Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 160/170 pump question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:38 AM
Thinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 160/170 pump question

Being rather new to the world of YS, I've had a few trial and error approaches at working on these wonderful machines.
I have totally disassembled and assembled the engines a few times due to different miss-haps, and now the time has come to overhaul the pumps. Both on the 160's and 170's. And there were a few differences!

I have a quite basic question;
How has the pump-assembly changed over time, and what is the latest version?
Also, how do I know which spares fit which pump?

Having this post in mind;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_90...tm.htm#9179871
- All my pumps but one* has this problem.

(* One 170 pump has the pump valve groove on the oposite side)

I only discovered the differences in the pumps when taking them all apart at the same time, having bought some spare parts I hoped would fit (pump body and pump plate)...
The differences were;
- Pump valve groove on the oposite side of the pump plate/pump body (having black pump valves instead of white)
- Different pump valve springs (stiffer and shorter)
- Diameter and shape of the plunger (apperently same pump bodies, but different plungers!)

In the "old" 160 manual, the pump assy is called F2147A. In the newer part lists, it is called F8048A.

I was unable to use some of the spares I had, and I'm just wondering if I have to buy 3 new pumps...? (Cheaper than making the steel inserts in the body and plate).

I'm greatful for any answers here...
Old 07-29-2010, 03:32 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YS 160/170 pump question

Sorry for taking so long to answer this question but work is getting in the way of my fun.

The 1.70 pump has a little more volume and is a different part# with different components, but the entire pump assembly can be swapped fron 1.60 to 1.70 and vice versa.

I hope that helps...

Pete