Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

First runs on 160

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First runs on 160

I ran my new 160 on the bench today for the first time since purchasd last fall.

Startups were good and easy. This thing is powerful!

Throttling was interesting. The engine seems a little sluggish from idle till about 70000 and then it katy bar the door! I noticed if I ran it up to full throttle from idle really fast, there would be a small amoun of white vapor immediately after the engine started to accellerate and seemed to bog slightly before really picking up steam around 70k.

I am using a PST air trap that seems to work great. I had one instance when the tank was getting near or was empty but the air trap was still full when I accellerated from idle the engine started emitting blue flame and then died out. I am unsure if this is running out of fuel or not, but the air trap was still full.

The idle would drop to about 26000 before returning to between 27600 and 28000.

Any ideas on the white vapor and the blue flame?

Jeff
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First runs on 160

Since you bought it last fall, I assume its a FADEC ECU.. Post your ECU settings here for Ron to see. Accel, decel, stability, idle. A small tweak may be desired. Once you get it, its very sweet. Very good thrust to weight..

ORIGINAL: nxtdoor

I ran my new 160 on the bench today for the first time since purchasd last fall.

Startups were good and easy. This thing is powerful!

Throttling was interesting. The engine seems a little sluggish from idle till about 70000 and then it katy bar the door! I noticed if I ran it up to full throttle from idle really fast, there would be a small amoun of white vapor immediately after the engine started to accellerate and seemed to bog slightly before really picking up steam around 70k.

I am using a PST air trap that seems to work great. I had one instance when the tank was getting near or was empty but the air trap was still full when I accellerated from idle the engine started emitting blue flame and then died out. I am unsure if this is running out of fuel or not, but the air trap was still full.

The idle would drop to about 26000 before returning to between 27600 and 28000.

Any ideas on the white vapor and the blue flame?

Jeff
Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Jeff,

First make sure the battery is fully charged. The white vapor you see is probably the burning off of the loctite we use on the tailcone fasteners. The motor is assembled and ran with a test cone, and the new cone is installed after running and before shipping!

We now send all 160 motors out with the idle set at 32,000rpm. In an aircraft of the size used on the big motors...residual thrust is not an issue, and the acceleration picks up a lot quicker. You can do this with the hand held data terminal. Just increase the idle to 32K. As far as the blue flame is concerned, increase your acceleration number by 2 or 3 and see if it goes away. Remember, increasing the value slows down the speed.
Call me if you have any questions @ 260-701-8936

Cheers
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 AM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

Re-ran the engine again and changed the idle setting to 32k as suggested; runs great.

I determined the blue flame had to have been from running it out of fuel. No re-occurence of that issue in three starts and runs.

I have to say all my friends whom have other brands of turbines say they have never seen a turbine start so quickly and easily as the Wren. I mean, as soon as it says as glow test is complete, the engine is started.

Very confidence inspiring.

Jeff.