Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 63 S sudden power loss

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 PM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: YS 63 S sudden power loss

Problem is, I changed ALL the O rings. Not saying it wouldn't help you, indeed the total engine is one presurized unit, try running with he valve cover a little loose or with a dodgy gasket and you'll understand that. Point is, didn't help me.
I'm looking with something that starts leaking pressure once the engine heats up. I was convinced it was the ring, infact when I first stripped the engine down the ring was very worn, replaced it thinking that I'd solved the VERY obvious problem- No! Then replaced all O rings, all Gaskets. Perfect for the first two minutes... then it starts bogging down at fuel throttle. The Bearings are the ONLY thing that I haven't replaced. And as mentioned, it was the first thing somebody mentioned when I discribed the problem. Rear Bearing heats up, expands a couple of thou' and leaks.[] You tell me. I'm waiing for you to get your engine back from service and hearing what caused the problem. lets hope it's soon.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the bearing is bad with increased friction, the exhaust's color will be quite dark. You will notice it when clean the fuse.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:40 AM
David Bathe

Oh yeah, I understand that... and as started, the bearing feels, looks perfect. No residue from what I can see, which isn't easy as it's using a pipe+stinger+tube.
There isn't really any oil on the airframe after a flight.
Very confusing... mind you, it's a good 10 years old at least and had 100s of gallons through it with ZERO problems so I've certainly had good value for the money.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 AM
nonstoprc

I know it could be hard to notice with a pipe setup. Maybe put the the engine on a test stand and hook up with a regular muffler? This is an easy test.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:51 AM
party pooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,  it took about 6 weeks to get the sudden power loss YS 63 back from Rich at Y.S. Repair.

Some of you wanted to know the outcome of  repair associated with this power loss issue.   

Y.S. replaced the following:

Piston $42.95

Cylinder Head  $82.95

Piston Ring  $19.50

rear bearing 13.25

front bearing 11.95

crankacae  48.95

All the above under warranty.   Non of my other Y.S.'s needed this much.   This engine just a fluke.

I have no clue what happend to the engine to get a new crankcase, but I would say YS Warranty is top shelf.

This action tells me they don't kid around when it comes to giving you what you paid for.   Don't know if Saito would do the same - maybe yes- maybe no - but I now know Y.S. does a proper warranty repair.

Party Pooper

Old 05-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It is good to hear all these nice things about YS service. It sounds like they did a complete diagnostic and overhaul, which in my opinion is worth 6 weeks. Most of us have at least one other engine or plane setup specifically to deal with these kinds of circumstances.

A wild guess is that something was amiss with the pour of the crank case and it very well may have lead to all the other problems. I had a similar experience with an OS; they found the case was imperfect and sent me a new engine.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
party pooper

Joe,

The only reason Imentioned the 6 weeks was not a complaint.Door to door post office to post office it was actuallyApril 10th sent out Priority Mail to May 21 back. tome. It was an old post. Some wanted to know the outcome of this mystery power loss cure.
Ionly mentioned the 6 weeks to refresh some memories that would have to reach back that far.

Iactually sent a YS and DAout the same day. Igot the engines back on exactly the same day and DAhas the legendary quick turn around service. DAand YScall you for your credit card before they ship back on repairs as opposed to warranty. The calls were 2 hours apart - DAcalled first. When Rich at YS called Isaid your are two hours behind DA. He said, well you bent your crankshaft so much, Ineeded the extra time to get it out. A joke on Rich's part.

My quess is that paying customers for repairs might receive faster service over warranty work which is really a cost loss pain for anyone. But no, I'm not complainning over the issue and thougt Ishould drop a line as to the extensive parts Y.S. Parts and Service but into a warranty. It will make me buy Y.S. again knowing corners were not cut.on a situation where the MFGloses on the repair.

PartyPooper.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:51 PM
nonstoprc

To YS...

The only complaint I have is the cost of the glow fuel, headingt to maybe $30 per gallon. Man, it sucks.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I didn't think you were complaining, the peanut gallery was just a little restless
Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 PM
party pooper

NonStopRc

well, I used the 30% for two years. now I'm using 20% CoolPower Heli. I forget the minimum oil content Y.S. demands  ....maybe it's  18% oil  conent (?) but I know you can go to 20 glow  if the  lube oil is a certain %.    Idle is not a good.  The power loss you may not notice.  

I'm thinking of going to gas, but my G 26 does not have that instant burst  and quick wind up of power that you get with a 4 stroke glow.   Bought a DA 50.  Have not flown it yet.  Heard its a different animal that my slow , heavy but very sturdy Zenoah.  Hope they are right.  My Zenoah is more a lazy Sunday flier.  

Friend bought the new Saito  four stroke gas ( the first one which is like a 220 glow(?) turned to gas.  It was not exactly a straight out of the box perfection, but my friend has zero mechanical ability.   I'm thinking about the newer 4 stoke Saito Gas (smaller) but a $525 - I'd have to fly that Saito Gas for a while to break even and some argue the complexity of a 4 stroke gas over a very simple two stroke gas.   Ok , more low end torque on the 4 stroke but most are hovering their 27% with a few clicks up on a DA 50.    How much more do you need?     My YS 63 sips glow.   I'm fine with it and own 2 of them   My YS 110 is about my threshold of size and thirst in a glow.    I feel a little pain feeding it, but it's too much fun to floor.    I may end up loving the simplicity of my DA 50 and it does not weigh much more than my little Zenoah 26E.   I'm amazed 5hp could weigh that.  Looking at the tiny crank case I have no clue how this engine will hold together over the years.  The crankcase is almost machined out just to the shape to house the bearings and a small crankshaft.   There is no excess in that casing.  I'm about to find out how long it holds togehter.   The quality seems high.     Maybe more DA 50's are where I'm headed, but I can't exactly toss  my 27% Paffy Wagstaff and DA  in the back of the car .   There just days my tiny Sig and YS 63 hit the spot.  

