Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

Recommended Oil Types

Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Recommended Oil Types

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Oil Types

Ron, I received my new 160 today and it is a beautifully designed and assembled engine!

In reading the manual it recommends 3 different turbine oils. I have read several posts here on RCU that some are using Castrol TT oil.

What other oils are recommended if any other than the three listed in the manual?

Jeff
Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: Recommended Oil Types

Jeff,
Great question for this forum!!

Personally, I have switched to Mobile DTE Lite. From what I have read and heard, it is much less harmful to the body. The motors I have run using this oil have remained smooth, with no deviation in performance or temps. And the price is much less than the 2380.

For warranty reasons.... I'll let Sara chime in here as to Wrens' position on oil selections.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 AM
WrenTurbines

Ron's got it right - we are happy with any turbine oil, or Mobil DTE light, or if those are unobtainable you can use high-quality two-stroke motorbike oil.

Whilst I'm on the subject, can I also confirm that it's fine to use out-of-date turbine oil. It does have a fairly short shelf-life and the out-of-date stuff can often be obtained from people in the aero industry at a very good price. For full-size aviation it is necessary to observe the sell-by dates because no risks must ever be taken when planes are full of people. We have no such conditions, the oil is used in a different way anyway (total loss rather than recirculated) and so if you can get hold of out-of-date stuff, it's fine.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

Thank you both for your responses.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

I have been using Mobil DTE light in my (2) Wren 160's since new earlier this year, as well as in my (2) SS's. Actually, I run DTE in all my turbines including Rhino, Titan, and AMT NL Pegasus. Most all have at least 15-20 hours on them and no problems. I did pop the outer can off one of my Wren 160's when I changed the tailcone to the newer version. The combustors look like new. Bearings seem smooth as new.

I run them all at 5%1 qt to 5 gallons, just like I did with Aeroshell.*
Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm near the bottom of my first 5 gallon pail of DTE Light used at 3% in my SS and Eagle. No problem.