Question for Dave

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 03:46 AM
hkcarlton
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Dave

I have come a cross a used 120 NC.

What is the difference between the FZ and NC?

Here are a couple of quotes from the ad for the used motor are these items something to be concerned about and would this be a good buy at $250 cash?

First off, when I tried to run it a few years ago I guess I just didn't know how to adjust it. I tried turning the pump screw one way and then the other, so hopefully you know how to adjust it, because I think its out of adjustment now. Anyway I had it mounted upside-down and it would get rich at idle. Ran well at full power. So I guess if you know more about adjusting these than me, you could probably get it to run perfect in a matter of minutes. This engine has NEVER been crashed.

Anyway, as far as cosmetically, there is a little tiny dent/vibration mark (im not sure which) in the intake tube. I think this is were my check valve vibrated against the intake tube. Hardly noticable in pictures. also the ehaust hold down nut has one of the flats rounded off, so you can only use two of the three flats on the nut (oopps) I suggest just loosening it up to rotate it, but its really hard to take off and put back on.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for Dave

One reason I don't recommend used engines is you really don't have a clue as to their history.
The regulator adjustment DOES NOT control the idle. Like all other YS engines it is used to adjust the transition from low to high.
The NC had a fixed airbleed for the idle. Some needed to have this drilled out to get the idle lean enough. Other worked fine as supplied. Obviously this one has the rich idle problem and needs to be fixed.
If you elect to buy the engine and then have it serviced, it could need $100 plus to get it back up to good working order. Or, you could get lucky and it just needs some TLC. No way for me to know without seeing it.

Hope this helps,
Dave