We lost some big plant in China with earthquakes which ran the glow fuel up.    I imagine that production will be replaced with a new processing plant and cheaper glow in about 2 years.   I bought  4 cases the week I heard the  Glo Processing Plant got destroyed.  

Party Pooper.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:50 AM
nonstoprc

The reality sometimes influences the decisions we made even for the fun.

Like Party Pooper, Ihave YS powered small planes and DA powered big ones. Each trip to field requires some thinking: which plane to fly this time? Iwish I can carry all of them and having limitless time there. But that is an impossibility.

I am not sure how long Iwill keep glow and gas powered planes in the fleet. I sure love the simplicity, low-cost, and less maintenance of flying gas planes and have a tendency to pick them more. The glow planes are more like secondary-class citizens, relatively.

Maybe downsizing the fleet is a way to go, sometimes down the road. Ifelt the same way 10 years back when deciding whether to keep both non-YS engines and YSengines around.

Human nature makes us to optimize, and to pick the best, all the time.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:33 PM
David Bathe

ORIGINAL: party pooper

Ok, it took about 6 weeks to get the sudden power loss YS 63 back from Rich at Y.S. Repair.

Some of you wanted to know the outcome of repair associated with this power loss issue.

Y.S. replaced the following:

Piston $42.95

Cylinder Head $82.95

Piston Ring $19.50

rear bearing 13.25

front bearing 11.95

crankacae 48.95

All the above under warranty. Non of my other Y.S.'s needed this much. This engine just a fluke.

I have no clue what happend to the engine to get a new crankcase, but I would say YS Warranty is top shelf.

This action tells me they don't kid around when it comes to giving you what you paid for. Don't know if Saito would do the same - maybe yes- maybe no - but I now know Y.S. does a proper warranty repair.

Party Pooper

Oh s#it.
Man that's a list. Least you kept the prop nut... that'll be a nice original touch.
I wish they'd given you an explanation to what the F' was wrong.
What they're basically saying is... I need a new engine!
Yippee.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:15 PM
party pooper

David,

Idid have a habit of flying the plane flat out - almost like Pylon racing. Iran Cool Power 30%. If anything most made fun of how rich Iran the engine, but Iwanted plenty oflubrication. From my point of view - no cowl and running fast gives it lots of cooling air past the fins. To another, they would argue the long extended and high rpm's would still simply produce wear since that piston ring and piston made a lot of rotation. Icould see running flat out - very rich - plenty of cooling wind flow would still get the bearings- the ring- the piston crown- and the cylinder head which has no liner. But Idon't get the new crankcase. Also this engine had maybe 7 gallons though it max. You may not approve of my flat out pylon racing type flying - but - a 3D flyer may have lower RPMbut he also has far less cooling wind going past the engine. YShad to move the Regulators on the S series out front of the engine and clip it on the push rod covers to expose it to more cooling air wash. Maybe I'll call Rich and ask about the crankcase replacement. Idunno the reason, but the moral of the story is even running rich and now cowl (Sig Something Extra ) exposed engine - your Y.S. or perhaps any engine is not safe running rich and plenty of air wash, if you run it around the park floored a lot. With my engine back, Iwill keep my flat outs much shorter and less frequent. I'm assuming these little pistons running past 11,000 rpm just don't last like lawn mower engines which runat perhaps 3600 rpm's. Granted , my flying style is not the norm. Iexpecteda longer wear out time, but then what else do weown outside of RCplanes that goes past 7,000 rpm letalone 11,000 ish type revolutions.

Party Pooper.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:00 AM
David Bathe

Great if you could ask them "what was actually wrong with my engine"
You said everything was fine and then a sudden loss of power (not a great deal) buy some at the top end as if it had gone slightly rich.
Just like I've witnessed.
That sound a kinda non critical symtom so why the TOTAL REBUILD.
Appears like they as confused as me... Thus the new engine.
Please ask and dig around some.
Strange thing was that some ol' YS dog mentioned bearing as soon as I mentioned the symtom.
Great if you could find out more.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:52 PM
party pooper

David Bath,

I did not reach Rich at Y.S. Repair but a Saito owner in my club said if a bearing is bad enough it can pound on the bearing seat of the crankcase and ruin it. He thinks that 's the reason for the new crankcase.
I find it hard to beleive, but he said Saito did it with one of his engines. From my point of view, Idid not hear any bearing rattle but unfortunalely Inever did check for any lateral play (movement to either side) of the cranksharf before Isent it back. I balance all my props with theexception of a change out at the field due to a break - but then Ibalance at home. This is not some 5 year old engine, but yes, Ifly flat out like a pylon racer on 30%and running rich. Inow balance my props like the giant scale guys. I balance not only at 3 and 9 o'clock for the two tips but also at 12 and 6 oclock (which balances the hub as opposed to the propeller tips) and then Icheck for tracking of each propeller tip in relationship to one stationary point. This would not have been a cheap out of warranty repair. It's almost the whole engine or $205 in repairs for a $250 engine. Idon't want to go there again out of warranty. Looking at the repair price, it would mean I'm better off buying new.

Iwill say this. My Zenoah 23 Iran flat out since it's not that powerful. No, the gassers don't have the instant blast of power of the 4 stroke Glows. Glo just has more power than gas, but the heavy and not too powerfull Zenoah 23 never gave me any bearing issues and dated back to 1990. It actually flew until the day the magnito died and Icould not find a magneto for a 1990 Zenoah and I was not willing to spend $150 on an engine that old to make it Electonic. It just hangs on the wall. Too bad the Zenoah Magnito went after the new ring and carb.

Party Pooper.