Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

RCS 180- Katana Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCS 180- Katana Update

I just got my first two flight in with the RCS 180 and WOW! What was I doing messing with those glow engines all this time. My dry weight came in at 13.5 pounds. I have a 16 oz tank mounted over the CG, I flew 10 min of IMAC type aerobatics landed and looked at the tank and there was still 1/3 left.

POWER, compared to the Saito 180 it is unbelievable the difference. I took off at 1/3 throttle and cruised around doing loops and rolls at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, full throttle vertical is unlimited (though not a rocket at the top). The engine sounds so smooth, I flew today with a Zinger 18X8. Unlike when I had the Saito 180 with a 32 oz tank mounted over the CG there was no change in weight distribution. The plane lands sooo much better now.

The people who say a plane this size can't handle a gas engine should fly my Katana. Another nice benefit when I was done flying I had only a few black specs on the underside from the exhaust which easily wiped off with one paper towel. With the Saito 180 I had glow gew all over the plane inside the cowl outside the cowl wings ect. I had some problems early on with the RCS 180 but in the end RC Showcase did the right thing by the warranty and replaced the engine, props to Mike Dooley.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:04 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RCS 180- Katana Update

Bike, glad to see you love your 180 as much as I love mine. My engine likes the 20x8 Mejzlik, and will hang at just less than half throttle at 13#. Not to mention climb out of sight at anything above half throttle.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: RCS 180- Katana Update

I don't have the ground clearance to spin a 20X8 unless I change the landing gear. What plane do you have you RCS 180 on? Do you know what numbers you are spinning with the 20X8?