YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS .91 from E-Bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 02:57 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS .91 from E-Bay

I got a .91 off e-bay that was supposedly NIB. There are screw marks in the mounting lugs, black deposits on the exhaust valve, the check valve was missing, and the box had a note saying that the engine had been mounted, but not even fueled. As an added bonus, the shmuck said he *preserved* it with Klotz oil.

My question is, will Klotz damage the diaphragm? I am considering keeping it anyway since I don't know what kind of hassle it will be to get my money back. I removed the regulator and inspected it. The diaphragm was opaque white and pretty stiff. The plunger had some kind of build up that looked like grains of salt stuck to it.

What do you suggest?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YS .91 from E-Bay

The Klotz won't hurt it, but I would suggest replacing all the o-rings, gaskets, diaphragm and while you have it apart, take a look at the back of the crankshaft. If the back of the crank is rusty, it's a sure bet that the rear bearing is rusty too. If you discover rust inside the rocker arm cover when you change the valve cover gasket, I'd strip the engine completely and clean all the rust out, replace the bearings and whatever else looks bad.

Buying engines on Ebay is risky, unless they are guaranteed new in box. I have seen some guys spend more than the cost of a new engine by the time they repaired a fine piece from an online auction. Maybe you got lucky.

LET THE BUYER BEWARE!
Old 10-30-2005, 03:48 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was afraid of that. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck!