YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS Dingo Break In

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Nickolas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS Dingo Break In

Hi Troy,

Do Dingo engines require special treatment during break in, compared to conventional YS engines? Can you please describe briefly the break in process of Dingo engines?

Thanks in advance,

Nikos
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 PM
getterflash

Default RE: YS Dingo Break In

I know you are looking for Troy, but I'm sure he's headed for Muncie for the AMA Nationals that start next Tuesday.

Anyway, I normally run a couple of 4 oz tanks of fuel through mine on the bench to get the main needle set right and to make sure they will idle well. I use the same fuel I fly with (Powermaster 30% DZ blend). The DZ series does not like to run too rich, they will load up and quit. But, compared to the FZ/L series, they burn more fuel and run cooler, so you can get the needle pretty close to optimum with no concern about overheating. I don't go for prolonged bench running, maybe 4 runs with time to cool. I would rather get it the plane and normal flying load the parts for proper break in.

The break-in is more about building confidence in the motor. You could bolt it in the plane and fly right out of the box, but you might have issues you don't anticipate. If it runs well, it will break in just fine in the airplane.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

Mr Dingo is an easy man to deal with ...
I just fit a slightly smaller prop ( 16.5X12), bolt the engine to the plane and fly it as soon i am sure it runs proper to fly safe without dead-stick ...

Kjell Olav
Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Nickolas

OK thanks! I plan to use a 17x12 but for the first few tanks I will be using a 16x12 and very rich. Probably I will do a couple of tanks before I fly it.

Another question do I need a heavy duty starter such as Sullivan Dynatron to rotate it? I use a conventional starter for the rest of my YSs with no problems, but don't know if it will be sufficient for the Dingo.

Please let me know.

Thanks and regards,

Nikos
Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a 140DZ I think a 17-12 is probably too much prop for it. 16.5-12 is good but the 17-12 loads it a bit too much. I really liked the 16-12 and 15.5-12.5W on the 140DZ

This is depending on fuel of course. I run my engines on the plane flying it. I make it run for maybe a tank or 2 on the ground to make sure it reliable then I fly it. Always being aware that it may die in the first 10-15 flights. The worst thing you can do a new engine is get it hot....running it on the ground for long periods of time will do that. Flying it allows air to cool the engine. Just running it on the ground without a cowl or prop blast blowing across the engine is not good enough. If you are going to ground run it...I say only 4-5 mins at a time and let it cool completely between runs.

Troy Newman
Team YS