YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

110 fz sudden stop and compression on every stroke

Old 08-29-2017, 05:29 PM
wood
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110 fz sudden stop and compression on every stroke

Hi all,

I just put a couple flights on running really good and smokey and had a sudden failure of some sort while in the air. Sounded like a glow plug popped out. I landed it perfectly.

So I checked glow plug and it is in there and looks like it is OK. I flipped it over and it seems like it has compression on every revolution. I did not spin it to start it up, but I did spin it fast without power to glow plug and it sounds very different.

Where do I start trouble shooting this one? I'm thinking of pulling the valve cover off and checking to see if I broke a rocker or something.

Thanks,
Wood
Old 08-29-2017, 06:02 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like a push rod slipped out of place or something similar. Valve train related in any case.

Ken
Old 08-30-2017, 06:07 AM
wood
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken rocker arm bolt

So the rocker arm screw broke off and part of it is stuck in the head. It is a small screw, is there any way to get this out? Does this screw have RED thread locker on it from the factory?

What are my options here?

Thanks,
Darin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170829_225834 (1).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2229862  
Old 08-30-2017, 12:50 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Get a very small easy out.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use a Dremel with a thin cut off wheel and make a slot across the screw. Then a small screwdriver should back it out.Some heat just before removal should soften any locking compound. Don't be afraid to get it good and hot. I would probably use a heat gun and not a torch to avoid damage to the valve springs. Safest would be to remove the head and disassemble the valves from the head then have at the screw .

Ken

PS. With the head removed heat could be applied from the piston side without fear of overheating the valve springs.