YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Problematic 110FZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Rumple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problematic 110FZ

Dave:
My 110 has been problematic since new (started running it in the spring of '05). I hope you can help me figure out the problem. First off, here is my setup:
OS #F and YS plugs (tried both over time)
APC 16x6
Coopers 30% nitro Plus fuel and Powermaster 30% heli fuel (both over time)
Recently replaced original large-head plunger with 91FZ plunger, and replaced diaphragm.
Dubro tank, holds pressure fine. Profile plane with exposed tank, so no fuel T's, just 2 lines to the tank. Valve clearances set recently.

The high speed needle seems to work fine, high end is easily adjusted. But the regulator and low end screws seem to have little effect on performance. Often the motor quits when at idle. A fellow flyer, who I would consider a YS expert, thinks that its starving at idle. He has tinkered with the settings on many occasions. Right now, we have the regulator set very rich compared to normal settings (its screwed pretty far out), and the low end is almost bottomed out rich, and still is seems to starve. At mid throttle, I don't see nearly as much smoke as another friend who runs the same plane, prop, fuel, and plug on his 110. Mine pings sometimes in flight, as if I'm running too much prop – perhaps this is more evidence of a lean condition? This motor should be tearing up a 16x6. Is this a manifestation of the dreaded "regulator problem" I've read about? What suggestions do you have for me?

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 11-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problematic 110FZ

The only real way to fix it is to send it in. The service dept knows how to make it right. The address is on the instructions that came with the engine.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Rumple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its on the way to Gardnerville. Thanks Dave.

Kurt
Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll get it fixed.