YS 1.10FZ Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default YS 1.10FZ Idle Issues

Hi all,

I have a YS 1.10FZ with about 7 gallons through it now (currently running an APC 16x6 on YS 20/20). It recently stopped idling at anything below about 2800 rpm. I've changed the plug, the HS is set correctly and the regulator appears to be set correctly (holds a fairly steady 4K rpm for a minute or more). When I try to drop the idle down to 2,000 rpm, the engine quickly loads up, slows down, and dies. I've tried leaning the low speed (counter clockwise) but I can open it 4 or 5 turns with no appreciable difference. Its at the point that I am worried about it falling out in flight if I attempt to open it more.

Do I most likely have an air leak or is there something else I should be trying? Also, if the verdict is an air leak, are the gaskets reuseable? That is, if I start opening it up to check gaskets, can I just button it back up if the gasket looks ok or do I need to replace them?

Thanks, Tony
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YS 1.10FZ Idle Issues

It sure sounds like an airleak. If you want to test for it you can put some fuel in an oil can and squirt the fuel around the seam of the air box and see if the idle goes down. If it does you found the leak. As for reusing the gasket, you could but I wouldn't suggest it since they already compressed. If you didn't have a leak at the airbox when you took it apart you might when you reassemble if you reuse the gasket. It would be prudent to put a fresh gasket in there.

Just my thoughts....
Old 06-23-2008, 11:14 AM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't sound like an air leak to me. If it were an air leak, it would be going lean. Sounds like you're going too rich at idle. I'd look to dirt in the regulator. Try taking it apart and washing it with fresh fuel. Inspect the diaphram and plunger and re assemble. Cleanliness is good here. The regulator doesn't like ANY debris at all.
My $.02, YMMV
Paul
Old 06-23-2008, 11:30 AM
dmccormick001

I'd check my regulator setting. Even though your engine is running ok at mid-range (4K), it may be allowing too much fuel flow at lower RPMs. The correct setting, once you get close, can be very fine, because what you're adjusting is the tension on the regulator spring vs. the pressure coming from the crankcase at idle speed. When you get it right, the spring in the regulator holds the valve shut, so that the engine draws fuel like any other at idle, but then when the RPMs increase and fuel demand is higher, the valve opens and allows fuel to flow at the higher rate. If the setting isn't exactly right, the regulator will allow too much fuel to flow and the engine will flood at idle. Try turning the regulator screw in (clockwise) just a tad (if you aren't from the south, that's about 1/8th-1/16th of a turn) and see if it helps. Be patient once you make any adjustment to give the engine time to respond. I like to rack the throttle to full open for a split-second and then back it down to clear any excess fuel and really give the adjustment a chance to have an effect. As your engine has broken in, the correct settings may have changed just a little from where they were initially. Don't forget, once you've leaned the regulator a little, to re-check the high end and adjust as necessary.

Hope it helps.

David
Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 PM
selnekav

Hi Tony
I have the exact problem on my engine the only diffrence its that my engine can hold 2400 for long period but if i will get it lower below 2200 , 2300 it will work steady for ~ 10 sec and then start to load up 1900, 1800.. and then quite i also think that the regulator is little bit rich ( my engine works steady at 4000 as well ) i am going to close the reg for about 1/8 and check if it will imporve.

Shlomo.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem with two of my 1.10's. They have never idled totally smooth but they would idle. My 1.40 and .63 both idle very smooth but my 1.10's spit and sputter a little at idle and have always done that. Now they will idle for 10 or 15 seconds and just die. No noticeable drop or gain in rpm, they just stop.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 110 started doing this recently. Lean low needle all the way out, or turn in regulator 1/2 turns in do not help. Could it be the plunger?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went ahead replaced all gaskets, the plunger, the diaphram and the air chamber rubber seal. Test ran the engine and it still liked to quit after a few seconds of idle.

On second attempt, I removed the cylinder head and cleaned up the two valves. The carbon buildup on the exhaust valve is pretty bad and I suspect it seals the port at all.

Put it back and ran the engine. Surely, it fixed the program as it can idle at 1700 all day!