Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YS 53 FZ feedback needed

Please,
    i made a search on the Internet about this old YS 53 FZ and didn't find many info.
    It's the model that was discontinued and replaced by the YS 63 FZ.
    To be more specific i want to know about it's performance and if anyone of you ever had any problem with it.
    Kostas

**Check my gallery for more pictures**
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=222042
    Club Saito member #706

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: YS 53 FZ feedback needed

YS 53 engines were very troublesome and part of the reason they are no longer made.

Don't buy a used one unless you have seen it run.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Perhaps my YS 53 is the exception which proves the rule! It was my first YS and I have to admit it was a little hard to set up until I replaced the original throttle barrel with a replacement with a low speed needle.

Since then it has always been very reliable. I run a 12X6 Graupner on 30% heli. fuel and other than replacing the bearings once I have had no problems. I take it to the field when I want a relaxing day of flying with no fiddling!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are indeed fortunate, Mike E.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

Are those throttle barrel conversions to give the 53FZ a low speed needle still available? Is that conversion fairly straightforward, ie not necessary to send the engine in?

Thanks,
    RB8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave is no longer involved in YS stuff.

Its been almost a full year, but you can contact Richard Verano Dave's Partner in the business. Richard now is the full YS Performance/ Parts and Service Business

Contact Richard

www.yspartsandservice.com

Troy Newman
    Team YS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks so much, Troy, will send Richard a note ...
    RB8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Say Troy,

I took a good look at my engine, and it certainly looks like it has a low speed needle - see photos. Did some YS 53FZ's come from the factory with low speed needles already installed? Perhaps the gas porting was also machined into the piston? This engine was purchased from Central Hobbies in August of 2000.

Thanks,
    RB8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om31925.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	831598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47344.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	831599  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think many if any 53's came from the factory this way....but it could have been changed out by YS Performance before they shipped them to Central Hobbies. Not sure.

But yes that is the air bleed screw.

It works backward from a needle valve. It controls air not fuel. So open it (CCW) to lean the mixture and IN (CW) to richen the mixture. This air bleed adjustment only works down at the 2000rpm idle point. Above 2000-2200rpm the regulator is doing more of the work than this air bleed is.

I had a 53 that I retrofit to the air bleed adjustment barrel. They work the same. The air bleed allows you to fine tune it a little better. It also adds additional adjustments for the guy that doesn't know what he is doing to twist on. Soooooooo used properly its a good thing.

The 53 is a great little more but the 63 had more punch for the same size and weight.

Troy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for clarifying that it's an air-bleed, Troy. I read through the operating manual that came with the engine, and it mentions the low speed needle as well. The manual is specific to the 53FZ, so perhaps it is a factory update after all. Same tuning as with the bigger YS's, richen it if the idle climbs, lean it out if the idle falls. Reminds me a little of what I used to tell the kids - read the instruction first!

- RB8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am looking to retrofit an old 53FZ to include the "newer" low speed needle adjustment screw. Looking at parts explosions between the two versions, seems I could retrofit my older 53FZ to include the "newer" low speed needle adjustment screw. Can this be done by replacing the throttle barrel and adding the needle? Do I need anything else?

F5152 Throttle Barrel
    F5186 Low Speed Needle
    F5187 Low Speed Needle O-ring

Now for the longer ranting story ...

The below all happened in a one month period of flying twice a week a YS FZ53 on a SIG something extra:
    1) a split fuel tank - replaced but fuselage is oil soaked
    2) a failed front bearing - replaced/rebuilt
    3) a cracked diaphragm - ordered/replaced
    4) Still constant deadsticks and/or zero throttle transition response coming up from idle

This engine did my SIG something extra in last week. It did not survive the last zero throttle response after idle. Unfortunately, the 53FZ did survive :O() So, I am once again plagued with fixing this ******* into working condition once again if it weren't so powerful, I'd rather sledge hammer it.

No one at my flying field will ever buy a YS with my recent escapades flying a 53FZ; only confirms the "finicky" reputation of these engines. Also seems to be zero existance of a manufacturer's website for them. On second thought, Ithink I'll just try to sell it.

Name:	Xv64910.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	1682481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt62977.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	1682482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd82828.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	1682483  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rscofield

I am looking to retrofit an old 53FZ to include the ''newer'' low speed needle adjustment screw.* Looking at parts explosions between the two versions, seems I could retrofit my older 53FZ to include the ''newer'' low speed needle adjustment screw. Can this be done by replacing the throttle barrel and adding the needle? Do I need anything else?

F5152 Throttle Barrel
    F5186 Low Speed Needle
    F5187 Low Speed Needle O-ring

Now for the longer ranting story ...

The below all happened in a one month period of flying twice a week a YS FZ53 on a SIG something extra:
    1) a split fuel tank - replaced but fuselage is oil soaked
    2) a failed front bearing - replaced/rebuilt
    3) a cracked diaphragm - ordered from you replaced
    4) But, still constant deadsticks and/or zero throttle transition response coming up from idle

This engine did my SIG something extra in last week. It did not survive the last zero throttle response after idle. Unfortunately, the 53FZ did survive :O()

So, I am once again plagued with fixing this ******* into working condition once again if it weren't so powerful, I'd rather sledge hammer it.

