YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS63 question / problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:09 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS63 question / problem

I put two flights on my YS63 today and the engine ran perfect for both flights. After starting the engine for the third flight of the day the engine seemed to load up and then quit. I thought right away that the glow plug had went bad but I started it up again and as soon as I took the glow driver off the engine quit. I replaced the plug with an OS type F, hooked the glow driver up and gave the prop a couple flips and it fired up but for the first time ever with this engine it started and was running backwards. I quickly stopped it and then started it again and it started backwards again. Each time it started backwards it sprayed fuel everywhere, after stopping the engine each time quite a bit of fuel ran out of the carb. After the second time of it starting backwards I got out my electric starter and used it to start the engine but it still seemed to be loading up and wouldn't stay running more than a few seconds without the glow driver and it still seemed to be leaking allot of fuel out the carb after it shut off. It seems pretty clear that the fuel leaking out the carb is the cause of the engine loading up and quitting but my questions are:

What would cause the fuel to be leaking out the carb?
Did I hurt something when the engine started backwards?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS63 question / problem

No they can start backwards....

The reason you have a problem is there is some dirt or debris in the regulator. The fuel leaking from the carb is because the regulator is not closing.

YS engines do not suck fuel they are force fed fuel from the pressure in the tank. The regulator does just that regulates the amount of fuel that gets past. If fuel is spitting from the carb like you say and it just ran fine...you got some dirt in the regulator and its sticking open. This is likely under the adjustment screw keeping the little plunger stopper from closing.

Filtering your fuel 2 3 or even 4 times is a good thing and can prevent this problem. I filter in the bottom of my fuel jug, then I filter at the line that connects to the model to fill it and I have a filter in the model as well.

A small little flake of anything can cause this problem.

You need to remove the regulator and flush it out with raw fuel. As I said the dirt is probably under the stopper. to get to this portion remove the regulator adjustment screw making a note where it is referenced from flush with the housing of the regulator. The clean everything with raw fuel nd put it back together. This needs to be done in a dry clean place...a small piece of lint could easily be the culprit.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 05-16-2008, 10:34 PM
rtn9105

Thanks Troy, I'll try taking it apart.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 AM
rtn9105

I removed the regulator adjustment screw, spring, and plunger and then flushed it out onto a clean white towel and was surprised to see several very small black specks come out of the regulator so thanks again for the help.

If the diaphram ever needs replacing, how do I get it out of the regulator?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Troy Newman

The regulator will unbolt from the engine case if you have the 63FZ...and the diaphragm is right there.

If you have the 63S version it is a different process to take the regulator apart.

Replacing the diaphragm is not a cure all for these engines. I have not replaced a diaphragm in about 10years. It is rare that they need to be replaced. Often the answer is a guy cleans out the regulator while replacing the diaphragm and he thinks the new diaphragm solved his problem. As you found the dist and debris was the problem.

You need to filter your fuel better.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM
rtn9105

I have the 63s. I can see the line on the regulator were the two halves should come apart but I can't figure out how they separate.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Troy Newman

Use a flat blade screw driver between the fuel nipples. Use the screw driver NOT on the seam of the regulator...but to spread the fuel nipples apart.

It will pop apart and be careful not to damage the regulator case. Also the diaphragm will be loose as soon as it pops apart.

This is not something to do unless you need to be in there. 9 times out of 10 you don't need to be in there....

Thats why you should filter your fuel better. Think about the sterile field they create at the hospital operating room. Any fuel that goes to the engine must get filtered. You also want to flush the lines before connecting them to the engine....and so on....This will keep the engine and regulator clean and free of problems.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 PM
antiquefer

HI Troy. I have a NP Yak 54 with the ys 63 fz in it. after learning how from you to properly tune it, it runs flawlesly. It turns a MA 13-5 at 10.5. It however does not have the virtical performance I was expecting with a 5lb-4oz plane, so I thought that it was just to much weight for what I wanted it to do. Then I flew the same plane, more weight, with a Saito 72 in with the same prop but in a APC version. It had alot more virtical. I dont think the Saito has more power I know the APC is a better prop, but not that much better. Can I do a compression test? Would it tell me anything. The YS runs like a sewingmachine, could it just be tired and still run that well? I got the engine used and replaced the bent crank, and bearings. The cylender still has the crosshatch honeing marks on the walls, so I thought it must have relativeley low time on it. Or does that mean anything? Are there teltale signs of a tired engine? Thanks for all your help in the past.................antiquefer.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Troy Newman

I would say the Saito 72 and the YS 63 are about equal...

