YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

.63 Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:28 AM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .63 Question

If the regulator is too lean, would that cause the RPM's not to peak normally? This engine is about 1,000 RPM's shy of my other ones. Or is it time to finally send one in to see if it needs some TLC?

Wildcat 20/20
OS F
MAS 13x6 Scimitar
Old 05-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: .63 Question

If th engine is down on power it could be time for a new ring and such..

Its common for motors of the same generation to be as much as 100-300rpm off of each other. it all depends on how it has been taken care of. Lean run or an abused break in can result in a engine that doesn't come up to steam as well as another one.

1000rpm however I would say there is something that is not working properly or it could be just plain worn out. This could be a result of abuse or it could just be a case of lots and lots of flights.

Now keep in mind the 63S will have more power than the older 63FZ but its not 1000rpm maor like about 300 rpm. difference there.

Normally on my competition engines I start to look at a new ring 250-300 flights. This for most modelers is normal use for for about 2-3 years. Depends on how much you fly. For me when practicing hard it about 4-6months

Troy Newman
Team YS Performance
Old 05-27-2007, 04:51 PM
wessco

Hmmm....maybe I need to check a few things before I send this one in. The first thing I'll check is valve clearance. Maybe my fuel got too hot somewhere along the line, so I'll try it in another one of my .63's.

But.....would an out of tune mid range affect the top end?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The regulator could affect the top end sure....but its not going to affect it 1000rpm. If its that far off its not going to run well from amixture point of view.

Valve clearances same deal...they will affect top end but not 1000rpm...Maybe 200-400rpm tops unless it really realy bad.

While you are at it stick a new plug in it.

try another gallon fo fuel too.

If the engine has lots and lots of time on it....you should really have a look at many things. Running the engine too long with worn parts can cause a failure. Then its too expensive to fix it. Example. Con rod could be worn. Maybe its a bearing issue, maybe you have a bent valve stem. Any of these problems that get continued use will shed metal into the engine. If you don't know what you are looking for its best to send the engine to someone that does.

Example. I had a con rod get a little sloppy on the crank pin. I figured it would be good for another couple weeks while I was waiting for the $30 part. I continued to run the engine even though I had another sitting there in the box. Well the rod failed, it got pushed through the side of the case, destroyed the sleeve, case, crank, of course it needed new bearings now and a new seals all around, the metal shavings damaged the head, and backplate rotor assemble. SO what was a 30min fix for about $30 turned out to be a engine that never flew again. I tossed into the scrap heap for spare parts not there were many. By the way the engine had 4 years of flights on that connecting rod. I have no idea how many flights but it was up there.

Troy
Old 05-28-2007, 09:10 AM
wessco

This is what I've learned so far. The valve clearance was not .003". It was more like .005". I tried another .63 out on the same fuel and plug. It ran wonderfully, so that's not the problem.