Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS CDI RF interference

Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
jkruger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS CDI RF interference

Has anyone had an RF interference problem with YS CDI engines when using 72MHZ equipment?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:07 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YS CDI RF interference

I personally have not heard of that, but everyone I know running the CDI is on 2.4ghz.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 AM
robert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using Cdi on my model with a futaba 149 rx on 35Mhz. I have a seperate ignition battery and regulator just to keep it as isolated as possible, and spaced the ignition module some 12 inches away from the receiver, never had any problems.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkruger

Has anyone had an RF interference problem with YS CDI engines when using 72MHZ equipment?
I know of at least one crash on 72 on the first flight with the CDI plugged in directly to the receiver.
I would not fly with a CDI on 72 or or 50/53 or 35 or any HF frequency.
I used the CDI as an excuse to change to 2.4g from decades of trouble free flying on 53.
I plugged the CDI directly into the reciever with a suicide extension....it is a standard servo extension.
When at the field or when I know I am going to run the engine, it is plugged in at the CDI.
In the shop or with the receiver on at any other time.....the extension is unplugged.
No second switch, no extra batteries, no second regulator.
One thing though.....the receiver battery should have more capacity than usual because the CDI pulls a fair amount of current.
The higher the rpm, the higher the current....
I am using the Futaba 6008HS receiver with a 9zap transmitter and matching tx module.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm still running 36Mhz (Futaba, PCM2048 G3) and can't say I've ever experienced a "hold" let alone a failsafe lockout.

However, if after passing the ground checks the plug cap decided to make a poor contact with the plug or the braid broke away from inside the cdi unit then I'd bet money any of the 72/35/36 Mhz systems wouldn't be happy.

I use the same li-po battery for the RX regulator and the CDI regulator, and ground checks (and now many many flights) have proven it to be ok but like they say, your mileage may vary. I've got a Castle Creations 85HV that's next to unusable on 36Mhz but many others have no problems with them????