You will be amazed at the APC prop difference.....Also the APC doesn't flex as much and it will turn higher rpms so you can go to a little more prop.

I would say in the end on the same fuel the Saito 72 and the YS 63S are on equal footing.

Another option is what fuel was the Saito running compared to your 63S. The best stuff is the 30% Heli Performance Cool Power fuel.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
antiquefer

The fuel is the same for both, Powermaster 20/20. I dont know where I got the idea that the ys 63 would have more power than the Saito 72. I guess I just wanted to believe it caus I have 3 63s. I will try the APC and see what I get. I have plenty of power with my setup now to do everything I want. It just dont come off the bottom of a knife edge loop like I thought it should. I might get some 30% Heli mix just to give it a try. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:22 PM
rtn9105

I'm still having the same problems with my 63S. So far to date I've removed the regulator adjustment screw, spring, and plunger and flushed the regulator with fresh fuel 3 times. I've Switched to a brand new jug of fuel, put a new filter clunk in the gallon, put all new fuel line everywhere on the plane and from the jug to the pump. I'm filtering the fuel at the clunk in the gallon, after the pump before the tank on the plane, between the tank and engine, and between the engine and the check valve and I'm still getting fuel running out of the carb as soon as the tank is pressurized. Since I've replaced the enitire fuel system and filling system and added extra filters I don't think I could still be getting dirt into the regulator to cause this problem. I really love the power of this engine and loved how it ran last season but so far this year I've worked more on this engine than I've flown the plane.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I should try?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:35 AM
qldviking

Hi I have an older pattern plane I am ressurecting. I had an OS61 hanno in it which totally self destructed, so I now want to run a YS in it, will a YS63fz come close to the hanno in performance? or would I be better of using 1 of my 91fz's?????????? thnx Johnno
Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM
rtn9105

Is it possible that the diaphram spring has gotten weak and the screw needs to be tightened to stop the fuel from leaking past the diaphram?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:04 AM
mjfrederick

will a YS63fz come close to the hanno in performance?
No. Go with a 91 if you can get one, or a 110. And this isn't the same topic as the original thread, you should have started a new thread.

So far to date I've removed the regulator adjustment screw, spring, and plunger and flushed the regulator with fresh fuel 3 times
Removing these parts doesn't get you to the fuel flow side of the diaphragm. Did you open it up as Troy suggested (using a flathead to pry it apart)? If not, there's no way to know what could be caught on the other side of the diaphragm. I have seen tiny blades of grass in the YS regulators and pumps render them completely unable to run. Also the diaphragm could be worn out. If you can't figure it out, or you're uncomfortable trying the repair, you can always send the engine to YS parts and service.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
rtn9105

No I haven't taken the regulator apart because Troy said that I shouldn't go in there and that 9 times out of 10 there's no reason to open it up.
So are you saying now that I should be taking it apart to clean it out?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:53 PM
mjfrederick

With all else having been tried, I would think that that's the last thing to try if you're still having the same problem... I would have already done it if it were my engine. Troy was trying to prevent you from getting in over your head, but if you feel you can handle it, I'd say do it. If fuel is coming from the carb like you say, the only thing that could be is the regulator. Keep in mind, any responses you get in here are not from YS direct support anymore, so I'm just a fellow modeller trying to help out, drawing on my experiences and knowledge of YS engines. Again, if you don't feel comfortable, YS Parts and Service can get it running like clockwork again, all engines are test-run prior to returning to the customer.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 PM
rtn9105

Thanks for the info, I took the regulator apart and flushed it out good. The diaphram is in like new condition and I didn't see anything inside that looked like it was causing a problem but I'll find out in a couple days when I can get to the field.

Again thanks for the input.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 AM
icoman

ORIGINAL: Troy Newman

The reason you have a problem is there is some dirt or debris in the regulator. The fuel leaking from the carb is because the regulator is not closing.

YS engines do not suck fuel they are force fed fuel from the pressure in the tank. The regulator does just that regulates the amount of fuel that gets past. If fuel is spitting from the carb like you say and it just ran fine...you got some dirt in the regulator and its sticking open. This is likely under the adjustment screw keeping the little plunger stopper from closing.

