Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Proper Service After 5yr Storage

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
ncbitrainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Service After 5yr Storage

I have two YS enginesa FZ-120 and FZ-140. They have been sitting in aircraft for five years and haven't been run. The 120 prior to that was flown
regularly perhaps a 1-2 of hours of total run time. The 140 is brand new and was bench run a couple of times but nothing more. I am getting back into flying
(at long last!) but I am reluctant to just start using and flying with these engines. I did not use after run oil but I did run the fuel out after last run. Any help about
what needs to be done to make they engines ready to run would be appreciated. Thanks! Chuck
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Proper Service After 5yr Storage

If you weren't 5 hours away I'd tell you to bring them over.

The big things are make sure there is no gelled or dried fuel clogging or making the regulator stick and also that the valves aren't sticking. I'd flush the whole thing out with raw fuel before trying to run it and also make sure the fuel is flowing properly.

If you are apprehensive you can always send them to Richard at YS and he'll give them a good going over. If the bearings feel anything but smooth change them, better to put money into new bearings than into bearings and other parts if they fail.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:10 PM
ncbitrainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Proper Service After 5yr Storage

Thanks so much for the information. I am reluctant to take engines apart myself so will more than likely send them off to YS service to get them checked out. Thanks again for the advise. Chuck