Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Cool Power for YS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:21 AM
bbagle1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool Power for YS

I just bought a YS 63s and I want to break it in right. i bought a gallon of cool power 25% heli for break in but I seem to remember cool power only contains 17% oil. Will this be enough for break-in and every day use or should I find another fuel? i plan on using 30% heli in it, will the cool power be ok? I know I shouldn't use castor.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cool Power for YS

Go with the 30 Heli Performance. It is Cool Power but is Orange in Color.

They only make this fuel witha Low viscocity oil and it is Orange in color to denote it. CP only produces a 20% Hi Performance Heli and a 30% Hi performance Heli. They don't make a 25%.
If there is a regular 25% heli it likely doesn't have the oil content needed.

If you want to run regular Cool Power get the Pro-Pattern Blend. It has the 20% oil needed in the YS engines.

I would use a 12-9 APC for the first gallon or two. Then after that run the 63S at about 10,500-11,000rpm. What every prop and fuel combo gives you this number that's where you want to be.

The more Nitro you run the Larger prop you can turn and not load it too much. Keep it in the rnage and the engine will be happy. A light load of the 12-8 or 12-9APC will be good for the first couple gallons.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 10-12-2007, 10:44 AM
bbagle1

You are right, I picked up the wrong fuel. It is the 25% aero blend. Would a 13x4w be too much prop for break in? The engine is on a profile and I dont want to use a 8 or 9 pitch because I dont want to overspeed the airplane. i am at sea level.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Troy Newman

I don't know about the 13-4W....

But there is a way to not overspeed to the airframe. Its called the throttle stick. It is a proportional control.

Run the enigne in the higher RPM ranges say 11,000-11,500 This will ensure a lighter load and lets the engine spin up. ....This will put a signifigantly lower load on the engine and try to keep it cool as possible. So no hovering and such for at least the first couple gallons.

The problem with those 3D props is they can get heavy and they are a larger load due to the mass. So try it an see.

The worst thing you can do the engine is get it hot when its new. So a couple gallons through it and you'll be fine.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Excuse me for jumping in here, but I'll offer this link to Morgan Fuel's website.
It gives the lube percentages of their fuels.

http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_blends.htm

Paul
Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Troy Newman

Yes......Paul,

I forgot that Morgan had their list on the site.

Doesn't look like a 25% heli...I didn't think there was one.

I also forgot about the 30Heli LS, this is a low smoke blend. It smokes a little less.

Also I know that they make a 20% heli with the Low viscocity oil. But it is not listed on chart.
The very best stuff I have found is that Low Vis oil. Its awesome in all the YS engines.

Also note the Pro-pattern blends as the 20% oil content fuels. These are the ones to use for YS engines if you choose to not use the Heli 30% or 30-LS or the heli 20 Low viscocity oil.

I choose Cool Power for my engines becasue I feel they give the best power-performance and protection for my engines. I run them a bunch on my competition models and the Cool Power has not ever let me down.

To be fair and open I am a Cool Power Field Rep. That doesn't taint my veiw of the product. There are lots of good products out there. In my modeling career (26yrs) I have run many of them. I started running Cool Power back in 2000 when I was struggling with a local fuel, and the YS 140DZ prototype engines. I was testing about 4 major brands of fuel. The Cool Power was head and shoulders above the others. I could not believe how well it ran and how consitent it was Gallon to gallon, case to case. I ran it for a year or so and started talking with Morgan about the YS engines and their needs. A little testing here and there and we found that the 30% Performance Heli was the absolute best thing I have ever used in a YS.

I do spend time working with Morgan Fuels testing and tweaking new fuel blends. This is how we found out about the Heli 30% with the Low Vis oil. This is fuel that performs awesome in all 4 stroke engines. Saito actually recomends this fuel as well. So when competing engine brands recommend the same fuel it says something about the quality and performance of the product.