Filtering your fuel 2 3 or even 4 times is a good thing and can prevent this problem. I filter in the bottom of my fuel jug, then I filter at the line that connects to the model to fill it and I have a filter in the model as well.

You need to remove the regulator and flush it out with raw fuel. As I said the dirt is probably under the stopper. to get to this portion remove the regulator adjustment screw making a note where it is referenced from flush with the housing of the regulator. The clean everything with raw fuel nd put it back together. This needs to be done in a dry clean place...a small piece of lint could easily be the culprit.

Troy Newman
Team YS
I had the same problem with my ys53. Hard to start and would run backwards and spit fuel from the carb. So I opened the regulator and as expected found dirt inside. Cleaned it and replaced the diaphragm. This was an engine i bought second hand and no idea how the original owner ran it or maintained it. After assembly engine ran well so i started to adjust low speed needle for transition. It got to a point that it would transition well. Problem is when i keep it at about half throttle for long( 8-10 secs), the rpm would decrease and carb would start spitting fuel again. also i've never owned a brand new ys 4 stroke. What is the initial settings for high speed, low speed needle and regulator screw for the ys53 and 63s?

Thanks

Ico
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 AM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: icoman

ORIGINAL: Troy Newman

Troy Newman
Team YS
I had the same problem with my ys53. Hard to start and would run backwards and spit fuel from the carb. So I opened the regulator and as expected found dirt inside. Cleaned it and replaced the diaphragm. This was an engine i bought second hand and no idea how the original owner ran it or maintained it. After assembly engine ran well so i started to adjust low speed needle for transition. It got to a point that it would transition well. Problem is when i keep it at about half throttle for long( 8-10 secs), the rpm would decrease and carb would start spitting fuel again. also i've never owned a brand new ys 4 stroke. What is the initial settings for high speed, low speed needle and regulator screw for the ys53 and 63s?

Thanks

Ico
It sounds like you have the regulator too rich. Try turning it in a 1/4 turn at a time until it stops spitting fuel. Remember to readjust the high end each time you adjust the regulator.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:59 PM
antiquefer

I have a ys 63fz.  Ran fine but with low power(as compared to my other one). Now it will start and run fine at low throttle and hi for a few minutes then it will just quit. New plug,changed regulator with one known to be ok. Went to factory sugested HI-LO needle and reg settings and started over. I have run these engines for some time and have been able to adust them fine. Tank is being pressureized. Replumbed with new toobing, amd checked tank for leaks.  Cant figure it out.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what plug? what fuel? Have you tried a tank of fuel from another jug?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM
clarence_carlsson

ORIGINAL: antiquefer

I have a ys 63fz. Ran fine but with low power(as compared to my other one). Now it will start and run fine at low throttle and hi for a few minutes then it will just quit. New plug,changed regulator with one known to be ok. Went to factory sugested HI-LO needle and reg settings and started over. I have run these engines for some time and have been able to adust them fine. Tank is being pressureized. Replumbed with new toobing, amd checked tank for leaks. Cant figure it out.
I have an FZ63-S with the same symptoms. I am thinking it could be a problem that the engine runs hot, and stops because of this. I have recently changed fuel, and beleive it is a too low oil content that could cause this. Could it?

antiquefer: Did you find a solution to your problem?

Thanks,
Clarence
Old 08-14-2009, 03:33 PM
JanneL

Hello,

I have YS63 S in a 3kg plane. I have flied with 13*6APC with 20% nitro, but I'm not satisfied to vertical perfomance. Max rpm is about 11300r. It doesn't go vertically high enough, speed finishes too quickly. And I can't hover it, it hovers barely at full throttle, it should pull out from hover. Should I try some other prop, or is this just one "feature" of glow engines? With 13*4W, the plane would fly poorly at level flight, there wouldn't be enough speed. Or is this motor too small for this plane? With an electric motor in this plane, 16*10apc would be good. So it is maybe better than glow engine's small props, there is more torque but still it flies quite fast with that prop.

Janne
Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 AM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

while it'll probably hover a 3kg plane, that seems a little heavy to me.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Nitrodan73
My Feedback: (12)

I too am having problems with my 63 s running pretty good at half or quarter throttle and then when I advance the throttle, it wants to die. If I go from Idle to full throttle, It will go at first but then die. I can't even get the high end set because it won't stay there for long. I just got it back from YS service so it should run great. Shouldn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.