Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

Wren 54 Mk2 idle problem

Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Wren 54 Mk2 idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wren 54 Mk2 idle problem

My wren wont idle now below 51K and on two flights when I landed it was 60K.

At start up is will sit 45-48K then after a full power back to idle run, it will start to creep up anything from 51-58K.

I have discovered if you look sideways at the hausl fuel pump it will effect the running, and from stories before I have been careful with the mounting to not secure it anyway that might miss-align the motor to gearbox.

I am assuming the problem is the pump, so have it stripped out, opened the gearbox for a look see and have reset the front screws and now have it running on a Bench PSU at 0.5v drawing 380ma pumping fuel around a jar. I will leave it like that for the rest of the day and then try it again.

Anyone have a similar problem or found a different cure.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 AM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Wren 54 Mk2 idle problem

Fuel Pump Problem! order a new flightworks pump use your old hausl for a smoke pump. I had the same problem with three pumps before i recived one that worked. This included one new flightworks pump,it was defective also.[:-]
Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Xairflyer

I have had my hausl pump running all day on the bench at 0.5v current has dropped from 380ma to 310ma which is a good sign and will hopefully sort it out for now.

I agree the flightworks pump is much better in this respect, first of all it has a proper means of mounting which is good and today I flew my super reliable JetJoe 1400 powered bobcat (which makes me laugh but it is !) which uses a flightworks 200 pump, and I done some tests on the pump with the turbine at idle.

On the hausl if you touch the pump at all when running the rpm goes up or down and it actually shut the turbine down on me at one stage, when I was moving it about. The flightworks however never missed a beat, I was able to push pull and bang it and it made no difference I actually had to put pressure on the gearbox and motor case separately as if to bend it before I could get it to do anything.

I will refit the hausl and see if my adjustment and running has helped, might keep me going for now, if not I will fit the flghtworks to verify my high idle problem is the pump and even if it is'nt I think I will be changing it anyway !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84757.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1402311  
Old 04-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Xairflyer

Update on the pump/idle issue, Ran the pump just cycling fuel for about 10hrs, did seem to help the smooth running of the pump but made no difference to the idle problem.
So I completly submersed the pump into a glass of water (model car racers trick to bed in brushes) and ran it at about 2v for about 15mins, turned water turned black.
After I dried it and blew it out, I then ran some fuel from one jar into another to remove any trace of water and then re-installed it in the model, after a few cycles for the ECU to learn the settings the idle problem was cured for now anyway.

Brushes are probably won out and had probably came pitted over time.
Going to get a new pump anyway and will see if I can rebuild this one with a new motor for a spare.