Search
Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS50ST Head gasket dramas. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 AM
oscbassi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS50ST Head gasket dramas. need help!

My engine has destroyed the head gasket for the second time and I'm totally stumped about what to do next. it's running an OS8 plug with a 30% nitromethane fuel mix on my trex600. please see attached pictures. it's not a happy engine anymore. it did run well when new. and I have been running every few months to keep it going. but just recently this has come up. anyone experienced this before? or know what to do? any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10586.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1893157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55602.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1893158  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 AM
oscbassi

Default RE: YS50ST Head gasket dramas. need help!

Has nobody on the RC 'universe' site ever come across this before?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 AM
racerbob

I had the identical set-up YS50 in a TRex600 do the same thing. I openned up the engine and the piston wall has scapes on it too. I talked to Richard Verano (His phone number is on your manual) the YS support/racer/pattern guru who expained this is the result of a lean run and over temp. I just ordered parts to rebuilt the engine(piston,sleeve, ring, head gasket, and rear bearing). I'm going to run my newly rebuilt engine on the rich side from now on. I've seen info about the manual standard needle settings being too lean. Did you ever solve your problem?