YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS FZ110-S Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:23 AM
BigShot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS FZ110-S Problems

I am hoping someone here can help...
I recently purchased a secondhand FZ110-S, only 2 flights old. I was supplied a couple of litres of 20/20 fuel for it.
The problem came initial start, would not run, flooded, only idled if the glow driver was left on. After reading an article here, I reset everything to: Regulator one turn below flush, idle screw 3 turns out, main mixture 1 1/2 turns out. Better, but still would not run unless the glow driver was on. At half throttle (raising it slowly) the engine would stop dead, almost like a hydraulic lock. Applying the starter however and it started again first kick.
So I purchased some fresh fuel, now it starts first go, idles and runs without the glow driver on, but here is the problem, still stops dead at half throttle, and I am not sure where to go from here.
I am not a newbie with model engines, been using them for over 20 years, but this is my first YS.
Any ideas what the problem may be, or is it just a matter of fine tuning.
Thanking you in advance.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 AM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS FZ110-S Problems

Sounds like the regulator is too lean. Try backing the regulator screw out a 1/4 turn at a time and see if the problem goes away. Another thing it could be is a leak somewhere in the fuel system. If you don't have enough pressure in the tank, it can do what you are experiencing.

Those are the two places I would look first.

Blessings, Terry
Old 11-24-2010, 09:53 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

The place to start with the regulator is flush. If it's been sitting for a while, it's possible it needs a new diaphragm.
When the regulator gets more than a turn from flush to run, it's time for a new diaphragm/plunger.
The tank should hold pressure. Start with the LS needle about 3 turns out from closed.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:52 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things, start with the regulator screw flush and make sure you have a fresh OS F or YS 4 glow plug in it and then start your tuning again.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
BigShot

Thanks, I will try these tonight and let you know if it works.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:44 AM
BigShot

Well, went through the motions again, reset everything, esuered it was holding pressure, ended up pulling the regulator down. Found nothing wrong.

Started up and it runs like a charm, tank is pressurizing now. Holds pressure for 4 days. (Must have been some crap in the regulator)

This thing rocks, at half throttle it blew my toolbox off the bench, can't wait till tomorrow to fly it.

Will let you know how it goes.

Bigshot.