This is not to sway anyone away from their choice of fuel. Its a Ford Chevy debate, but if you are having trouble with your local brand as I was...look to the Cool Power 30% Performance Heli for the YS engines. I have never heard of anyone that actually tried it and was not impressed with its performance in the YS Engines.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Team Cool Power
Old 10-14-2007, 09:46 PM
bbagle1

Just an update, i returned the gallon of 25% aero blend and swapped it for 30% heli. I ran the whole gallon through my brand new ys this weekend. The engine and I guess the fuel both performed flawlessly. Transition was instant, power was great on my 4+ pound profile, and the engine was cool enough after hard runs in 80 degree temperatures to hold my hand on it as long as I would like. Very happy so far. Now I just have to figure out how to adjust these vavles. Any tips for me troy?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

I used Powermaster YS 20/20 in my 91fz exclusively until one day my local hobby shop was out of stock. The owner handed me a jug of Cool Power 30% heli fuel and said to try it in my YS. Now that's the only fuel I'll use. Performance is amaizing. The guys at the field can't belive it's "only" a .91.
Paul
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Troy Newman

This is the same experience I had with the Cool power 30% heli....its awesome stuff.

This is why I recommend it.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Team Cool Power
Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM
qldviking

Hi I am waiting now for my first YS engine, shoild be here next week. After reading up on them I realise I am going to have to brew my own fuel. Getting anything here where I live is hopeless at best and costly to boot. you talk about cool power 30% heli, is that blended with a particular oil, and if so what oil? The engine is a YS91FZ, N.I.B and will be fitted to a 55in Ultimate biplane. Any advise will be greatly appreciated
Old 10-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Troy Newman

You being and Aussie...I think you can get the Cool power oil. I'm not positve. I would check with some local talent and find out what they do.

As for a specific Oil Cool power doesn't give out that information its proprietary.

I think you need to contact the "HOBBY MAN"

I think that is the guy that has the local hobby shop most guys use in Oz. I may be wrong and the Hobby man is a Kiwi but I think he is in Oz

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 10-20-2007, 06:09 PM
qldviking

HI tony, thanks for your quick response. I tried to google 'HOBBY MAN' but came up blank, also got on to the shop where I used to get all my gear from, but they've changed hands and when I asked about fuel or oil for a YS engine thier response was "a what?" so much for that idea [:'(] what oil do you recommend? If I cant find it here I have friends over there that can send some over thanks johnno
Old 10-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Troy Newman

I don't mix my own fuel so I can't tell you what oil to use. All I know about it is its slippery...Thats about it for my knowledge regarding the oils we use in model fuels. I'm a mechanical Engineer and don't play too much with chemical stuff. Viscocities and so on are tottaly forien to me as to what will work and what will not. I just don't have a clue.

Like I said Cool Power doesn't tell what oil they use its proprietary.

I guess I'm lucky that we have fuel suppliers in the US. They mix it up for us.

Also this is what I got for The Hobby Man

http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/The-Hobby-Man

I have no idea if he is still in business. or what........

You need to use a 2 stroke style RC fuel that has at least 20% oil content. Recommend not using Castor oil but rather all synthetic.

You may check into a company like Klotz I know that some of the guys that mix their own use Klotz but I don't know which product

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 10-21-2007, 05:30 AM
illusion
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Johnno , saw your post and thought I might be able to help out.
I live in Caboolture/ Bribie Island area so very similar sea level.
I have 4 YS engines a 63-s a 91AC a fz110-s and a 140 sport.
I run all these engines on the following mix with great results.
20-22% coolpower 30% nitro and the remainder Methanol
As far as running in and general starting goes just follow the YS instructions and you will have no problems at all.
I often read these posts and find the guys with the problems either dont read the instructions correctly and or try to use the same fuel mixes as their 2 strokes.
When you purchase a YS you must be willing to pay the extra for the correct fuel.
Oh please remember once you have run in the engine , just set the mixture and leave it alone,dont try to tune it on the ground,as they need to be flown and only adjusted after flight testing.
Dont fiddle..
If you need any help drop me a line glad to help.
Joe..
Old 10-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Troy Newman

This is a difference between Australia and the USA. here in the USA Cool Power Pre-mixes the fuel for us. This is too expensive to ship from the USA....so in Oz they sell the oil and you mix it yourself.

This allows you to guy in OZ to get a similar fuel to what we run in the USA.

