the wren 44 without issue. All of the side door windows are open, and the exhausts exit the fuselage through short extensions. Could the 'compressor stalling?' be caused by warm(er) air from the engine entering the engine inlet??

I would appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Craig
in warm Adelaide SA
Hi, Craig. I just ran across your post after researching a similar issue on the new Wren 50i Heli I purchased about the same time you did. I talked with Paul Hardman at Turbine Solutions several times (including today), and based on his recommendation I plan to send my engine back to him for a combustion chamber replacement (replace the current "6 stick" chamber with an improved "8 stick" version, per his recommendation). Paul indicated he had done a similar modification to your engine. If this is accurate, have you received your modified engine and is it working properly now? Thank you in advance for any feedback!