YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

fuel dripping from carb on 120fz

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
speedaholic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fuel dripping from carb on 120fz

I have a ys 120fz that i have had for years with no issues till a couple months ago it broke a rod in flight and i damaged the plane but anyways i ordered new parts, piston, ring, rod, valves i put it on my new plane and have the regulator flush. when running there is alot of air bubbles in the line from regulator to carb, i replaced the line with no effect. also fuel drips out the carb while running and after i shut it off. I have taken the regulator apart a couple of times, replaced the plunger but central is out of stock on the diaphram. my old diaphram looks ok so not sure what the problem is. if i screw the regulator in it goes lean and wont run. any help appriciated. here is a video that shows air bubbles and fuel dripping. http://youtu.be/YJcFXfvb1HM
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM
speedaholic

Help please!!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM
speedaholic

Found the problem. Regulator housing on backwards. Fits both ways. Running better.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks huge rich to me.
Try replacing the plug with a new OS-F.
I had something similar last week when the 140 Sport was acting very rich, fuel dripping, would not run without the glow driver attached.....but the mixture was not rich.
I replaced the plug and it ran perfect.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by speedaholic
Found the problem. Regulator housing on backwards. Fits both ways. Running better.
Great....our last posts were at the same time.
Glad you found it!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:16 AM
speedaholic

Yea thanks. It is running better. My only concern is the hs needle is only 1 turn out and the regulator is about 2 turns in from flush. It is running good just thinking maybe regulator letting too much fuel in. I still get lots of air bubbles in the line after regulator is that normal?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by speedaholic
Yea thanks. It is running better. My only concern is the hs needle is only 1 turn out and the regulator is about 2 turns in from flush. It is running good just thinking maybe regulator letting too much fuel in. I still get lots of air bubbles in the line after regulator is that normal?
The position of the n/v and regulator dont make sense....both of them are in an extreme lean position.
Usually the regulator will be too rich and the n/v is too lean which is then adjusted for best high speed....but then the idle and transition will be too rich.
In addition, the excess air bubbles in the fuel line may contribute to the lean condition.

Typically, the regulator screw should be a half a turn in from flush....in is lean, out is rich.

I think I would take apart the regulator and ensure that the spring is positioned properly over the rubber plunger valve. The large end of the spring should be under the brass screw.
This spring can be off to one side and jamming the plunger which will make the mixture weird. The air in the fuel line would be an indication of this....or perhaps trash in the plunger seal area.
Check the cam timing too....at TDC the dot on the cam should be vertical.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:05 PM
speedaholic

Yea, I have taken the regulator apart, maybe a weak spring. Need to get a new spring and diaphragm. As far as timing I never took out the crank or cams so they should be same as before. Thanks for the tips.