So when he says he is running 20-22% cool power he is running the cool power oil package.

Troy
Old 10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
qldviking

thank you again, we do have some premix fuels available, but no info on them other than nitro content, cant even find out what oil or oil content, and at up to $70 gal, I dont think I'll waste my money. I can get methoanol here for about $3 gal, and nitro for about $12, now all I need is the right oil. I have found several synth oils, but not sure what to go for. Is a lighter viscosity oil better? re:- heli oil? I appreciate the help from you guys thank you Johnno
Old 10-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Troy Newman

Look to the local knowledge as to what premix they are using or contact a Klotz dealer...Again I have no knowledge of how to do this...

A heli oil is usually a little more smoke in the in the 4 strokes but I think it works better in them.

I'll say again I have no knowledge or experience with the types of oil in use. All I know is the Cool Power 30% heli is the best stuff to run in my opinion. If you can get this stuff as a pre-mix I would do that.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Team Cool Power
Old 10-22-2007, 04:32 AM
illusion
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Johnno,

The coolpower oil i mentioned and as Troy understands it comes in 1 US gallon or equivelant to our 4ltr container.
It is made by Morgans and is Blue in colour.
It is mixed with Nitro [available in 1ltr bottles] and Methanol which you can purchase in 20ltr containers if you wish.
This is how I buy it.
As I mentioned earlier I use 20-22% coolpower oil and 30% nitro and the remainder Methanol.
Heres the formula for 1ltr of made up fuel ready to go at 20% oil and 30% nitro.
300mltrs of Nitro 200mltrs of coolpower oil 500mltrs of Methanol.
Pretty simple and your YS engines will love it.
If you cant source it locally try sending this club an email.
Mackay & Districts Radio Aeromodellers Inc. Email [email protected]
And they will tell you where to get it.
Dont buy the stuff pre made in the shop as it is way overpriced and not the correct stuff.

I pay $ 20 for Nitro per ltr $ 55 for 4ltrs of coolpower oil and $ 32 for 20 ltrs of methanol
Hope this helps
Joe..
Old 10-22-2007, 05:21 AM
qldviking

thank you both Joe and Troy for your help, very much appreciated. The nearest flyinng field to here is about 40 miles away and is only a small club, but a nice bunch of guys. keep up the good work on here, a great forum site with lots of info and some lighter moments too thanks again Johnno
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Imac Kiwi

Hi Johnno

http://www.tates.com.au/

Tates are the importer for Coolpower
Old 10-23-2007, 12:06 PM
XMANS

Hi Johnno

Get in touch with TATES in Geelong Vic as they have all the cool power oils and will ship Australia wide 0352224201

A better mix than straight blue oil is to use half blue and half red oil, but still only 20% in total
or try the new purple oil which is similar to the half /half mix, Tates can give you all the gaff.

Also try substuting 5% of the methanol with Acetone, thats 5% of methanol not 5% of total mix.

This is then getting close to the 30% heli mix that Troy likes so much.

Team Xman
Old 10-23-2007, 02:33 PM
qldviking

thanx guys, called them yesterday, getting that organised now thnx johnno
Old 03-29-2008, 02:46 PM
flyherlow

Hi Troy...........got a ys110fz...had it on a ucd 60 and running a 16-6 apc with power master 20/20 fuel.......I've have put it on a Seagull Yak 54 w/66 in wing span. After reading so many of you forum questions about fuel and have picked myself up a bottle of CP 30% Heli fuel.

What prop would you suggest I try for YAK 54 w/ 66 in WS with final wt of 9.8 lbs running the CP 30% Heli fuel?

Thanks flyherlow.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Troy Newman

See the answer in the new thread....

By thte way a 15-8 or 16-8 might be the best chocie. A big round cowl will tend like a larger diameter prop....a narrow fuse like the UCD would tend to like a smaller diameter prop...I would have proabbly been running a 15" diameter on the UCD and then gone up to a 16" for the YAK....but hit the rpm ranges I talk about....30% heli is only going to give a couple hundred maybe 300 tops rpm...and this is about one prop size.

Troy Newman
Team YS