YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

to vibrate or not to vibrate...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to vibrate or not to vibrate...

I had a Zen 120 pattern bird that ended its life abruptly recently thus freeing up my prized YS F120...

I've decided to transplant the motor, etc to a .60 sized Hangar 9 P-47 ARF... the ARF comes with an aluminum(ish) motor mount (solid). The Zen had a composite motor mount with a weird rubberized shock absorbing rails that the motor is bolted to and then the hard rubber rails bolt into the composite bracketetry...

The ARF instructions call for the motor hub to be 5 1/4" from the firewall... If i use the metal mount that came with the ARF I can do that but the cool anti-vibration mount would put the hub at 5 3/4" (1/2 inch too far out)...

what do you think... anti-vibration mount or hard mount
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: to vibrate or not to vibrate...

You have to decide what's best for you. The mounts that allow the engine to shake eat some overall power. They do help you save some servo wear and battery juice.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: to vibrate or not to vibrate...

Your decision will depend on what you feel is important but remember not all soft mounts are equal.

Pattern guys run anti-vibration mounts for a number of reasons:
1) Vibration beats on the airframe. I have had glue joints in ARFs come loose on a hard mounted YS build.
2) Vibration wears servos gear train and pots.
3) Servos trying to hold position while being vibrated uses more power from the RX pack.