Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS60FR running issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:06 AM
GemPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS60FR running issues

I recently acquired an EU1A pattern plane with a YS60FR engine in it. Because of it's extended storage in an East Texas attic (10+ years), the engine needed a thorough cleaning, inside and out to get it turning. Now that the engine is clean and will start, I need some help adjusting it to idle properly as well as run with the throttle valve opened up completely.

First run: Fuel used CP10% running an APC11X10 prop. Once primed, it fired up and ran real smooth after the needle valve was adjusted in (with the carb opened ~half way). If the throttle was opened all the way, the engine appeared to flood itself and rpms dropped to a sputter. Throttling back to 1/2, the engine would lean out and wind back up.
When throttled down to idle, the engine would slow down to a sputter and quit. It would continue to run if glow plug power was attached, but it still struggled to maintain a stable idle range. The check valve appears to be working properly since the tank still has pressure on it when the fuel line is removed to refill the tank after each run.

This engine was fully disassembled to perform the cleaning. In other words, I removed the carb and the lower unit along with the diaphragm tension screw assembly to clean every part of the engine. After reading a number of YS engine threads, this may not have been a smart thing to do without a manual. Just short of sending the engine to a service center, what adjustments can I make to get this engine running properly (fuel type, diaphragm adjustments, carb adjustments...etc)?

Thanks, Jim

Old 01-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YS60FR running issues

Since we no longer have parts for this engine other than the diaphragm (same as the YS 45), you are pretty much on your own as far as parts issues go.

You may be a little light on nitro in the fuel, they ran better on 20%. Most guys used an OS #8 plug. It sounds too rich at the top end. High speed needle should be at about 1.5 turns open. If you are further out than that it is far too rich.

The regulator starting point is top of the adjusting screw flush with the top edge of the casting it sets in. The regulator controls the transition from low to high and has a slight effect on the idle. Clockwise leans the transition. Work in 1/4 turn stages on the reg screw.

Idle mixture is essentially fixed and only controlled with butterfly opening.

Good Luck
Old 01-11-2007, 08:11 PM
GemPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave...

I just finished running the engine with the needle valve opened 1.5 turns (with a couple tweeks +/- after it warmed up) and the diaphragm/regulator screw backed out flush with the casing edge. (I believe I had screwed it all the way in when I reassembled it after cleaning).

What an engine!! With those two adjustments, it idles real steady and slow and revs up to full open throttle with no problem. All this with the CP 10%. Looks like I'm in business. I think I'll go ahead and get a gallon of 20% nitro since that seems to be the concensus on what fuel runs best.

Again, thanks for the info. Time to bore a few new holes in the sky.

Jim
Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. They were a superior engine, I wish I could get YS to make a run of them again.

Good Flying!