Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

NOISE, NOISE AND MORE NOISE Silencing the ZDZ 80

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOISE, NOISE AND MORE NOISE Silencing the ZDZ 80

Okay boys, here is a challenge for you. The field I fly at has some pretty stringent noise rules in place when it comes to plane noise. Our planes can be NO louder than 95 decibels when measured from 10 feet with the plane 3 feet in the air from the exhaust side of the engine at full throttle.

I am in the process of putting together a 33% Hangar 9 Extra 330S with a ZDZ 80 Single for power. Now I ask you what sort of Muffler/silencer do you think I am going to need to meet thoise stringent standards? At present I have a In Fuse Silencer (from RC Showcase) that I am going to try and I also have a Bisson Inverted Pitts Muffler. The problem I find is the Bisson is very restrictive and I lose a fair number of RPMS. The reason I am generalizing here is I have not had a chance to tach the engine or measure the noise levels as yet but have that planned for this weekend, weather permitting. I will post the results when I am done.

Okay so I ask all you experts if you think I have a chance of meeting the noise rules of my club or am I wasting my time. If any of you have had any successes in this area please drop me a line.

Thanks guys
Old 01-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Mike Dooley/RCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NOISE, NOISE AND MORE NOISE Silencing the ZDZ 80

Very tough.. There is only so much you can do with a bolt on muffler. The Supersonic pitts is very effective. The only way to get it quiet enough to meet your very restrictive noise requirement is to mount the engine at approx 8 o'clock and run a header and a silencer between the landing gear, it has been done and it works...