No one at my flying field will ever buy a YS with my recent escapades flying a 53FZ; only confirms the ''finicky'' reputation of these engines. Also seems to be zero existance of a manufacturer's website for them.
    I do not know for certain so I will have to ask Richard on Monday but my first reaction is that if it were that easy to swap components YS would have discontinued the old parts and just offered the 63 parts allowing instant upgrade. I'll ask and get a definitive answer.

Sorry to hear about your plane. I hate it when I lose them too.

Let's start with the basics, what plug fuel and prop are you running?

Was the engine ok before the split tank?

The 53 has been out of production for a long time. You say the front bearing failed and was replaced. When was the last time it had the ring and rear bearing replaced? What about regulator rebuild with spring? I ask because these components all affect how the engine functions. On that engine, and any YS without the low speed needle, the regulator controls the idle and transition. Depending on how it reacts, and this where begin there really helps, it is either lean or rich when going from idle to a higher throttle setting. A worn ring can and will cause you all sorts of headaches. The YS is a powerhouse but that power comes at the cost of keeping it in tune and replacing components that are out of spec.

Let's work though this little by little or if you prefer just box it up and send it in for a complete physical. When you get them right the YS is a treat.

Now for the websites:
    http://www.ysengines.net is the site for Richard who is the US agent for YS
    Team YS, Team Airtronics
    Pattern Junkie, Revver Brother #82, Gear Head

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any pics of your 53FZ;
    **Check my gallery for more pictures**
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=222042
    Club Saito member #706

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Added pictures to my post. Its now for sale at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ys+53

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This engine had one season runtime. But here goes...

I always use Powermaster YS 20/20 fuel and always an OS type F plug. I flew it with 11x8 and 11x7 props. To the best of my recollection, the engine was transitioning okay before the split tank (It was a Great Planes fuel tank replaced with a Dubro to take the pressure). Shortly thereafter, the front bearing failed abrupt lock -up on the end-leg of approach. When Irebuilt the engine to replace the front bearing, Icould not remove the rear bearing its steel on steel so how do you do that?It was really tight on there, heating didn't help and it seemed fine.

After replacing the front bearing it ran *great*for about four flights. Happy and thought my troubles were behind me. Then the low-end throttle transition problem started. I believed replacing the that original (black colored)diaphragm may be the problem. So I inspected it, it had become occluded and cracked since rebuilding. So, Iput a new (white colored)one in. This did not fix the low end transition problems. Also, last thing Idid was replace the Type F plug .... It was not the problem.

I'm not sure I want the expense of more parts on this beast. It is up for sale if you think its fixable http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ys+53

Name:	Jh16286.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	1682560  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fixable and worth fixing to you are mutually exclusive. We'll let this thread go back to being dormant.
    Team YS, Team Airtronics
    Pattern Junkie, Revver Brother #82, Gear Head

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm done grieving over the damage to my Somethin' Extra (and I found a wing kit).

I decided to look into the low speed needle valve retrofit. Please note:The part numbers for the last 53 FZ produced (with the low valve)are completely different from the older 53 (what I have). Searching the internet, I found "RCJapan", rcjapan.net, the only ones carrying these parts. Neither ysengines.net or centralhobbies.com have the newer part numbers for the 53FZ (only old part numbers). FYI, I have included the last correspondence from RC Japan below. They seemed helpful. I don't know if this will truly fix the 53FZ, but since I'm an RC addict I can't help myself...

RC Japan info@rcjapan.net to me
    show details Nov 7 (2 days ago)
    Dear Mr. Scofield,
    Thank you for your patience while we research your request.
    In order for you to upgrade your engine, you need the following parts: (5152 is the Throttle Valve for the old engine. If you use F5252 you will need the other 3 parts)

Please make an order on our website and submit it to us for shipping cost.
    These parts are confirmed by YS.

Thank you for using RC Japan.

Regards,
    Wendy Hope
    RC Japan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you ever get the parts to convert your YS-53FZ for low-speed needle addition? If so, did it solve the problem. I also have an older YS-53FZ that I bought about 6 years ago but I have never run it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love how he advertised the engine as a real stump puller and didn't say anything about it not running for crap
    Club Saito member # 689/topflite AT6/KMP B25 /H9 B25 /sterling PT-17/Andrews aeromaster/H9 p-51/BUSA eindecker/SE5A/J3 Cubs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The low speed needle valve helped but did not completely solve the problem of  NO THROTTLE RESPONSE during flight suddenly without warning.   I sold the engine to someone who wants to tinker. 

I have a new ASP .61 four-stroke (same as Magnum similar to O.S.) and it is awesome and reliable!  You can buy a brand new one for $125 shipped from either Hobby King or Hobby Partz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I sold it to someone who wanted to "work on it".

Have both YS 53's and 63's, all fly in duration O/T events.  Vertical drag racing, they have been such good performers (and reliable) that our local SAM chapters in the other states bought special rules to nobble us.  They showed up the McCoys Dubbjest and Nelsons.
    Other than bearings and fiddling with the nitro content (we have operated up to 50%) the engines are operating as per factory specs.
    There are 2 totallt worn out 53's and 1 x 63 sitting on my mates bench.  The hunt continues to find more "good condition" 63's
    Club Saito member 710

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave once had tales of racing with 63's on 70% at 18,000. I assumed he meant pylon racing. A YS 63 4C will match a K&B/Veco 60 2C on the same prop - say 11x7.