Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Power difference 1.60-1.70

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 PM
KGSS28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power difference 1.60-1.70

I have a chance to pick up a used 1.60 DZ with only 25 runs on it . The guy wants $500.00 but I think I can get it a little cheaper. I was wondering if there was a major power difference in the two ? I am currently flying a Mintor 1.70 and am considering a YS for next year.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 02:07 AM
XMANS

Default RE: Power difference 1.60-1.70

There is a differance between the two, but not a great deal, so unless you are in masters and need more grunt, then let your wallet decide.
I personally think the 170 can be a bit more user unfriendly during breakin, but after that there is no problem.

But with saying that, there are two ways to upgrade or modify your 160 to about the same as a 170, one of which my son, Adam, used in the Worlds at Argentina,
and the modified 160 was used in preferance to his 170.

If you are going to spend $500 on a s/hand std 160, I will sell you a upgraded 160 for the same price, the upgrade will give you about 450 rpm increase on your setup.

It does not really matter if the engine has only twenty flights from new, or has been rebuilt after 2000 flights, you will get the same performance from both of them.
Adam's modified 160 started out as a very tired engine, I did the mods and was impressed with it performance, so then I replaced the piston, liner, ring, bearins etc,
it is now a very nice engine with possibly better grunt than the 170 down low where you need it.

Will Crossman
YS Service Aust
Old 10-20-2008, 12:30 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Will,

Is the upgrade something that will work for the FZ1.10 as well?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 AM
XMANS

Unfortunatly what I call the upgrade is only applicable to the 160, but the modification that I do to the 160 will also work on the 110,

BUT, it is not in the scope of most, and I would say almost all flyers, as there is work to be done on the engine itself and the

possability of replacing ruined parts for the unwise is too great, and extra care is required when assembling, for these reasons

I will not explain what I do.

I can do the work for others but the work required and testing takes about a day to do, so the hourly rate of labour mounts up,

not to mention postage etc.

And if I did the work for others, there would be no warranties as I have no control over how the modified engine would be used

or abused.

When I first modified the 160 I was expecting it to disintergrate or come to some terrible end, but no it stood up well, but who is to

say that it still won't happen??

I am going to do the same mods to the 170, but as yet havent had a chance, the parts are sitting on my bench just waiting.

Will Crossman