Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

ZDZ80 Question for Mike

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 08:35 PM
HarleyRider
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ80 Question for Mike

[8D]I have a nearly new ZDZ80 that has never been flown. The previous owner advised he had run two tanks of fuel on a test bench(32oz). I have been unable to get the engine to idle slow enough for a landing. When I go to low idle it will slow down and after a few seconds it will quit. I have reset the needles and the timing and nothing helped. Starts good and the top end is 5500RPM with a 27/8.

Any ideas Mike?
Thanks
Tom
Old 09-25-2003, 11:33 AM
HarleyRider
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: ZDZ80 Question for Mike

While waiting for a reply I decided to go one step more. I removed the carb and washed it in gas. I then blew it out with air. I found an overhaul kit at a local power equipment shop. I replaced everything I could see. Engine now runs very well and it appears the idle will be ok without quitting. It seems strange it would take a replacement kit to cure this problem. Of course it could have been the cleaning of the carb that I did.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Do you have the Bing carb? Or the Walbro... I have noticed many people here on RCU having trouble with the Bing carbs and usually swap them out with the nicer Walbro carbs.

Steven
Old 10-01-2003, 06:41 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has the Bing and runs like a top!!

Sounds like your idle is either too lean or too rich.

Id also chuck that prop and put a 26x10 or 8 on it, your working the heck out of it